• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

showing id

Grizzly25

Quick question, I just went through a state patrol checkpoint that was checking everyone's Id and insurance. Do I have to give it to them with no RAS.

Ezek

Quick question, I just went through a state patrol checkpoint that was checking everyone's Id and insurance. Do I have to give it to them with no RAS.

These are DUI checkpoints probably, several other places believe them to be unconstitutional, the point is to get you to roll down your window, so they can claim they smell beer on your breath or some other substance emanating from the car, you can place your ID card and your insurance card up against the glass of the window, so they can read it without giving them a false circumstance excuse, this will/should usually work.

Fallschirjmäger

Well, according to the Supreme Court it's the 'untold carnage on our highways caused by inebriated drivers. And although we realize that it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, we're gonna allow it because it's only a teensie-weensie one and everyone knows 'the end justifies the means'.'

Of course, if DUI went completely away tomorrow, the shift would just be to the new cause of 'untold carnage' once implemented such things seldom go away. The last time I can remember a bad idea being rescinded was back in December of 1933.

BTW, they're not checking ID, they are checking for a valid license to perform an action, i.e. drive a motorized vehicle on state highways.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
<chuckle>

The lower-case "id" in the thread title had me wondering whether police were going too far: "Now, sir. I'm not interested in checking your ego; I just need you to answer a few questions about your id."

:)

Of course, the proper pro-liberty response to such a question would be: "I wouldn't answer any questions without my therapist."

Grizzly25

<chuckle>

The lower-case "id" in the thread title had me wondering whether police were going too far: "Now, sir. I'm not interested in checking your ego; I just need you to answer a few questions about your id."

:)

Of course, the proper pro-liberty response to such a question would be: "I wouldn't answer any questions without my therapist."

Sorry, I just got done talking to the trooper and was going to be heading back that way in about 10 minutes. Time to get a reply was quick, I so badly wanted to stand my ground but needed someone else's input. I politely told her that I didn't have time to fight with her on the matter, but she had no right to demand my ID without RAS or a traffic violation, which she replied with "She does have the right"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sorry, I just got done talking to the trooper and was going to be heading back that way in about 10 minutes. Time to get a reply was quick, I so badly wanted to stand my ground but needed someone else's input. I politely told her that I didn't have time to fight with her on the matter, but she had no right to demand my ID without RAS or a traffic violation, which she replied with "She does have the right"

Your state motorist associations (AAA, etc.) will sometimes be interested in illegal roadblocks. I recall one that wanted its members to report every instance of a drug roadblock.

Also, you can skim the FAQs at Flexyourrights.org. I vaguely recall they addressed which roadblocks were legal and which were not.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, according to the Supreme Court it's the 'untold carnage on our highways caused by inebriated drivers. And although we realize that it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, we're gonna allow it because it's only a teensie-weensie one and everyone knows 'the end justifies the means'.'

Of course, if DUI went completely away tomorrow, the shift would just be to the new cause of 'untold carnage' once implemented such things seldom go away. The last time I can remember a bad idea being rescinded was back in December of 1933.

BTW, they're not checking ID, they are checking for a valid license to perform an action, i.e. drive a motorized vehicle on state highways.

I guess that would depend on whether the cop demanded, "I wanna see sum ID. From everybody in the car." Or, "Sir, I need to see your license and registration."

It occurs to me the OPer didn't really say.

Fallschirjmäger

I guess that would depend on whether the cop demanded, "I wanna see sum ID. From everybody in the car." Or, "Sir, I need to see your license and registration."

It occurs to me the OPer didn't really say.
True, I inferred that he meant the police were checking the ID of every driver that came through the checkpoint. Asking each occupant of a vehicle to present ID would be extremely hard to justify as a means of preventing 'the carnage drunken drivers cause on our highways'.

I'd also hope that any passenger in any vehicle asked to do such would most politely tell Officer Friendly to go pummel granular siliceous material.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Only ones of those I have been stopped at in MO besides local holiday weekend checkpoints were on Hwy 21 north of Pilot Knob. If traffic is sparse they checked everyone, if it is heavy they checked like every 3rd car. I have hit several through there over the years in about the same spot. They have never asked for anything besides DL and proof of insurance, taken a quick glance and then waved me about my day. I object in principle but they have never made it drawn out or asked about anyone else in the vehicle. It's been several years since I have been through there so don't know if it is still SOP to run them there.