Thread: What is happening with the repeal of the 48 hour waiting period? Rules Committee?

Centurion

What is happening with the repeal of the 48 hour waiting period? Rules Committee?

I see that the repeal of the 48 hour waiting period to purchase a handgun from an FFL, has been referred to the rules committee (in the house AB 49, and in the Senate SB 35) for both chambers. It appears to have passed the Senate, but not the House.

Does anyone know why it has gone to the rules committee, in both chambers, on the same date?

Here is a link to the legislative site:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/ab49

The 'Rules Committee' is really the Joint Committee for Review of Administrative Rules which duty is to review rules objected to by a standing committee.

Wisc. Stats. 13.56  Joint committee for review of administrative rules.
    (1)  Creation. There is created a joint committee for review of administrative rules, consisting of 5 senators and 5 representatives to the assembly appointed as are the members of standing committees in their respective houses from the majority and minority political parties in each house. In making the appointments, each house shall designate a cochairperson. The committee shall meet at the call of one of its cochairpersons.
    (2) Participation in certain proceedings. The cochairpersons of the joint committee for review of administrative rules or their designated agents shall accept service made under ss. 227.40 (5) and 806.04 (11). If the committee determines that the legislature should be represented in the proceeding, it shall request the joint committee on legislative organization to designate the legislature's representative for the proceeding. The costs of participation in the proceeding shall be paid equally from the appropriations under s. 20.765 (1) (a) and (b), except that such costs incurred by the department of justice shall be paid from the appropriation under s. 20.455 (1) (d).
    (3) Powers and duties. The committee has the powers and duties specified under ss. 227.19, 227.24 and 227.26.
    History: 1973 c. 90, 162; 1973 c. 334 s. 58; 1973 c. 336; 1975 c. 224; 1975 c. 414 s. 28; 1977 c. 29, 277, 449; 1979 c. 34 ss. 2qcm, 2102 (32) (b); 1979 c. 270; 1981 c. 253; 1983 a. 27; 1985 a. 182 ss. 1 to 6, 57; 2003 a. 33; 2005 a. 25.
    Cross-reference: See s. 227.19 (1) for a statement of legislative policy regarding legislative review of administrative rules. See s. 227.26 for review after promulgation of rules.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Centurion

Very interesting. I wonder if a standing committee objected to AB 49 or SB 35

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The 'Rules Committee' is really the Joint Committee for Review of Administrative Rules which duty is to review rules objected to by a standing committee.
    Thanks for the information. I wondered if it were a joint committee.

An objection may be recorded in the body's journal which are daily recorded in PDF, and, so, unfortunately, cannot be searched as a group but must be read regularly.

The Senate Journal - http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015...ournals/senate

SB35 has passed both houses.

They next need to "message" it to the governor for his signature. Sometimes this is "expedited", other times things sit for a pre-scheduled date. In this case, the next date for non-budget bills to be sent is August 6th.

Whenever it gets sent, he has 10 days to sign it (or veto it) - it becomes law if he doesn't veto it.

Whenever he signs it (or after 10 days), it gets published the next (business?) day by the WI LRB...and becomes effective the day after that.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

I thought I heard the other side complaining that to repeal the 48hr is not good because angry people who are bent on taking revenge will go and buy a gun and kill the offender. But this 48hr is a cooling period. Now this is a moot argument because the 'raging bulls' can use anything in sight to commit their crime. I hope we get it through and Walker signs it. I have this feeling that after purchasing a firearm, the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs. Nothing against you PIKEBITES.

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    I have this feeling that after purchasing a firearm, the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs. Nothing against you PIKEBITES.
    Pikebites?

I don't get what you mean by "the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs." What kind of power?

I do most of my selling online and at shows. Appointment only at my licensed location. It's a major pain for a customer to have to track you down to pick up their item. The dealer may be 50 miles away from where te show was, maybe more.

I think the cash and carry thing is a boon for both parties. I think more people will buy more guns knowing they won't have the hassle of having to come back and get it. A customer who might not buy at a gun show because of the waiting period now doesn't have to wait. It's a good thing all around, and the constitutional thing to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    Pikebites?

I don't get what you mean by "the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs." What kind of power?

I do most of my selling online and at shows. Appointment only at my licensed location. It's a major pain for a customer to have to track you down to pick up their item. The dealer may be 50 miles away from where te show was, maybe more.

I think the cash and carry thing is a boon for both parties. I think more people will buy more guns knowing they won't have the hassle of having to come back and get it. A customer who might not buy at a gun show because of the waiting period now doesn't have to wait. It's a good thing all around, and the constitutional thing to be done.
    A temporary surge of superiority. You know that unspoken feeling that makes the purchaser feel inferior, guilty etc... without the words. I didn't say you project it. I am sure you don't.
    Yes it is PKBITES, sorry.
    Last edited by Law abider; 06-19-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Bill went to the governor yesterday.

While he could veto, that's unlikely.

If he lets it sit, it becomes law by the end of next week. Sooner if he signs it.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Heard on WPR that the Governor plans to signs the 48hr wait bill and the officer school carry bill at sheriff's Clarks office.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 06-24-2015 at 07:45 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

A temporary surge of superiority. You know that unspoken feeling that makes the purchaser feel inferior, guilty etc... without the words.
    What dealer made you feel this way? It's weird. I wouldn't go back there.

.....and it has now been signed. Done and done.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the procedures now - it'll be "published" tomorrow, and in effect on Friday.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Quote Originally Posted by Teej View Post

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the procedures now - it'll be "published" tomorrow, and in effect on Friday.
    I just wish I had the funds to buy another handgun to celebrate this!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Congratulations!

Congratulations on having one more roadblock removed.

Just watch out if the legislature comes back with a One Gun A Month law - that can be a budget breaker.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I've purchased quite a few different firearms and I've never encountered this?

If anything, the FFL was apologetic that I had to come back, but it was out of their hands, as law.

Plenty of places to purchase. Spend your money where you get the best deal AND feel appreciated.

An older guy who owns the local store and has FFL But then he is not friendly with me anyway bec I OC in his store. When Act 35 was signed into law, this guy was going to put GFZ signs in his store and he sells guns and ammo also!! Go figure! But someone persuaded him to the contrary.

page not found

Can you clear the issue up a bit. Gov signed bill that removes 48hr waiting period and allows to carry in school grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I just wish I had the funds to buy another handgun to celebrate this!
    Tell me about it! same here... Till I retire then my purse gets a bit bigger.

Can you clear the issue up a bit. Gov signed bill that removes 48hr waiting period and allows to carry in school grounds?
    School grounds carry is restricted to the privileged class (off duty / retired LEO) but yes, the 48hr wait is gone...unless your name pops up as needing "more time".
    Last edited by Teej; 07-06-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

School grounds carry is restricted to the privileged class (off duty / retired LEO) but yes, the 48hr wait is gone...unless your name pops up as needing "more time".
    Has Nick Clark of WI carry have anything to say about this privileged class??

Has Nick Clark of WI carry have anything to say about this privileged class??
    Yes, on several episodes:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wellarmedradio
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I suppose even if you are carrying and have a CCL your name could still pop up as needing more time?

I talked to a friend of mine who works for a dealer in southern Wis.

He says they been selling 5 to 6 handguns a day he said they are getting there 80 or so percent of their checks back with in minutes.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do