• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is happening with the repeal of the 48 hour waiting period? Rules Committee?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I see that the repeal of the 48 hour waiting period to purchase a handgun from an FFL, has been referred to the rules committee (in the house AB 49, and in the Senate SB 35) for both chambers. It appears to have passed the Senate, but not the House.

Does anyone know why it has gone to the rules committee, in both chambers, on the same date?

Here is a link to the legislative site:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2015/proposals/ab49

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Very interesting. I wonder if a standing committee objected to AB 49 or SB 35

The 'Rules Committee' is really the Joint Committee for Review of Administrative Rules which duty is to review rules objected to by a standing committee.

Thanks for the information. I wondered if it were a joint committee.

Teej

SB35 has passed both houses.

They next need to "message" it to the governor for his signature. Sometimes this is "expedited", other times things sit for a pre-scheduled date. In this case, the next date for non-budget bills to be sent is August 6th.

Whenever it gets sent, he has 10 days to sign it (or veto it) - it becomes law if he doesn't veto it.

Whenever he signs it (or after 10 days), it gets published the next (business?) day by the WI LRB...and becomes effective the day after that.

Law abider

I thought I heard the other side complaining that to repeal the 48hr is not good because angry people who are bent on taking revenge will go and buy a gun and kill the offender. But this 48hr is a cooling period. Now this is a moot argument because the 'raging bulls' can use anything in sight to commit their crime. I hope we get it through and Walker signs it. I have this feeling that after purchasing a firearm, the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs. Nothing against you PIKEBITES.

pkbites

I have this feeling that after purchasing a firearm, the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs. Nothing against you PIKEBITES.

Pikebites?

I don't get what you mean by "the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs." What kind of power?

I do most of my selling online and at shows. Appointment only at my licensed location. It's a major pain for a customer to have to track you down to pick up their item. The dealer may be 50 miles away from where te show was, maybe more.

I think the cash and carry thing is a boon for both parties. I think more people will buy more guns knowing they won't have the hassle of having to come back and get it. A customer who might not buy at a gun show because of the waiting period now doesn't have to wait. It's a good thing all around, and the constitutional thing to be done.

Law abider

Pikebites?

I don't get what you mean by "the FFL person feels he has power over you for 48hrs." What kind of power?

I do most of my selling online and at shows. Appointment only at my licensed location. It's a major pain for a customer to have to track you down to pick up their item. The dealer may be 50 miles away from where te show was, maybe more.

I think the cash and carry thing is a boon for both parties. I think more people will buy more guns knowing they won't have the hassle of having to come back and get it. A customer who might not buy at a gun show because of the waiting period now doesn't have to wait. It's a good thing all around, and the constitutional thing to be done.

A temporary surge of superiority. You know that unspoken feeling that makes the purchaser feel inferior, guilty etc... without the words. I didn't say you project it. I am sure you don't.
Yes it is PKBITES, sorry.

Last edited:

Teej

Bill went to the governor yesterday.

While he could veto, that's unlikely.

If he lets it sit, it becomes law by the end of next week. Sooner if he signs it.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Heard on WPR that the Governor plans to signs the 48hr wait bill and the officer school carry bill at sheriff's Clarks office.

Last edited:

Teej

.....and it has now been signed. Done and done.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the procedures now - it'll be "published" tomorrow, and in effect on Friday.

protias

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the procedures now - it'll be "published" tomorrow, and in effect on Friday.

I just wish I had the funds to buy another handgun to celebrate this!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Congratulations!

Congratulations on having one more roadblock removed.:banana::monkey

Just watch out if the legislature comes back with a One Gun A Month law - that can be a budget breaker.:D

stay safe.

Wstar425

What dealer made you feel this way? It's weird. I wouldn't go back there.

I've purchased quite a few different firearms and I've never encountered this?

If anything, the FFL was apologetic that I had to come back, but it was out of their hands, as law.

Plenty of places to purchase. Spend your money where you get the best deal AND feel appreciated.

Law abider

What dealer made you feel this way? It's weird. I wouldn't go back there.

An older guy who owns the local store and has FFL But then he is not friendly with me anyway bec I OC in his store. When Act 35 was signed into law, this guy was going to put GFZ signs in his store and he sells guns and ammo also!! Go figure! But someone persuaded him to the contrary.

Law abider

Can you clear the issue up a bit. Gov signed bill that removes 48hr waiting period and allows to carry in school grounds?

Teej

Can you clear the issue up a bit. Gov signed bill that removes 48hr waiting period and allows to carry in school grounds?

School grounds carry is restricted to the privileged class (off duty / retired LEO) but yes, the 48hr wait is gone...unless your name pops up as needing "more time".

Last edited: