Thread: NRA: Gun blogs, videos, web forums threatened by new Obama regulations

NRA: Gun blogs, videos, web forums threatened by new Obama regulations

Commonly used and unregulated internet discussions and videos about guns and ammo could be closed down under rules proposed by the State Department, amounting to a "gag order on firearm-related speech," the National Rifle Association is warning.

In updating regulations governing international arms sales, State is demanding that anyone who puts technical details about arms and ammo on the web first get the OK from the federal government — or face a fine of up to $1 million and 20 years in jail.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nr...rticle/2565762
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Tell Putin I'll 'have more flexibility after the election'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Chipping away at the Constitution little by little.

Could this headline have just said "give NRA more money or else"? Pffft

UPDATE! Obama: ‘Gag Order’ On Firearm Coverage.

The proposal would institute a massive new prior restraint on free speech. This is because all such releases would require the ‘authorization’ of the government before they occurred. The cumbersome and time-consuming process of obtaining such authorizations, moreover, would make online communication about certain technical aspects of firearms and ammunition essentially impossible.

Public comments on the proposed changes to ITAR will be accepted until August 3, 2015. You can submit those comments at regulations.gov or e-mail them to DDTCPublicComments@state.gov with the subject line indicating the comments concern the ‘‘ITAR Amendment—Revisions to Definitions; Data Transmission and Storage.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...earm-coverage/

DDTCPublicComments@state.gov
    DDTCPublicComments@state.gov
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-08-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    The worst of it is that I think his intent to limit 2A rights through restriction of 1A rights is very, very real. We can't afford to wish this away.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If he intends to shutdown firearms talk, I can't see it getting past the courts. Not sure who is doing scare tactics in this case, Obama, or a pro gun organization looking for new members.

Even Obama is not this stupid. But the public often is...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I'll file this in the "well, I guess you can try" file. Right next to "good luck with that".
    I tried reading the Federal Register entry and my eyes crossed. I used to read and interpret it for a living (well, part of making my living), but this was all kinds of poorly written.
    As usual, I think the NRA's interpretation is wrong, kind of like the alarm over the small arms treaty.

State Researcher
    Disclaimer:

I am not going to provide citations. I am not going to discuss nor disclose why or how I know what I put forth below. Take it for what it is worth if you choose.

ITAR and other federal laws governing the "export" of "munitions" or "dual use" items (or technical information related thereto) to "non-US-persons" carry significant criminal and civil penalties. Decades in prison and hundreds of thousand of dollars in fines. And this threat is not to be dismissed lightly.

That said, these laws have limits in them. It is not considered an "export" of munitions nor munitions related technical data if the data is already widely published and available in text books, library books, etc. The feds don't get to put you in jail for discussing what is contained in 10 different books published over the last 20 years. The laws apply to technical information, not to laws, compliance with laws, nor social activism.

Unless the discussions are in the realm of manufacturing details for new and novel firearms or ammo I think we'd be hard pressed to find anything in firearms related forums that could credibly qualify as export controlled information. Even reloading discussions are virtually always nothing more than passing along information and experience well documented in long published guides and manuals.

Given the direction of the SCOTUS the last 30 years on freedom of speech issues, it is hard to imagine this not getting struck down should it get that far. Doesn't mean it won't be an unpleasant fight for the first poor fellow to get hit with it. On the flip side, we might get to see the ACLU defend something RKBA related.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    He may not be that "stupid" but as he's only a puppet, anything is possible. He IS however, arrogant enough to try.

Look at how he and his ilk have tried to get political dissent re-classed as "hate speech"!
    Both sides have tried to stifle speech of the other. It's dirty politics, but dirty lobbying is no better. The public will see us as loons for over reacting, and we will lose respect. When he actually does gag firearms speech such as the letter to Cody Wilson I will step up, but Cody was not arrested. NRA did not even bother to mention the SAF lawsuit for him, maybe they were afraid that SAF would get the money. This is what bothers me most about this fiasco, there is a lawsuit based on gagging the 2A and they are not bothering to mention it, or even get on board.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The parallels to IngSoc doublespeak/doublethink are becoming unavoidable. See Nineteen Eighty-four.

"Orwell claimed that we should be attentive to how the use of language has limited our capacity for critical thought just as we should be equally concerned with the ways in which dominant modes of thinking have reshaped the very language that we use." (Andrew N Rubin. "The Rhetoric of Perpetual War" apparently disappeared!)
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-14-2015 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The worst of it is that I think his intent to limit 2A rights through restriction of 1A rights is very, very real. We can't afford to wish this away.
    Agreed. The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First, but ONLY if we actually exercise both on a regular basis.

Posting opinions on message forums might make us feel good, but it doesn't amount to squat on Capital Hill.

Intead, write your Congressmen. Better yet, call them on the phone -- often -- and let them know precisely how you feel about the issue.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Agreed. The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First, but ONLY if we actually exercise both on a regular basis.

Posting opinions on message forums might make us feel good, but it doesn't amount to squat on Capital Hill.

Intead, write your Congressmen. Better yet, call them on the phone -- often -- and let them know precisely how you feel about the issue.
    unfortunately, you have to get around the gate keepers...check their schedules and visit them in person when they are in town...go to their ad hoc fundraisers (don't have to contribute) be seen with the policy makers.

figure out how to be friends (city council members/mayor etc.) with a friend who knows the gate keeper(s) and work meeting up with them.

lettters and calls any more are inefficient because of the gate keepers...emails you have to get through the computer overseer.

get out and mingle...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-20-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain