Thread: Very confused Nevadan who will be visiting soon

Very confused Nevadan who will be visiting soon

Hello California comrades,

I am from Reno, and I will be going on a beach camping trip down in Santa Cruz june 22-30, and I'm wondering if I should even bother to bring my handgun. Through the research I have done it seems like all I could do is drive my gun down there in the trunk of my car unloaded while my ammo stays in a different container, also out of reach. And once I get to the campsite it has to stay there, because open carry is illegal loaded or not, and I don't have a conceal carry permit. Am I missing anything? Do I get any rights other than the right to have my gun in the general area locked away out of reach? Also I believe since Santa Cruz county has more than 200,000 residents all those bans are effective.

However the law specifically states campsites as being an exemption where it is otherwise lawfully allowed... Sooooooo can I have my gun in my tent at least since it is a campsite in a temporary residence? I've read a lot about the California courts interpreting this differently.
    Last edited by Jagorilla; 06-07-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    “Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    George Washington

If you choose to interpret the rules such that you can bring your gun, don't wave it around, threaten people with it, or shoot/kill anybody with it, and you "should" be okay. In Santa Cruz, I'm not positive, but they will not suddenly search you unless there is probably cause (I believe that is the law even in California). Don't give "them" any...

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, and any advise/opinion I given directly or indirectly does not set a legal precedent with which you could use in your defense should you need such. I take no responsibility in how you conduct yourself, forthwith to infinity and beyond. And of course YMMV...

Maybe you should just stay home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    If you choose to interpret the rules such that you can bring your gun, don't wave it around, threaten people with it, or shoot/kill anybody with it, and you "should" be okay. In Santa Cruz, I'm not positive, but they will not suddenly search you unless there is probably cause (I believe that is the law even in California). Don't give "them" any...

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, and any advise/opinion I given directly or indirectly does not set a legal precedent with which you could use in your defense should you need such. I take no responsibility in how you conduct yourself, forthwith to infinity and beyond. And of course YMMV...

Maybe you should just stay home!!!
    Well the point is that I dont break any laws in the first place. Yes I could probably bring it and no one would be the wiser if I just behaved as a responsible gun owner, but just because I don't agree with a law doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed. Laws need to be challenged in lawful ways that are protected. And it's not how I interpret the law but how the California Legislature/ courts/ police interpret the law that counts. I'm not worried about being randomly searched. Im worried about breaking the law.
    “Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.”
    George Washington

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

Check here...me, I'd not travel to Kalifornistan.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare