• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Very confused Nevadan who will be visiting soon

Jagorilla

Hello California comrades,

I am from Reno, and I will be going on a beach camping trip down in Santa Cruz june 22-30, and I'm wondering if I should even bother to bring my handgun. Through the research I have done it seems like all I could do is drive my gun down there in the trunk of my car unloaded while my ammo stays in a different container, also out of reach. And once I get to the campsite it has to stay there, because open carry is illegal loaded or not, and I don't have a conceal carry permit. Am I missing anything? Do I get any rights other than the right to have my gun in the general area locked away out of reach? Also I believe since Santa Cruz county has more than 200,000 residents all those bans are effective.

However the law specifically states campsites as being an exemption where it is otherwise lawfully allowed... Sooooooo can I have my gun in my tent at least since it is a campsite in a temporary residence? I've read a lot about the California courts interpreting this differently.

Last edited:

MontanaResident

If you choose to interpret the rules such that you can bring your gun, don't wave it around, threaten people with it, or shoot/kill anybody with it, and you "should" be okay. In Santa Cruz, I'm not positive, but they will not suddenly search you unless there is probably cause (I believe that is the law even in California). Don't give "them" any...

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, and any advise/opinion I given directly or indirectly does not set a legal precedent with which you could use in your defense should you need such. I take no responsibility in how you conduct yourself, forthwith to infinity and beyond. And of course YMMV...

Maybe you should just stay home!!! :lol:

Jagorilla

If you choose to interpret the rules such that you can bring your gun, don't wave it around, threaten people with it, or shoot/kill anybody with it, and you "should" be okay. In Santa Cruz, I'm not positive, but they will not suddenly search you unless there is probably cause (I believe that is the law even in California). Don't give "them" any...

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer, and any advise/opinion I given directly or indirectly does not set a legal precedent with which you could use in your defense should you need such. I take no responsibility in how you conduct yourself, forthwith to infinity and beyond. And of course YMMV...

Maybe you should just stay home!!! :lol:

Well the point is that I dont break any laws in the first place. Yes I could probably bring it and no one would be the wiser if I just behaved as a responsible gun owner, but just because I don't agree with a law doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed. Laws need to be challenged in lawful ways that are protected. And it's not how I interpret the law but how the California Legislature/ courts/ police interpret the law that counts. I'm not worried about being randomly searched. Im worried about breaking the law.