• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Christian Science Monitor Article on OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

solus

saw the title and got the popcorn and Reds and sat down justa wait'g

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
LOL How can even the title of the messenger be tolerated, imagine, Christian and Scientist in the same phrase?

Since you failed to use the "sarcastic font" I will simply point out that the Christian Science Monitor is a very credible news source.

As for Christian and Scientist, no shortage of Scientists who are very devout Christians (or others of faith).

Sadly, there is also no shortage of scientists who are as subject to the small minded bigotries one would hope might be absent in the well educated, thoughtful, and brilliant.

To wit on both points, this excerpt from the Wiki article on Henry Eyring.

Wiki said:
Henry Eyring (February 20, 1901 – December 26, 1981) was a Mexican-born American theoretical chemist whose primary contribution was in the study of chemical reaction rates and intermediates.

A prolific writer, he authored more than 600 scientific articles, ten scientific books, and a few books on the subject of science and religion. He received the Wolf Prize in Chemistry in 1980 and the National Medal of Science in 1966 for developing the Absolute Rate Theory or Transition state theory of chemical reactions, one of the most important developments of 20th-century chemistry. Several other chemists later received the Nobel Prize for work based on it, and his failure to receive the Nobel was a matter of surprise to many.[1] The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences apparently did not understand Eyring's theory until it was too late to award him the Nobel; the academy awarded him the Berzelius Medal in 1977 as partial compensation.[2] Sterling M. McMurrin believed Eyring should have received the Nobel Prize but was not awarded it because of his religion.[3]

Eyring was elected president of the American Chemical Society in 1963 and the Association for the Advancement of Science in 1965.

Eyring was a member of the LDS Church throughout his life. His views of science and religion were captured in this quote: "Is there any conflict between science and religion? There is no conflict in the mind of God, but often there is conflict in the minds of men."[6] Eyring also feared overeager defenders of faith would discard new scientific findings because of apparent contradictions. He encouraged parents and teachers to distinguish between "what they know to be true and what they think may be true," to avoid clumping them together and "throwing the baby out with the bath."[7]:245–247

As a member of the LDS Church, Eyring served as a branch president, district president, and, for over twenty years, a member of the general board of the Deseret Sunday School Union. His son Henry B. Eyring is currently an apostle and member of the First Presidency of [T]he [C]hurch [of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or LDS / Mormon Church)]."

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
I found this article at the Christian Science Monitor site.

Excepting perhaps the use of the word "arsenal" I found the article well written, and nicely balanced. Good solid reporting, just as I'd expect from that publication (which is, admittedly, not nearly as libertarian as many here).

This topic has been debated a lot here and I don't intend to go through that all again.

I will simply observe that one's goal in OCing is to increase public/social acceptance of RKBA and thus advance the statutory respect for RKBA, I believe that is best accomplished by pushing the envelope gradually.

Charging past all social mores is likely not to be nearly as effective and might even lead to backlash.

There may well be places where OCing a rifle is only slightly beyond social norms. But in urban/suburban Utah, 4 or 5 men choosing to do so did not help us in some related legislative efforts. What should have been a 1 or 2 year effort to get some protections against bogus charges of Disorderly Conduct (along with several other catch all laws) for OCers turned into a 4 or 5 year fight because each year shortly before our legislative session there was a case of someone OCing a rifle around a shopping mall or something similar. Of course, the anti-gun media played these up. We were finally able to get protections for OCers whose guns are holstered. We haven't yet been able to successfully address some of the other laws (disrupting a school activity) that some entities have threatened against lawful OCers.

If someone is just going to do something because it is legal and he can, so be it. But he shouldn't pretend or claim that his conduct is advance RKBA if that conduct is not helping with social or legal advances.

We used to see gun owners on here frequently quoting Heinlein on good manners and polite society. And I've never read anyone willing to disparage his words. But since I've pointed out that Heinlein's charge imposes at least as much obligation on those who carry guns as it does on those who don't, he has become a lot less popular it seems. It is easy to declare that others' feelings are not a mortgage on our rights. But Heinlein's words remind us that the total situation is a bit more complicated than that and that we do have some obligation to consider our manners.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein

Charles

solus

well with his son's church credentials i certainly see why his father got the write up...

you have no critical thinking skills whatsoever do you piper...the church mentioned the son's LDS' achievements in his father's wiki write up...REALLY?

you're too easy to respond to slights but your narcissistic mentality still felt the need and you had the gall to use it as a reference to prove a some misguided point?

btw the popcorn is great...care for some

ipse

Last edited:

cjohnson44546

Christian Scientist are not Christian, nor scientists. The name is basically stolen, as they do not follow Christ.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

images

If you can walk around like this then don't say anything about the AR slung over someone's back

sudden valley gunner

Oh my goodness what a claim. Cant be christian and a scientist? That one just boggles my mind.

Just read The Invention of Air a book about a scientist, whom the founders (especially Jefferson) highly respected, Joseph Priestly the guy who discovered oxygen and founded the Unitarian church.

solus

sorry cjohnson, you missed the easter religious discussion last month a while ago, thankfully it is closed...

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I will support to the death this guy's right to be an idiot!

When it comes to idiots, I always support their rights to the death--their death, not mine. :)

Seriously, though, +1. Yeah. We gotta support everybody's rights. Where we don't, government can drive a wedge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.