• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Things family members/friends say about you OCing

Trakanon

I'm sure you guys have heard some good ones. It's been less than a week of OC for me and already I've heard a few.

A friend told me that by OC I am making myself a target. Someone, either police or a random thug, is going to see my gun and just start shooting at me.

My wife and sister are worried that if I'm in a situation where someone is going to rob the store I'm in, they are going to shoot me first. My thoughts are that if someone is going to rob a store, they are probably going to assume that the clerk is armed as well and decide to not rob the store.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Yes, you will hear all the cliches about your decision to defend yourself. After a while it will fade. Your friends and family will eventually accept it as a part of you and go on with real life.

When confronted with a "boilerplate term" (you will get shot first), get inquisitive and ask for some evidence that it would occur. It gets better in time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm sure you guys have heard some good ones. It's been less than a week of OC for me and already I've heard a few.

A friend told me that by OC I am making myself a target. Someone, either police or a random thug, is going to see my gun and just start shooting at me.

My wife and sister are worried that if I'm in a situation where someone is going to rob the store I'm in, they are going to shoot me first. My thoughts are that if someone is going to rob a store, they are probably going to assume that the clerk is armed as well and decide to not rob the store.

For years we have made a challange to show us one (1) such incident. Many have tried, all have failed.

Show me one instance in modern times in the USA, where a legal OCer has been preemptively shot/taken out - cite required. Military and law enforcement are excluded. Might it happen one day - of course - but when it does the ratio/odds will resemble .00001% Those are the odds I accept 365 da/yr. :)

J_dazzle23

For years we have made a challange to show us one (1) such incident. Many have tried, all have failed.

Show me one instance in modern times in the USA, where a legal OCer has been preemptively shot/taken out - cite required. Military and law enforcement are excluded. Might it happen one day - of course - but when it does the ratio/odds will resemble .00001% Those are the odds I accept 365 da/yr. :)
Isn't there some (un)official lump sum of money sitting around here for the (not gonna happen) winner? :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Isn't there some (un)official lump sum of money sitting around here for the (not gonna happen) winner? :)

Yes. A three-figure sum (with Washington's portrait on the front).

Way back when it mattered to me I'd take out a $5 or $10 bill, put it on the table, and ask "How long do we have to wait for that not to happen before I can take your money?"

Then it was "Yes, dear." (You know - with that tone of voice.)

Nowadays if someone is really pushing the issue I may tell them I've been OCing for X years and it's not happened yet. Most of the time I just do the :rolleyes: thing and talk about anything else.

stay safe.

J_dazzle23

Yes. A three-figure sum (with Washington's portrait on the front).

Way back when it mattered to me I'd take out a $5 or $10 bill, put it on the table, and ask "How long do we have to wait for that not to happen before I can take your money?"

Then it was "Yes, dear." (You know - with that tone of voice.)

Nowadays if someone is really pushing the issue I may tell them I've been OCing for X years and it's not happened yet. Most of the time I just do the :rolleyes: thing and talk about anything else.

stay safe.
Hahahaha. Awesome.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I forgot to add:

Most often you are getting those comments because the person saying them is concerned about and/or cares for you. Be nice to those folks.

stay safe.