Thread: Who needs a gun when hiking?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Who needs a gun when hiking?

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A teen boy is in the hospital after a bear attack in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Saturday.

Superintendent Cassius Cash says, "While incidents with bears are rare, we ask park visitors to take necessary precautions while hiking in bear country and comply with all backcountry closures, the safety of our visitors is our number one priority.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headli...306416511.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

From 2008
    Once hunted nearly into obscurity by humans, black bears are now on the rebound in much of North America - and on the attack.

Black bear attacks on people have increased steadily over the last two decades, as have the number of people killed - now totalling 62, said one of North America's foremost authority on bear attacks, Stephen Herrero of the University of Calgary.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-n...ith-black-bear
    Tough situation.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Most of the time we eat the bear some times the bear eats us
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

That was in North Carolina. Our bears are mostly more courteous.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A teen boy is in the hospital after a bear attack in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park Saturday.

Superintendent Cassius Cash says, "While incidents with bears are rare, we ask park visitors to take necessary precautions while hiking in bear country and comply with all backcountry closures, the safety of our visitors is our number one priority.

http://www.local8now.com/home/headli...306416511.html
    Use spray, anything less then a full power .357 won't stop a black, and for a grizzly no handgun will reliably put them down when they're adrenaline rushed, carry a 9 for human predators and use bear spray for Ursa
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Use spray, anything less then a full power .357 won't stop a black, and for a grizzly no handgun will reliably put them down when they're adrenaline rushed, carry a 9 for human predators and use bear spray for Ursa
    Can my heirs, assigns, and creditors quote you on that?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post

May be one should reconsider the spray idea it is not the magic bullet you think it is.

One should do a bit of studying on the effectiveness of handguns actual reports show they work quite well.

Case of both 9mm and 45acp stopping charging bears.

Having personally shot several bears including some 400 to 500 lb plus black bears with an handgun I can tell you they are dead.

EMN have you ever shot a bear?

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/10...n-studies.html
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 06-12-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

LOL Clearly there are bears and there are bears, and there are hikers and hikers. Evidence of bears bears little evidence of hazard to hikers except perhaps to park hikers from park bears..
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Always

If i'm in the woods, i always take some protection.