Thread: Error in first sentence of Wash Post story - reply from author

Error in first sentence of Wash Post story - reply from author

I received this reply from the author of today's Wash Post article on the Texas pool party incident.(Marc Fisher) . I took exception to the first sentence of the story, which give the impression that the officer drew his gun right after kneeling on the resisting subject. Marc replied within a few minutes, with this explanation:
    Thanks for your note. The story did not say that Casebolt pointed his gun at the girl he'd forced to the ground. Rather, you are of course correct that he pulled his service weapon in response to the two boys who charged up to him while he was dealing with the girl. The first sentence of the story merely lists some of the officer's questionable actions, which took place in sharp contrast to the more calming and appropriate behavior of his fellow officers on the scene. Thanks for reading the story.

Best,

Marc Fisher
    The Washington Post
    fisherm@washpost.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:34 AM
    To: Fisher, Marc; Hermann, Peter
    Subject: Mistake in first sentence of your Texas police story

The officer did not draw his gun until he was confronted by several males while trying to control the subject who was resisting arrest.

Sent from my iPad

Quote Originally Posted by efriday View Post
    I received this reply from the author of today's Wash Post article on the Texas pool party incident.(Marc Fisher) . I took exception to the first sentence of the story, which give the impression that the officer drew his gun right after kneeling on the resisting subject. Marc replied within a few minutes, with this explanation:
    Thanks for your note. The story did not say that Casebolt pointed his gun at the girl he'd forced to the ground. Rather, you are of course correct that he pulled his service weapon in response to the two boys who charged up to him while he was dealing with the girl. The first sentence of the story merely lists some of the officer's questionable actions, which took place in sharp contrast to the more calming and appropriate behavior of his fellow officers on the scene. Thanks for reading the story.

Best,

Marc Fisher
    The Washington Post
    fisherm@washpost.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:34 AM
    To: Fisher, Marc; Hermann, Peter
    Subject: Mistake in first sentence of your Texas police story

The officer did not draw his gun until he was confronted by several males while trying to control the subject who was resisting arrest.

Sent from my iPad
    That's all well and good, but how about a link to the article you referenced??

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    That's all well and good, but how about a link to the article you referenced??
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...8c6_story.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.