• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Error in first sentence of Wash Post story - reply from author

efriday

I received this reply from the author of today's Wash Post article on the Texas pool party incident.(Marc Fisher) . I took exception to the first sentence of the story, which give the impression that the officer drew his gun right after kneeling on the resisting subject. Marc replied within a few minutes, with this explanation:
Thanks for your note. The story did not say that Casebolt pointed his gun at the girl he'd forced to the ground. Rather, you are of course correct that he pulled his service weapon in response to the two boys who charged up to him while he was dealing with the girl. The first sentence of the story merely lists some of the officer's questionable actions, which took place in sharp contrast to the more calming and appropriate behavior of his fellow officers on the scene. Thanks for reading the story.

Best,

Marc Fisher
The Washington Post
fisherm@washpost.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:34 AM
To: Fisher, Marc; Hermann, Peter
Subject: Mistake in first sentence of your Texas police story

The officer did not draw his gun until he was confronted by several males while trying to control the subject who was resisting arrest.

Sent from my iPad

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I received this reply from the author of today's Wash Post article on the Texas pool party incident.(Marc Fisher) . I took exception to the first sentence of the story, which give the impression that the officer drew his gun right after kneeling on the resisting subject. Marc replied within a few minutes, with this explanation:
Thanks for your note. The story did not say that Casebolt pointed his gun at the girl he'd forced to the ground. Rather, you are of course correct that he pulled his service weapon in response to the two boys who charged up to him while he was dealing with the girl. The first sentence of the story merely lists some of the officer's questionable actions, which took place in sharp contrast to the more calming and appropriate behavior of his fellow officers on the scene. Thanks for reading the story.

Best,

Marc Fisher
The Washington Post
fisherm@washpost.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:34 AM
To: Fisher, Marc; Hermann, Peter
Subject: Mistake in first sentence of your Texas police story

The officer did not draw his gun until he was confronted by several males while trying to control the subject who was resisting arrest.

Sent from my iPad
That's all well and good, but how about a link to the article you referenced??