Thread: OC Alabama

OC Alabama

I've been wanting to OC in Alabama for a couple weeks now and I was wondering what Alabamas laws are on open carry. I've heard that Alabamas laws are very vague when it comes to OC but I was wondering if anyone else knows alabamas laws.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Welcome aboard OCDO Zeke94.

Moved your post to the Alabama sub-forum as the information you seek is state specific.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-10-2015 at 05:28 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I don't believe there is any specific law in AL concerning OC. However, the law that was passed in 2013 (SB213?) did clarify that simply OCing did not constitute Disorderly Conduct.

Basically, AL law on carrying firearms is that you need a permit to carry concealed or while in a vehicle. OCing on the street is totally legal - without a permit. Once you conceal or get into a vehicle, permit required.

I've been OCing in AL since late 2010 with a Glock 23 and a S&W 329PD since March 2011. Never had a problem, never had the cops called on me. The state trooper that pulled me over Nov. 2014 couldn't care less that I was armed ("don't pull yours, I won't pull mine!" - said with a smile).

In any event, here is the actual gun law site:

The specific law for concealed and/or vehicle carry is section is

Good luck and carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post

....The state trooper that pulled me over Nov. 2014 couldn't care less that I was armed ("don't pull yours, I won't pull mine!" - said with a smile).
    I like that trooper's line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Memphis, TN
    I have a TN carry permit, and visit AL often to visit family. I don't know if I'd OC without a recognized permit just because the laws aren't very specific in regards to it, and it would be a pain (and dangerous) to unload the gun and secure it to drive somewhere. I do OC at times though in AL, and probably will some more this weekend when I'm back there… I've never had any issues or anyone give any funny looks.