Thread: LADY JUSTICE GOES TO COURT. PubliusPapers1787, 9 May 2015

LADY JUSTICE GOES TO COURT. PubliusPapers1787, 9 May 2015

Picking at a raveling thread that likely began here on OCDO, I found this gem.

https://publiuspapers1787.wordpress....es-to-court-2/

Reading it, parsing it, closely I realized that much trouble is born of perusal and its shift in meaning, from close study to mere scanning. The etymology is from to use up and wear our.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The average gun owner, unlike the average voter, will read past #2...

Thus the effort is lost on all but the choir...
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The average gun owner, unlike the average voter, will read past #2. Thus the effort is lost on all but the choir.
    LOL We got coloratura sopranos here, even falsettos in our choir.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Reading it, parsing it, closely I realized that much trouble is born of perusal and its shift in meaning, from close study to mere scanning. The etymology is from to use up and wear our.
    Yep, the most accurate meaning of the word is to read with great attention, but many people misuse it in the form of 'giving a casual glance to.'

What struck me was the way the word 'state' has changed meaning.
    When our country was founded, each state was a State, having it's own governing body, and raising it's own armies. This lasted all the way up to the War of Southern Separation, again with each State having it's own military forces (the Armies of Virginia and Maryland, the Tennessee Volunteers, Massachusetts 4th Calvary Regiment, etc.) the 'regular army' the Federal Army numbered about 16,000.
    We referred to ourselves as "... these United States" and "... the United States are". But after unification the concept of States was destroyed, we became states and used "the United States is" as a singular entity and states were only mere geographical place names. Even our state militias, and State National Guards were absorbed into the Federal system.

Other nations have representatives in Washington, corporations have representatives in Washington, ... but there is No state representation in Washington. Not a single state legislature is able to send a representative to represent the state's interests in Washington.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 06-10-2015 at 10:54 AM.

... aaaannnnddddd... I just realized I'm posting about something linked to but not in the article originally posted. I hope everyone will forgive me if I don't delete it, I find the subject worthwhile in its own right.

Well,,,

My favorite so far,,,,,

For those who reference my verse,
    Some quotes are not precise
    Because to make them metrical
    And have the lines rhyme thrice
    I had to take some liberties
    And make a sacrifice,
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    [ ... ] Other nations have representatives in Washington, corporations have representatives in Washington, ... but there is No state representation in Washington. Not a single state legislature is able to send a representative to represent the state's interests in Washington.
    I remembered which amendment did away with the several sovereign states representation in the US Legislature, The Seventeenth Amendment ratified 1913, after Lincoln-16 killed the union to save the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I remembered which amendment did away with the several sovereign states representation in the US Legislature, The Seventeenth Amendment ratified 1913, after Lincoln-16 killed the union to save the Union.
    Originally, under Article I, § 3, Clauses 1 and 2 of the Constitution, each state legislature elected its state's senators for a six-year term.[4] Each state, regardless of size, is entitled to two senators as part of the Connecticut Compromise between the small and large states. (Plagiarized from Wikipedia)

With direct election of both Senators and Representatives, there is no longer a balance of power between states having equal representation (Senators) and states having more representation merely because of population (Representatives). Senators are beholden to the public by being elected instead of to their state legislature.

Senators are just stuffed-shirt jokes on representation. Do away with the Congress and go unicameral, like we're really under one Ruling Party with no effective anti-progressive opposition.