• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No weapons signs in Paducah park.

CharleyCherokee

Noble park has signs that state weapons aren't allowed in any Paducah parks. I've emailed the park director and told him that the signs were illegal because of preemption they can't ban guns from the park. His reply was that guns aren't prohibited but all other weapons are. In reply to this I told him that guns were weapons and that he should at least put the exception of firearms so people wouldn't be confused. He said he'd just let the police sort it out. I can't afford a lawyer to deal with this and none around here will take it probono. On top of all this the water dept. Prohibits employees from having guns. I stopped by city hall to get an employee hand book and it makes no mention of firearms at all in the book. I was told that the water dept. has a separate handbook so I asked water dept. for one. They said I could get it from city hall. The doors were posted against employee carry the last time I went there and that has been a while ago now. Sometimes this town frustrates the crap out of me because all the officials act as if the rules are made for everyone but them.... Sorry about the rant and paragraph structure but you'll have to excuse it because I'm at work on my phone.

CharleyCherokee

Pictures.
IMG_20150610_154946_013[1].jpg

Park Sign.jpg

I had to crop it because it was too big to upload, however, I've sent you a picture of this sign before through email, Gutshot.

Last edited:

JoshGoshR

hmmm... it sounds like the park director should do something about that sign but is too lazy to

CharleyCherokee

You are correct I said water company but meant the joint sewer agency. The water company was posted but they took their signage down. I knew about the emergency declaration law and have discussed it previously with the City Council and Mr Pederson however I did not know about the homeless shelter law. The door that is photographed is an employee only door. I saw no entrances there for anyone other than employees.

CharleyCherokee

I'm going to stop by the JSA tomorrow and ask about their employee handbook. Also they meet the fourth Thursday of every month so I'll stop by there then. Seems I will also have to talk to the city council about their ordinances again as well. I will update by Friday.

Last edited:
Mr. Gutshot Sir:

I have had this Group/Forum in my favorites/bookmarks listing for quite a while now. Daily I at least breeze over the information offered through Kentucky Open Carry. Today, after reading another of Mr. Gutshots, ah....let say....interventions, I just had to join if only just to say, Sir you bring the whole bunch to the table. You do this very very well and thanks very much for doing it.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have had this Group/Forum in my favorites/bookmarks listing for quite a while now. Daily I at least breeze over the information offered through Kentucky Open Carry. Today, after reading another of Mr. Gutshots, ah....let say....interventions, I just had to join if only just to say, Sir you bring the whole bunch to the table. You do this very very well and thanks very much for doing it.
Kentucky certainly has a treasure in Gutshot - but he's not the only one who *could* bring things to the table. He's a good teacher and could certainly use the assistance of more Kentuckians in the endeavors he undertakes for ALL of Kentucky's gun owners.

My hope is that you and others will reach out to him in order that the powers-that-be have more than his talents to contend with.

CharleyCherokee

Update

Couple of days late with this but they took down one of the signs at Noble park, however, the one at the main entrance remains. Furthermore, the doors at the JSA are still posted.

xdnky

I have been watching this thread. Thank you gutshot for all you do. I would love to be more active in these things. Problem is, I run a business in which I am in peoples homes every day. I have many loyal customers. Sadly, if I were publicly active in this, I would loose a lot of business since I work in peoples homes where many times the wife ( and sometimes kids) is the only one at home. I'm sure many people would choose to do business with someone else if they had to worry about me having a gun. It's sad and frustrating but that's the way it is. It's reality. I shouldn't have to be in fear of loosing my business because of standing up for my constitutional rights. I am active in the larger picture as far as giving money, calling my Senators and Congressmen etc, but as far as locally, I'm not. I know a lot of people in high places in Paducah and that makes it even worst.
Thank you gutshot. I must admit I feel inadequate.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have been watching this thread. Thank you gutshot for all you do. I would love to be more active in these things. Problem is, I run a business in which I am in peoples homes every day. I have many loyal customers. Sadly, if I were publicly active in this, I would loose a lot of business since I work in peoples homes where many times the wife ( and sometimes kids) is the only one at home. I'm sure many people would choose to do business with someone else if they had to worry about me having a gun. It's sad and frustrating but that's the way it is. It's reality. I shouldn't have to be in fear of loosing my business because of standing up for my constitutional rights. I am active in the larger picture as far as giving money, calling my Senators and Congressmen etc, but as far as locally, I'm not. I know a lot of people in high places in Paducah and that makes it even worst.
Circumstances or money may not permit you to do all of the kinds of work that Gutshot has and continues to do, but have you ever calmly talked to a non-gun owner about guns, about the law, or about the lies they've been told? Have you ever dispelled any myths about gun owners simply by how you conduct yourself? Have you ever introduced someone to shooting (with a .22, not a cannon)?

If you've done any of those things, then you've made a difference. Do what you can, do what you're comfortable with, and do what works for your personal and career situation. When you're able, do more. Until then, you've played a positive part.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I empathize with your situation and have recently been frustrated by similar business/personal considerations as well. However, if we all did what we could from donating a few $ here and there to the common cause of protecting 2A rights, to writing a letter, making a phone call and otherwise supporting the more public faces of our common cause we can help make significant progress together.

xdnky

There is no reason to feel inadequate. There are a lot of people that are in similar situations. For one reason or another, they are unable to do all that they feel they would like to do or should do. I was one of those people for a long time. I worked outside the United States and wasn't around much. Only when I retired was I able to become much more active. The solution to your problem is for you to just do what you can. Become a member of KC3. Membership is only $20/year and your membership will help in all of these things. If you want to do more, make a donation to KC3. I can guarantee that it will be used 100% for this kind of work. Maybe you could direct me to some of those people that you know or spot some illegal signs or policies for me to fix. We have some exciting things coming up. In the meantime, keep doing what you have been doing.

I would gladly point out signs and such. As far as who I know, I'd rather not mention names but a couple of them I know well enough that I'd sit down and talk to them about an issue, such as the signs at Noble Park, if it came to that. Some of them are liberal, but they'd understand the law is the law. I will donate to KC3. Thanks again.

xdnky

Circumstances or money may not permit you to do all of the kinds of work that Gutshot has and continues to do, but have you ever calmly talked to a non-gun owner about guns, about the law, or about the lies they've been told? Have you ever dispelled any myths about gun owners simply by how you conduct yourself? Have you ever introduced someone to shooting (with a .22, not a cannon)?

If you've done any of those things, then you've made a difference. Do what you can, do what you're comfortable with, and do what works for your personal and career situation. When you're able, do more. Until then, you've played a positive part.

Yes I've talked to many non-gun owners about guns. I discussed ccw with a liberal friend of mine 2 weeks ago. I said "So how about all the times permit holders use guns for self defense"? His response " It never happens". How do you convince someone that is that out of touch that guns are a good thing? This guy is pushing 60 yrs old. He never locks his doors, even when his kids were at home. A lot of liberals just believe they will never be a victim of crime and when they go their entire life without being a victim, it just enforces it. It's the younger people that need to be reached.
Yes I've introduced several people to shooting, but they're still a liberal.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Yes I've talked to many non-gun owners about guns. I discussed ccw with a liberal friend of mine 2 weeks ago. I said "So how about all the times permit holders use guns for self defense"? His response " It never happens". How do you convince someone that is that out of touch that guns are a good thing? This guy is pushing 60 yrs old. He never locks his doors, even when his kids were at home. A lot of liberals just believe they will never be a victim of crime and when they go their entire life without being a victim, it just enforces it. It's the younger people that need to be reached.
Yes I've introduced several people to shooting, but they're still a liberal.
This is just SOME, and this is just Ohio: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-chl-holders-acting-self-defense

Here's some more information for you: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/myth-3-25-million-defensive-gun-uses-each-year-cant-be-accurate

Now, I recognize that you may not be able to penetrate the deep, dark recesses of the mind of someone who pays more attention to their mistaken beliefs than reality, but at least you can remind them that you know better, and have pointed out (possibly repeatedly) the inaccurate nature of their statements.

As far as converting people from liberal to conservative, I think that's a bigger mountain than either of use could climb, so I'd just settle for incrementally introducing them to experiences and facts in order to knock down their orthodoxy.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The signs at the Joint City/County Sewer Co. came down a few weeks later and tonight (Tuesday, Oct. 6) there were amendments to the two illegal ordinances given their first reading at the City Commission meeting. It has taken 30 months to get them to comply...
Great work! It's sickening that it took so long.