• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COSTCO Anti Firearm heads up !

solus

That's fine with me, although I don't know whether I live up to his ideals and level of integrity...

But I'll be honest - I've never seen the show! :shocker: Just heard about it, and read a little. Castigate me if you will! ;)

er, uh, um, well, gee...not that i'm that olde to remember to eagerly watch them on my family's apple crt bw tv, but perhaps, oh, right i watched them in reruns, ya ya, that's it i saw them in reruns...

you should watch them on youtube...

ipse

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

That's fine with me, although I don't know whether I live up to his ideals and level of integrity...

But I'll be honest - I've never seen the show! :shocker: Just heard about it, and read a little. Castigate me if you will! ;)

er, uh, um, well, gee...not that i'm that olde to remember to eagerly watch them on my family's apple crt bw tv, but perhaps, oh, right i watched them in reruns, ya ya, that's it i saw them in reruns...

you should watch them on youtube...

ipse

I dont mind tellin ya,,, that nothin was finer than gettin up on Saturday mornin and not goin to skool!!!

In stead of that crap,, turn on the old B&W tv for a stream of ,,
Have Gun will Travel
Gun Smoke
Raw Hide
Sky King
Wagon Train
The Rifle Man
Maverick
Andy Griffith/Mayberry RFD

Oh my,,, who/what have I forgot,,, I dont know,, It Has been along time...

utbagpiper

Banned
Oh God, here we go again... It's not enough to pollute the other Costco thread with this crap... now you have to destroy yet another one?

Your opinion has already been stated... now why don't you let others have their say? I, for one, am getting mighty tired of this endless nitpicking and bickering with anyone who responds!

Now, now. I don't agree with FTG-05's implication that anyone who disagrees with him lacks backbone. But I wouldn't go so far as to call his post "pollution". That is what you meant, isn't it?

Let's try to respect each other's positions without suggesting anyone is failing the cause, lacks backbone, is polluting threads, etc. Such bickering is not productive.

I've made clear that I'm ok with others' choices regarding Costco (and Starbucks and other retailers). Where I get annoyed is those who believe they are being pure in denying business to "anti-gun businesses" when they happily shop in businesses that disarm employees, stop selling handguns because some customers are uncomfortable with handguns, or otherwise have various anti-gun policies or practices, and then choose to belittle, denigrate, or insult anyone whose choices are a tad different than they own.

The nitpicking, sniping, and insults on the subject of boycotting Costco have come almost exclusively from the holier-than-thous who don't care if employees are disarmed, but get very offensive if pro-RKBA persons don't boycott the same stores they do.

Charles

OC for ME

The premise of some folks, Costco's policy and the enforceability of it in the respective state, is a false premise. Costco is not anti-gun per se, they are anti-private citizen with a gun. This is why I do not patronize Costco et al.

solus

I dont mind tellin ya,,, that nothin was finer than gettin up on Saturday mornin and not goin to skool!!!

Have Gun will Travel
Gun Smoke
Raw Hide
Sky King
Wagon Train
The Rifle Man
Maverick

what happen to roy,dale, pat brady and trigger, lone ranger, gene autry and cisco kid...

don't forget one of the first tv shows broadcast in color...bonanza (other two disney and LWelk)

oh wait you are talking about watching the reruns aren't ya...oh my, you're but a young'n huh!!

ipse

Have Gun - Will Carry

Have Gun will Travel
Gun Smoke
Raw Hide
Sky King
Wagon Train
The Rifle Man
Maverick

Yeah, but for some reason I always watched the Saturday morning cartoons, even after I was old enough not to... Never got into Westerns much, and I never liked the Andy Griffith show either - too sweet & sappy for me. Sure, I watched a little Gunsmoke and Maverick when I was much younger, but they didn't do much for me at the time.

But now AMC plays several hours of The Rifleman on Saturday mornings - lately I've been catching that, and I have to say, Chuck Connors was great in that role! (That might even be slightly influenced by Repeater's avatar, so hats off to him!) That's a pretty good show, and I've been recommending it to people.

I'll have to check out Youtube for Have Gun - Will Travel, and see if Paladin is anything like me. :lol:

Have Gun - Will Carry

Now, now. I don't agree with FTG-05's implication that anyone who disagrees with him lacks backbone. But I wouldn't go so far as to call his post "pollution". That is what you meant, isn't it?

No. It's not. And I'd be willing to bet that everyone here knew exactly who I was referring to. Even you, despite your feigned innocence...

Let's try to respect each other's positions without suggesting anyone is failing the cause, lacks backbone, is polluting threads, etc. Such bickering is not productive.

I'm not suggesting any of that, except for the polluted threads. I'd simply like the bickering to stop, but I guess that's too much to expect, isn't it? :banghead:

I've made clear that I'm ok with others' choices regarding Costco (and Starbucks and other retailers).

Yes, we're all well aware of that. Thanks for saying it yet again though, in case there was anyone still wondering... :rolleyes:

Where I get annoyed is those who believe they are being pure in denying business to "anti-gun businesses" when they happily shop in businesses that disarm employees, stop selling handguns because some customers are uncomfortable with handguns, or otherwise have various anti-gun policies or practices, and then choose to belittle, denigrate, or insult anyone whose choices are a tad different than they own.

The nitpicking, sniping, and insults on the subject of boycotting Costco have come almost exclusively from the holier-than-thous who don't care if employees are disarmed, but get very offensive if pro-RKBA persons don't boycott the same stores they do.

Charles

Regarding the bold text above... not true. Not even close. From where I sit (and I'm sure others feel the same way), at least 50% of it comes from you, Charles. I realize you're in denial about your propensity to argue and will vehemently dispute that assertion, but I'm calling it the way I see it.

Given your past history, I expect a wall of text passive-aggressively berating me for my opinion (couched in the nicest of terms, of course!) Well, save it - I have no intention of debating this. I've stated my opinion, and unlike others here (hint, hint) I have no need to pound it into others' heads by constant repetition. This is very likely the last word on the subject from me - at least in this thread.

Have a nice day!

utbagpiper

Banned
No. It's not. And I'd be willing to bet that everyone here knew exactly who I was referring to. Even you, despite your feigned innocence...

There was no feigned ignorance; merely a rhetorical device that allowed me to respond with greater civility than you directed toward me. Accusations of polluting threads are fairly harsh.

I'm not suggesting any of that, except for the polluted threads. I'd simply like the bickering to stop, but I guess that's too much to expect, isn't it?

I'd love for the bickering to stop. It is very easy. When people stop accusing anyone who doesn't follow them in their boycotts as spineless, traitors to the cause, etc, there will be no more bickering since neither I nor anyone else who chooses to lawfully ignore "no gun" policies at businesses have berated anyone for their choice to boycott.

Yes, we're all well aware of that. Thanks for saying it yet again though, in case there was anyone still wondering...

So if you are so clear on that point, why are you accusing me of polluting threads, or bickering? I'm not the one telling anyone else they are wrong to boycott. I'm simply acting defensively when others accuse me of being wrong for not boycotting.

Regarding the bold text above... not true. Not even close. From where I sit (and I'm sure others feel the same way), at least 50% of it comes from you, Charles. I realize you're in denial about your propensity to argue and will vehemently dispute that assertion, but I'm calling it the way I see it.

Actually, you're probably just about right. There is a group here who disagree with me on various issues including boycotting, anarchy, etc. Half of the bickering posts come from that group, but spread among a half dozen posters. The other half are my responses to them. PMs I've received indicate there are others who agree with my positions, but most just get tired of being verbally beaten for disagreeing with a few vocal members who think being pro-RKBA/OC requires us to agree on everything else. I'm less likely to be cowed into silence.

This isn't a copwatch forum. It isn't an anarchist forum. It isn't an anti-religion forum. And I'm willing to respond to those who act like it is. I guess the question I have to ask myself is whether countering posts on those lines is more damaging to the purposes of the forum than ignoring them. I actually greatly appreciate thoughtful disagreement. I have little tolerance for dogmatic claims that someone else is a heretic over minor differences of viewpoint, or even major differences on non-RKBA/OC issues. You're not the one of those I'm thinking of as I write this.

Given your past history, I expect a wall of text passive-aggressively berating me for my opinion (couched in the nicest of terms, of course!) Well, save it - I have no intention of debating this. I've stated my opinion, and unlike others here (hint, hint) I have no need to pound it into others' heads by constant repetition. This is very likely the last word on the subject from me - at least in this thread.

Have a nice day!

Sorry about the wall of text. I hope I've not berated you at all, even where I disagree.

A good day to you as well.

Charles

solus

roflmao...and it comes to pass as prophesied...

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

ipse

ps: yepper you lived up to your name...

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

The premise of some folks, Costco's policy and the enforceability of it in the respective state, is a false premise. Costco is not anti-gun per se, they are anti-private citizen with a gun. This is why I do not patronize Costco et al.
I think (my opinion) that some folks understand quite well that the property owner isn't telling guns to stay out but is telling them as an individual, as a person, to stay out as long as they carry a gun. And the problem arises when that individual thinks they are so special no one can tell them to stay out. How dare some mere property owner single them out as not being allowed to come into a store/business that everyone else is allowed to go into just because they are carrying a gun!!!!

And from that ego based butt hurt comes a plethora of excuses for ignoring and disrespecting the rights of the property owner. Excuses that range from the demand that the right to bear arms be respected above all other rights to putting convenience and saving a few bucks above principle because every business is anti gun in some way somewhere down the line so it doesn't matter anyway.

While it is difficult to find any definitive number of people who own guns (as it should be!)

http://www.statisticbrain.com/gun-ownership-statistics-demographics/

puts that number at 34% in 2014 and the .gov

http://www.census.gov/

says there are 321,104,447 (and rising as we speak) people in the U. S. sooooo.... 34% of those millions equals 109,175,511 gun owning customers. That is a whole lot of buying power to influence the business owners decisions on gun rules/policies. And where does that power start? It starts with you, and me, putting our buying power behind the right to bear arms instead of using excuses to justify convenience and saving a few bucks.

utbagpiper

Banned
I think (my opinion) that some folks understand quite well that the property owner isn't telling guns to stay out but is telling them as an individual, as a person, to stay out as long as they carry a gun. And the problem arises when that individual thinks they are so special no one can tell them to stay out. How dare some mere property owner single them out as not being allowed to come into a store/business that everyone else is allowed to go into just because they are carrying a gun!!!!

You can come in, so long as you don't look too gay...or black...or Irish. Ugly stuff there bikenut.

If you want to defend private property rights to the point of repealing anti-discrimination laws, have a ball. But please don't do so while representing yourself as a gun owner. Just what we need, another excuse for the media to paint gun owners as mouth breathing, red-neck, white, bigots.

Now, to be clear, I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the property rights claims. Especially when it comes to forcing bakers and florists not just to provide service to individuals, but to use their talents to support and promote events that violate their conscience.

But when it comes to denying service to someone over his skin color, his or her sex, national origin, or even sexual orientation? That is pretty tough to defend.

Do we respect the right of every grocery store in a small town to refuse service to whatever unpopular minority the town wishes to keep out? Shall motels be allowed to deny a room to sleepy travelers whose lack of a room becomes a personal and public safety issue? Are we going to force blacks to either stay home or risk wetting or soiling themselves because restrooms are off limits to them? Shall the handicapped be excluded from major segments of society because wider doors, ramps around stairs, or other modest means of access are "too costly" or someone's insurance agent would rather not assume the "risk" of accommodating those who might be more likely to fall down?

Do privately owned hospitals get to deny entrance to "undesirable" minorities? Or do owners of "essential" services have fewer rights than run-o'-the-mill grocery stores, restaurants, and movie theaters? If so, by what principle? And I might point out that some folks will go a lifetime and never need a doctor, but we all need food every couple of days at least.

I ask these questions knowing that the sanctimonious will dismiss them as mere excuses. The true believing libertarians and anarchists will wave the magic wand of "free market". But the thoughtful and open minded might consider on them and ask why gun carriers remain among the last to enjoy any legal protections when we are merely exercising a constitutionally enumerated right that just happens to be inextricably linked to the preservation of innocent life itself.

Do we really value property, mere property, over the right to effectively defend life and limb?

The presence of my gun--even OCd, but especially CCd--imposes what cost on a business owner? What damage does it do to his property?

But the lack of my gun in the moment it is needed--either in the store or while coming or going--results in very tangible risk to my very life and limb.

I just shop elsewhere you claim? Except maybe I can't. I certainly can't just work elsewhere as virtually every employer has adopted these anti-gun employment policies.

If YOU are willing to sit at the back of the bus, or forego bus service entirely in a slavish devotion to "private property rights" be my guest.

I'm not really interested in that and will not only reserve my right to carry where legally permissible despite private business policies to the contrary, but will continue to actively work for laws to make rank discrimination against lawful gun owners and gun carriers as illegal as parallel discrimination against the disabled, racial minorities, and other protected groups.

Make your choices. I won't attack you even if I disagree.

But it is well past time to climb down off some high horses and stop attacking those who choose differently than you do. Yours is not the only valid opinion or course on how to most effectively respect and restore RKBA.

Charles

Last edited: