• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COSTCO Anti Firearm heads up !

mastiff69

Wife, mother & I went to Costco to shop as we have a membership, in the past before we joined Costco, we were told that legal fire carry was Ok, by their legal Dept !
PS that is a BIG lie as the only thing that they allow is you & your money, your 2nd amendments right are not welcome !
They welcome police officers this info is in their application form on the bottom right side under general rules !

You must leave your firearm in your car. My wife was open carrying a baby Sig with a Cpl & the GM of the store a woman of all things told her to take that weapon to her car as it is not allowed in their private club store. There headquarters legal department will not speak to me ( SO heads up before you join Costco's Private club)

They want your money, but don't want your rights exercised in their stores !

PS there numbers for your info, PS be nice !
Costco 1 425 313 8100 Headquarters ask for legal, feel free to leave your opinion of there anti firearm rights...

Mastiff

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Wife, mother & I went to Costco to shop as we have a membership, in the past before we joined Costco, we were told that legal fire carry was Ok, by their legal Dept !
PS that is a BIG lie as the only thing that they allow is you & your money, your 2nd amendments right are not welcome !
They welcome police officers this info is in their application form on the bottom right side under general rules !

You must leave your firearm in your car. My wife was open carrying a baby Sig with a Cpl & the GM of the store a woman of all things told her to take that weapon to her car as it is not allowed in their private club store. There headquarters legal department will not speak to me ( SO heads up before you join Costco's Private club)

They want your money, but don't want your rights exercised in their stores !

PS there numbers for your info, PS be nice !
Costco 1 425 313 8100 Headquarters ask for legal, feel free to leave your opinion of there anti firearm rights...

Mastiff

this is true. i posted several recorded conversations. one with store management, the other with their phone customer support. also posted a copy of an internal memo which is the only place the anti-gun policy is written down. it's not in their membership agreement (as many people incorrectly state). i ended up open carrying at a store for nearly a year before they told me to stop. i had just bought several hundred dollars worth of merchandise. i returned it all, went home and brought back everything i had purchased their that wasn't nailed down or used.

FTG-05

Antigun companies like costgo stay in business soley due to so-called gun owners who's support for the 2nd amendment is so shallow it can be compromised with nothing more than a promise of a $1.98 hot dog special meal.

The truth, I know it hurts, but that's a fact.

jfmi

Antigun companies like costgo stay in business soley due to so-called gun owners who's support for the 2nd amendment is so shallow it can be compromised with nothing more than a promise of a $1.98 hot dog special meal.

The truth, I know it hurts, but that's a fact.
I doubt that's the 'sole' reason. So what exactly are you doing to change it other than not shopping there?

If you run out of places to shop because of a particular stance you'll eventually have to invest significant land, capital, and labor so you can home brew absolutely anything you need or want including food without having to worry about what the anti-2A stance of acquiring or consuming that product represents. Now that's what I call hyperbole.

Michigander

They only post signs in regions where ocing is very common. It is very clear they want non gun afficianado ccers to not know they are anti gun.

OC Freedom

They only post signs in regions where ocing is very common. It is very clear they want non gun afficianado ccers to not know they are anti gun.

I tried to get Costco here in Boise Idaho to put up nice large signs stating "no firearms", but no dice. This would inform Idahoans of their stance and would impact their business. Management knows how pro-carry/gun Idaho is and they want the public to stay ignorant to the policy.

utbagpiper

Banned
I tried to get Costco here in Boise Idaho to put up nice large signs stating "no firearms", but no dice. This would inform Idahoans of their stance and would impact their business. Management knows how pro-carry/gun Idaho is and they want the public to stay ignorant to the policy.

It seems they are so interested in keeping the policy secret that it is rarely enforced in pro-RKBA areas anyway.

At what point is a policy so weak, as to not really be a policy anyway?

utbagpiper

Banned
I doubt that's the 'sole' reason. So what exactly are you doing to change it other than not shopping there?

If you run out of places to shop because of a particular stance you'll eventually have to invest significant land, capital, and labor so you can home brew absolutely anything you need or want including food without having to worry about what the anti-2A stance of acquiring or consuming that product represents. Now that's what I call hyperbole.

Exactly.

Almost every national chain or large business has some anti-RKBA policies, including at least no-gun employment policies.

Several large chains (including Starbucks) have "requested" that people not OC in their stores, but have done nothing to enforce the request. It seems that in some cases the request was really to stop dragging businesses into the RKBA debate by having OC events in the stores.

Ultimately, we each have to draw our own line of where a corporation's policies on RKBA (or any other issue near and dear to us) rises to the level that we need to withdraw our business. I believe current reality is that it simply isn't feasible for most gun owners to limit their business dealings to only those companies that are overtly pro-RKBA. Nor do I believe most of us are in any practical position to refuse to do business with every company with anti-gun employment policies. Several members here have made succinct but powerful arguments for why they personally ignore obscure "requests" not to OC and conduct their business without regard to such things.

I have chosen to personally draw my line at the level of "actively attacking my RKBA" through lobbying for bad laws, material financial support for the Brady Bunch of similar anti-gun groups, actively preventing the lawful possession of guns in their stores either through the use of searches or by invoking State laws (where available) that give legal force to their policies, or similar conduct. Most large corporations donate to both sides of the political spectrum and being lop-sided one way or the other doesn't hit my trigger. Not to mention that in far too many cases, republicans are no better on RKBA than democrats.

A separate, but related discussion from the issue of patronizing "anti-gun" businesses, is the issue of respecting private property rights.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
They were sure big on enforcement of it when I was in Arizona.

Seems to be kind of regional thing. There has been zero enforcement here in Utah of which I'm aware; though to be fair, I think most folks just conceal or at least casually conceal in Costco rather than OCing.

And I do apologize to the OP. I just realized this was Michigan specific thread, as opposed to the Costco thread in the general discussion area. State specific laws and culture can make a huge difference in these matters and my prior responses on this Michigan thread were not considering any Michigan specific issues.

Charles

FTG-05

I OC every day and everywhere I go, with the following exceptions:

- The local court house (vehicle licenses and titles etc.)
- The USPS.

Krogers, Sams, Publix, liquour stores, hardware store, local grocery stores, vet office, doctor's office, etc. etc. etc.

It's not hard. It does take backbone though. Something the costco deniers apparently have a shortage of as evidenced by their ridiculous arguments as to why it's ok to shop there. Your post was an excellent example, as is UTbagpiper/whatever his name is typical blather on this same subject.

utbagpiper

Banned
IIt's not hard. It does take backbone though. Something the costco deniers apparently have a shortage of as evidenced by their ridiculous arguments as to why it's ok to shop there. Your post was an excellent example, as is UTbagpiper/whatever his name is typical blather on this same subject.

Blather eh? The deniers are those like yourself who think you are avoiding businesses with anti-RKBA policies. You're not. You're just avoiding those stores with policies that personally affect you.

And then being awfully self-righteous and sanctimonious about it. Pretty hypocritical.

Charles

Last edited:

Have Gun - Will Carry

Oh God, here we go again... It's not enough to pollute the other Costco thread with this crap... now you have to destroy yet another one?

Your opinion has already been stated... now why don't you let others have their say? I, for one, am getting mighty tired of this endless nitpicking and bickering with anyone who responds!

Have Gun - Will Carry

Now, so that no one accuses me of bashing in a thread I haven't even posted in... A new Costco just opened last week in Kenosha, WI, and I drive past it to get to work every day. Personally, I don't give a rattus buttock what their enforcement policy is... OR their firearms policy for employees, since I'm not employed there... simply knowing that they don't want my guns in their store is enough for me - they obviously don't want my money spent there either.

I won't set foot in that dump as long as their anti-gun policy is in place. For those who will........ whatever.

solus

Oh God, here we go again... It's not enough to pollute the other Costco thread with this crap... now you have to destroy yet another one?

Your opinion has already been stated... now why don't you let others have their say? I, for one, am getting mighty tired of this endless nitpicking and bickering with anyone who responds!

Paladin, absolutely a PLUS ONE, (if i might call you by your name...:shocker:)

ipse

Rusty Young Man

To the OP:
Costco has stipulated that only LEO are not prohibited from carrying in their stores (not OCing or CCing, ALL forms of lawful carry).
http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

Costco Membership Conditions said:
GENERAL POLICIES
Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.
Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.
Animals are not permitted in Costco warehouses unless admission is required by applicable law.

Again, it seems to cover any and all lawful carry.

+2

Now, so that no one accuses me of bashing in a thread I haven't even posted in... A new Costco just opened last week in Kenosha, WI, and I drive past it to get to work every day. Personally, I don't give a rattus buttock what their enforcement policy is... OR their firearms policy for employees, since I'm not employed there... simply knowing that they don't want my guns in their store is enough for me - they obviously don't want my money spent there either.

I won't set foot in that dump as long as their anti-gun policy is in place. For those who will........ whatever.

Agree wholeheartedly with the bolded portion. I USED to shop at Costco before I got into OC (carry, in general) and learned of their corporate policy. Now, I shop at Sam's Club and those who know me no longer ask if I want to buy something or want something bought at Costco.
Casualties: convenience and travel time (Sam's is further from me). Gains: cleaner conscience, feel-goods, and avoiding double standards.

For me, principle overrides convenience.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

This post may be deleted without hesitation if it is deemed off topic

Other places I do not patronize BECAUSE of their anti-RKBA corporate policy (among other things, sometimes):
Target
Starbucks (don't drink coffee anyways)
Panera something-or-other
Los Altos Ranch Markets (loved the spicy, crispy shrimp, but no more:(; the name changed, as it used to be Pro's Ranch Market)
Jack in the Box (food wasn't all that good anyways)

Funny thing, my unwillingness to patronize anti-RKBA businesses extends to gun ranges:
Both Marksman Pistol Institute locations here in Tucson, which are the only indoor ranges in Tucson. The owner spoke out against Constitutional Carry, and said that now any idiot could walk in off the street with a gun on his hip; while paraphrased, I could not in good conscience patronize a business who refers to their clients using such words. I mostly shoot pistols, but I'd rather go 13-27 miles out of my way to patronize a gun range that isn't anti-RKBA. As I said, principle should override mere convenience.

Last edited: