Thread: Interactive linguistics tool detects political 'framing'.

Interactive linguistics tool detects political 'framing'.

As communication strategists gear up for the 2016 presidential campaign – trying to manipulate public opinion with "message framing" – communication researchers are recruiting political news junkies in a nationwide test of a tool called FrameCheck.
    [ ... ]
    "For instance, an article about health care – framed to emphasize issues of cost – might use language that talks about Medicaid, insurance premiums, costs for patients or tax burdens," Baumer explains. "In contrast, an article that frames health care in terms of equality might describe economic or racial disparities, gaps between the majority and minorities or differences in the quality of care that different patients receive."

http://frameworksinstitute.org/framecheck.html

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-interac...political.html

Like the flu shot, message inoculation won't last forever - with a weakened form of the other side's argument – should arm the public with anti-baloney sentiments against persuasive messages in the future.
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-1...tion-wont.html

Testing and Comparing Computational Approaches for Identifying the Language of Framing in Political News
    http://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstrea...15_Framing.pdf 210 KB 11 pages

Peeling the wild leek of ignorant solipsism, one framed layer at a time.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-11-2015 at 07:17 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I already have an interactive linguistics tool, and mine is supercharged with neural programming.

I keep it between my left and right ears.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    snippppp....

Peeling the wild leek of ignorant solipsism, one framed layer at a time.
    uh, you are going to volunteer night?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    SNIP As communication strategists gear up for the 2016 presidential campaign trying to manipulate public opinion with "message framing" communication researchers are recruiting political news junkies in a nationwide test of a tool called FrameCheck...
    <chuckle>

I wonder where plain old lying and deliberate distortion fits into that picture.

I wonder which filter sorts out whether the political writer inserted enough language vilifying the opposition, encouraging readers to hate them. And, scare tactics--which filter checks whether enough scariness was written into the message about what would happen if The Other Side gets their way instead?
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-21-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    <chuckle> wonder where plain old lying and deliberate distortion fits into that picture.
    I learned about 'framing' from my acquaintances in NORML and ACLU, at lectures held at the Charleston Public Library almost next door to Emmanuel AME Church.

The world knows the name of evil, who knows the names of the victims? Framing the issue?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I was going to post a new thread talking about the pathetic and almost ludicrous actions of the US intelligence service which is much, much more inept than I thought, but this thread is on a similar topic.

A must read.

Kill Chain: The Rise of the High-Tech Assassins
    , by Andrew Cockburn (yes, I think it's his real name).

In particular read the chapter 6, "Kingpins and Maniacs". It starts out with the description of attempts to use individual targeted removal as a foreign policy from WWII to the Predator program. Replete with tales of sending people over to kill the BGs and getting the exact opposite outcome (for example killing the wrong three people in one raid):

“On the morning of September 11, 2001, the Counterterrorism Center was a collection of rejects and cast-offs (who'd failed to pass on intel on the hijackers). On the morning of September 12, it was the most powerful organization in the country. Before, they had had to scramble for pennies; now they could ask for billions of dollars and get it.”

Excerpt From: Andrew Cockburn. “Kill Chain: The Rise of the High-Tech Assassins.” iBooks.
    So, they screw up royally and get promoted and funded.

With the Predator program, the author concludes, that now we have the means to carefully kill all the wrong people for the wrong reasons and get horrible results to their stupidly inept heart's content. With no backlash.

Jon Stewart talked about this on a recent 'Daily Show' - we keep making the same stupid mistakes - funding rebels who then rise up and kill us with our weapons. After reading it my usual large vocabulary of 'screw up' words fails me in an attempt to describe just how ridiculous they are. They make the Keystone Cops look like the Rand Corporation from WWII to present and, I suspect, beyond.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 06-21-2015 at 02:19 PM.