• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Cases/Home Storage

Trakanon

In the past couple of months my gun collection has gone from a single 380 pistol that resided in my dresser drawer to about a dozen other pistols and revolvers. Some came in nice padded cases, others in cardboard boxes. I'm starting to run out of room to store these things in a neat and safe way. Anyone have any experience with the cases at caseclub.com? Something like that is right up my alley, but I have no experience with cases so I'm not 100% sure what's quality and what's garbage.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The cases there are of the type that ought to 1. provide decent protection from scratching and 2. provide the ability to customize to adapt to the various pistols (what, no revolvers?) in your arsenal. The smaller ones seem to meet all the requirement for transporting a handgun in checked luggage. The biggest problem I see is that they will all trap humidity - rust is not desirable.

OTOH none of those cases provide much security from those who would want in even though you do not give them permission to look and touch and play with. If you are not ready to get a Residential Security Cabinet (gun safe) Stack-On makes several alternatives that provide a bit more security.

Hope these thought help you.

stay safe.

darrylta

I'd suggest going with the biggest / best safe you can afford.
The value / integrity of the safe should be commensurate with the value of the stuff residing in it.
I've also seen that safes are incredible incubators. My guns seem to multiplying at an alarming rate :)
Darryl

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Trakanon - unless you have kids or a "prohibited person" in your home that could get access to those guns, worry more about rust in those "transport cases" and less about locking them up. Keep them in various locations (out of sight) where they are easily accessible.

Good answer. Save for the part about kids. I think that's a little bit too broad a statement. But yeah good hiding spots all around your property gives an obvious advantage in the event of intrusion.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Good answer. Save for the part about kids. I think that's a little bit too broad a statement. But yeah good hiding spots all around your property gives an obvious advantage in the event of intrusion.

I'm not saying that there is a handgun located in every room in my place, but if there were it certainly would not be inside some case.

An oldie training exercise: put away all the real guns just so nobody gets confused like the cops often do. Arm yourself with an pellet gun or a water pistol or even a banana. Put it in the storage/safe storage container of your choice. Do your normal at-home activities. Have your training partner burst through your (unlocked unless you really wanted to replace it) door armed with their pellet gun or water pistol or banana. See if you can get to your container, open it, and shoot to stop your training partner before they are on top of you.

Which is why if there were a gun in every room in my place I'd still also have my EDC handgun in its holster which is on my side.

And also why I train to draw and shoot from my recliner.:uhoh:

As for hiding guns around the house in the hopes that some burglar will miss one or more of them? Conversations I've had with cops who investigate such incidents reveals that if they find one gun they will literally tear the place apart looking for more guns. The recommendation is to lock them all up in one place/thing that is going to be difficult for the burglar to take away.

stay safe.