Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor Will Sign Open Carry & Campus Carry 6/13/15

Governor Will Sign Open Carry & Campus Carry 6/13/15

NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Right on! Next is unlicensed carry.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Finally, after all of these years! Not constitutional carry yet, but giant steps in the right direction. Take a bow Texans - you've earned it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Outstanding!!!

[insert beer icon here]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beerlike.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	12583 there ya go.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Outstanding!!!

[insert beer icon here]

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Finally, after all of these years! Not constitutional carry yet, but giant steps in the right direction. Take a bow Texans - you've earned it.
    Texans have a long way to go, but this is definitely a milestone in the journey. Cheers.
    Advocate freedom please

It is done!
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

It sure is!

Done: Texas Guv signs O.C. bill while antis push restrictions

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has signed open carry legislation today while visiting a gun range in Pflugerville, a sharp contrast to a bill introduced in Congress the other day seeks to require would-be handgun buyers to get permission from police before they go shopping.

http://www.examiner.com/article/done...h-restrictions

Celebrate your victories.

And continue the fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman
    Police can approach anyone open carrying to ask to see their handgun license.
    What the f*** dude? Are you trying to spread misinformation? Look, police can approach anyone to ask them anything. The undeniable intent of what you said, however, is to indicate that police are specifically empowered to require open carriers to present a "handgun license". That is absolutely not the case. Courts have made it abundantly clear that possession of a gun, by itself, is not justification to detain. So yes, your words are literally accurate, but in that narrow meaning they're also totally useless. If you meant it strictly, you might as well have said, "Police can wear clothes". If you meant it the way it's going to be read by any reasonable person, it's flat-out false.

After 40 years wandering in the desert, the Israelites stepped into Canaan, but there was much yet to be done. I would strongly encourage all open carriers to comport themselves with humility and dignity in the interim between the implementation of the law on 01/01/2016 and our next legislative session so we can begin to make real progress toward a constitutional carry system. We have taken upon ourselves the responsibility of carrying firearms, and we should ensure that the rest of the residents in Texas are aware of and as comfortable as possible with our presence. In cases like this, fear breeds only restriction.

Here is a view by someone claiming to be a Deputy:

https://www.facebook.com/texassherif...190336?fref=nf
    from Facebook, of course...so please adjust accordingly
    ----------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------
    Today I took a class specifically dealing with the new open carry. I'm going to tell you now, if you are a fan of open carry, quit reading.

I, personally am not a fan of the bill. That doesn't mean I am anti firearm. I do not believe we need people able to carry openly. Long gun or handgun. I however have 0 problems with concealed carry. The people who do this are normally a friendly person not looking for harm.

For those of you who are going to open carry let me update/review a few things.

1. We (LEO) can and probably will stop and talk to you about the gun your proudly displaying. This also includes disarming you.

2. You must carry your CHL card and Driver's License at all times. If you fail to do this, you are unlawfully carrying a firearm.

3. It must be in a holster. Shoulder or waist only. Ankle holsters do not count.

4. Be ready for a lot of people having issues with it. There is a new law that's exactly the same thing as 30.06 but now it's 30.07. And for the record, if you see these signs read them.

5. Know the CHL rules. There is probably going to be a lot of officers who do not know them, be ready to be patient with them. The more of a jerk you are, the longer you will be detained.

To me with all these rules it's just not worth it. To put it from my perspective, even though I carry with me at all times, I conceal. Having a gun in the open on you makes you a target. If someone wants to rob someone they will do it....gun or not. The gun means they will jump you from behind and get your weapon and god forbid use it against you. Be smart ladies and gentlemen. And be safe.
    Administration K
    ----------------------------------------------------------END QUOTE-----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Here is a view by someone claiming to be a Deputy:

https://www.facebook.com/texassherif...190336?fref=nf
    from Facebook, of course...so please adjust accordingly
    ----------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE---------------------------------
    Today I took a class specifically dealing with the new open carry. I'm going to tell you now, if you are a fan of open carry, quit reading.

--snipped--
    Haven't we heard it all of that before. [rhetorical]

I have no doubt there will be a few rough spots in the beginning, but expect things will level out relatively soon.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Deputy Dawg OCs every day he works. Maybe he should move to Vice.
    He doesn't say if he's ever worked in a state that has OC, a lot bigger world out there than just Texas (but their BBQ sucks...).
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

We heard the same here in Oklahoma. And it started before Open Carry took affect here. For the most part we had good coverage informing the public about the new law. But sadly there were some officers who did there best to persuade some businesses to deny open carry in their places of businesses. I have heard personally officers saying to a c-store manager " I can't believe you let him come in here with that". Fortunately some store owners and managers are holding firm and welcome our business. We have had no problem with blood in the streets or gun grabs like he suggest. I have often heard people say look at police people try to grab their guns. I would say yes they do. But they do it because they are trying to get away from police. I am not trying to detain or arrest people. I also tell them I am always watching ( situational awareness ). You might have some ID checks at first but they will get tired of it soon enough. I think I was ID checked about 6 - 8 times in the first 6 months. I just remained calm and showed my ID according to law. each interaction lasted less than 30 seconds. Lucky for us in Oklahoma they can not disarm you unless they suspect you of committing a crime. I have only had on really negative encounter with LEO. I called the open carry association in Oklahoma and he had the Under Sheriff call me and it was taken care of. I that was in July of 2013 and no issues since then. Yes there are going to be some LEO who don't know or think they can bully you. But most leave you alone. My advice is study the law learn it and as wrong as it is to have to have permission to carry follow the law. Be polite to everyone LEO included. We need to show the public that good and caring law abiding people have guns too. We are not around to hurt them We just want to make it home safe with or families.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggabby View Post
    We heard the same here in Oklahoma. And it started before Open Carry took affect here.
    --snipped--
    Yes there are going to be some LEO who don't know or think they can bully you. But most leave you alone. My advice is study the law learn it and as wrong as it is to have to have permission to carry follow the law. Be polite to everyone LEO included. We need to show the public that good and caring law abiding people have guns too. We are not around to hurt them We just want to make it home safe with or families.
    Old, trite but nevertheless true saying: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - may you all have a pleasant journey.

City dwellers have gone soft since 1879. As with so many things, the fear before the happening is worse than the thing itself. Yet, we are being told that this or that will be trouble, and some those predictions will become self-fulfilling. "People will harass you." "People will fear you." Well, yes, if you give them the idea that doing either of these is the proper and reasonable response, I suspect that people will be afraid and belligerent.
    Setting a good example doesn't work for many, many things, but it's the best thing we can do. Sadly, I doubt any of our well-funded "allies" will do any advertising to educate the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as case law is there to make stop and ID just because you're carrying nothing more than harassment, and as there is no valid basis for disarming, each instance that they do so will become the reasons for 2017 legislative changes similar to what they had to do related to illegal 30.06 signage.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    And as case law is there to make stop and ID just because you're carrying nothing more than harassment, and as there is no valid basis for disarming, each instance that they do so will become the reasons for 2017 legislative changes similar to what they had to do related to illegal 30.06 signage.
    Brown v. Texas 1979
    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/443/47.html

Problem is this new law specifically requires showing permit on demand by LEO. Court or legislature is going to have to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Brown v. Texas 1979
    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/443/47.html

Problem is this new law specifically requires showing permit on demand by LEO. Court or legislature is going to have to fix this.
    No, it does NOT.
    Advocate freedom please

So I see on the campus carry bill that presidents of public universities can't outright ban carry. But how far can they actually go? Can they ban it from all the buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    No, it does NOT.

Correct! I watched that entire debate myself and it was put into the record that the reason that there was no prohibition added to the law was because there was adequate case law to establish that the police do not have any right to demand DL and CHL/LTC simply because of OC. And they noted for the record that the legislative intent was that it wasn't necessary OR they would have included it. And that should have some impact on judges based on how TX law deals with the courts applying plain meaning and legislative intent.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Correct! I watched that entire debate myself and it was put into the record that the reason that there was no prohibition added to the law was because there was adequate case law to establish that the police do not have any right to demand DL and CHL/LTC simply because of OC. And they noted for the record that the legislative intent was that it wasn't necessary OR they would have included it. And that should have some impact on judges based on how TX law deals with the courts applying plain meaning and legislative intent.
    soooo///the lone star's nice LEs wouldn't ever violate something put on the legislative 'record' but for the record which didn't make it into statute...me thinks the FB deputy has a different perception and i have the feeling it is pervasive amongst the nice LEs in TX's communities.

unfortunately, there is only one, singular way to discern who is correct on this debate...ya'l have to wait till after the first of Jan...huh!!

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-10-2015 at 11:48 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    soooo///the lone star's nice LEs wouldn't ever violate something put on the legislative 'record' but for the record which didn't make it into statute...me thinks the FB deputy has a different perception and i have the feeling it is pervasive amongst the nice LEs in TX's communities.

unfortunately, there is only one, singular way to discern who is correct on this debate...ya'l have to wait till after the first of Jan...huh!!

ipse
    Well, for what it's worth, I didn't say anything about what LEOs would be taught or would believe come January, I just said that in the new OC laws that passed, there was no statutory requirement to ID on demand created. I don't know where Grapeshot got that from.

What LEOs will be taught, what they will know about, what they'll be told, what their policy will become, what their attitude will be, what their respect for rights and liberty will be, I make no predictions about these things...
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, I didn't say anything about what LEOs would be taught or would believe come January, I just said that in the new OC laws that passed, there was no statutory requirement to ID on demand created. I don't know where Grapeshot got that from.

What LEOs will be taught, what they will know about, what they'll be told, what their policy will become, what their attitude will be, what their respect for rights and liberty will be, I make no predictions about these things...
    Bad information on my part - not properly validated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast