• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sleeve Guns???

Wild Dog

Banned
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with sleeve guns, like in the movies Taxi Driver and Equilibrium. I'm just looking for an edge to keep myself one step ahead of the criminal scum.

solus

well, not to be the SArse i normally am, but as i begin to follow in skid's footsteps, as he is my HERO...

uh, is al gore's invention inoperative in your location of 'planet earth'? as my commodore pet located 12.9M in .038 seconds but one article on history and instructions on how to build one, w/youtube directions for the reading impaired, in, oh, let's see...milliseconds??

and while i know you didn't ask for further comment, there are several tactical concerns regarding using something so self constructed to use probably with the bad guy close or even at a distance, the first comes to mind is ability to adequately aim and maintain control over the firearm is really questionable IMHO.

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
well, not to be the SArse i normally am, but as i begin to follow in skid's footsteps, as he is my HERO...

ipse

I'm not sure if I'm honored or horrified. What sort of monster have I created?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wild Dog -

Besides the kewel factor why would you want to use one?

All I can see are drawbacks - extra weight on one arm, the restriction of use/movement of that arm, more than likely being restricted to a single shot, the possibility of being laughed into utter humiliation if you deploy it too soon.

And this comes from someone who used to be known for carrying a one-shot belly gun*. (Since I sold it at an obscene profit nobody knows if I carry a different belly gun or not.)

stay safe.

* - Google "Downsizer WSP" or "Downsizer world's smallest pistol" for pictures of it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wild Dog -

Maybe I have been a bit unfair. Maybe as a newbie you don't know that much about shooting sports.

Look up Single Action Shooting Sports (SASS). They are the folks that dress up and play cowboys and indians. Possible some of their gambler characters have fooled around with sleeve guns.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Wild Dog -

Maybe I have been a bit unfair. Maybe as a newbie you don't know that much about shooting sports.

Look up Single Action Shooting Sports (SASS). They are the folks that dress up and play cowboys and indians. Possible some of their gambler characters have fooled around with sleeve guns.

stay safe.

I belonged to SASS, I never saw sleeve guns. Guns are unloaded at events until staging, and chambers are always empty, even on the firing line. A shooter using a single shot or derringer would have to load it after the buzzer in each stage.

Wild Dog

Banned
So it's not a viable option for carry, then? I was just looking for a last ditch carry weapon in case some dirtbag got the drop on me. The last thing I want to do is go down baaing like a sheep, I want to bark like a sheepdog.

WalkingWolf

So it's not a viable option for carry, then? I was just looking for a last ditch carry weapon in case some dirtbag got the drop on me. The last thing I want to do is go down baaing like a sheep, I want to bark like a sheepdog.

I'm not saying it is not viable, it is just not practical for SASS. I see no reason that a small handgun, derringer, or small semi auto could not make a difference in a bind. There are other options, like neck holsters for small handguns like the NAA revolver. Also the belt buckle holster for the NAA.

ACF3A80.JPG

100_1655.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Neck-holster-courtesy-stellarrigs.com_.jpg

I carry a tuned folder in a neck holster, as does the wife.

Last edited:

Wild Dog

Banned
I'm not saying it is not viable, it is just not practical for SASS. I see no reason that a small handgun, derringer, or small semi auto could not make a difference in a bind. There are other options, like neck holsters for small handguns like the NAA revolver. Also the belt buckle holster for the NAA.

ACF3A80.JPG

100_1655.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Neck-holster-courtesy-stellarrigs.com_.jpg

I carry a tuned folder in a neck holster, as does the wife.

Those are some nice last, ditch carry guns. However, I am concerned with being in a situation where a terrorist or gangbanger has me at gunpoint and my hands are either up in the air or on top of my head. For something like that I keep thinking of the movie Desperado where Antonio Banderas pops twin semi-autos from his sleeves. Or maybe, what if I had a pistol taped to my back like John McClane in Die Hard, do you guys think that would be a viable tactic?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just remember that the belt buckle gun is by law a concealed weapon even when it's out there in plain sight.

Some folks have all sorts of conniptions about neck guns or guns stuffed down the pants on some sort of holster on a string; some folks don't. http://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/zacchaeus-concealment-holster/

There are all sorts of .380 and 9mm semis that can work as a deep cover BUG to your BUG.

If you are at bad breath distance a gun may not be your most viable choice.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Those are some nice last, ditch carry guns. However, I am concerned with being in a situation where a terrorist or gangbanger has me at gunpoint and my hands are either up in the air or on top of my head. For something like that I keep thinking of the movie Desperado where Antonio Banderas pops twin semi-autos from his sleeves. Or maybe, what if I had a pistol taped to my back like John McClane in Die Hard, do you guys think that would be a viable tactic?

As much as you won't like it, but whatever they want give it to them, if they have the drop on you if it is only property they want. Outside that your best bet is some training at disarming muggers from an instructor. And buy a cane, a good hickory one, best close range SD device I can recommend. Depending on your state you may be able to carry a expanding baton. NC CHP does not cover anything but a handgun, but we can carry almost anything open.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I hadn't heard that before, is that a VA-specific thing?

Concealed is generally defined as anything that cannot be readily discerned as being a firearm, as well as being completely out of sight.

I cannot find anything in the statutes http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gun-and-ccw-laws that actually defines CC. The Ohio AG's web sites about CC are wonky this morning - both the CC Manual and the Law Enforcement site www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov but you should try looking there yourself.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One might say that a [strike]bird[/strike] gun in the hand beats one in the [strike]bush[/strike] sleeve.

I don't necessarily recommend this, but it is funny. Could/maybe draw a brandishing charge - looks like a real gun to some observers.

Creative-Bag-Advertisements-crimebag.jpg

JustaShooter

Concealed is generally defined as anything that cannot be readily discerned as being a firearm, as well as being completely out of sight.

I cannot find anything in the statutes http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gun-and-ccw-laws that actually defines CC. The Ohio AG's web sites about CC are wonky this morning - both the CC Manual and the Law Enforcement site www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov but you should try looking there yourself.

stay safe.

I have reviewed the material you refer to, and am somewhat familiar with Ohio firearms law and although I hadn't reviewed it with the belt buckle gun in mind I cannot think of anything that really applies. Concealed isn't specifically defined in Ohio law, at least with respect to carrying weapons as far as I can see, and the AG CC manual and various pages are silent on the topic as well. I suppose if it were common for folks to either wear ornamental belt buckles with fake guns or buckles with real guns it would be easy to know one way or the other but I suspect this is one of those grey areas in Ohio law that will need to be settled by case law (if it hasn't already been).

Regardless, most open carriers in Ohio eventually relent and get a CHL so that they don't have to disarm, unload and store their sidearm before entering a motor vehicle so I don't know how much impact it would have either way under current Ohio law.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Regardless, most open carriers in Ohio eventually relent and get a CHL so that they don't have to disarm, unload and store their sidearm before entering a motor vehicle so I don't know how much impact it would have either way under current Ohio law.

So you are going to be one of those.

(Seriously, I understand the difficulties of being a permitless OCer in Ohio.)

stay safe.