• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

query re vehicle searches while LE looks for escapees

solus

thanks for the inputs, bottom like play nice with the grumpy LEs since they are lacking sleep and 3 squares. oh and keep recording and video'g rolling.

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This Just In From ABC News

I heard this just a little while ago on an ABC affiliate radio station.

ABC reported that a local resident of Friendship, NY said that local residents are being required to show ID. The man-hunt is focused in Friendship after someone reported seeing a couple men who could be the escapees.

Really? You have to show ID to prove you live there? To prove you're not one of the escapees? As though ever cop and federal agent in the hunt hasn't been shown photographs of the escapees. Suuuuuure.

solus

citizen, et al., IMHO the nice police are traipsing down a dangerous slope and setting a precedent I am not please with. I mean, sure the nice LE have a foto of the escapees and if you are young, black, Asian, Hispanic, a woman, four years older than water, who do not in anyway meet the foto's image, shouldn't have to show an id.

maybe, just maybe, I might concede the nice LE might have a slight RAS to ask someone for a foto id who could resemble one of the escapee's fotos.

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
citizen, et al., IMHO the nice police are traipsing down a dangerous slope and setting a precedent I am not please with. I mean, sure the nice LE have a foto of the escapees and if you are young, black, Asian, Hispanic, a woman, four years older than water, who do not in anyway meet the foto's image, shouldn't have to show an id.

maybe, just maybe, I might concede the nice LE might have a slight RAS to ask someone for a foto id who could resemble one of the escapee's fotos.

ipse

Washington DC police tried this stunt a few years ago. There was a particular neighborhood where crime was really bad. So, cops set up roadblocks. Demanded that people coming into the neighborhood show ID to prove they lived there. If I recall, they also had to state their business if they were not residents.

This lasted about a week. Civil rights activists raised a fuss. I think there was even a lawsuit threatened or started. The copses abandoned the effort.

A quick examination revealed the police were/would be detaining people without individualized, particularized suspicion, and would be denying some access to the streets of that neighborhood. All unilaterally, of course. Who knew your travel rights were subject to the whims of Chief Cathy Lanier?

Anyway. Yeah. Just demanding ID to prove you're not the guys for which the demander already saw the photograph. Smacks of citizens being subordinate to the state, servants of the state, rather than the other way around.