Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: gun registration transfer

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    gun registration transfer

    Hello I live in texas my dad lives in Alabama he brought me a 9mm and my 3 kids each a 410 shotgun and registered all in his name but he passed and the guns being ours how do I transfer them to my name

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by David luevanos View Post
    Hello I live in texas my dad lives in Alabama he brought me a 9mm and my 3 kids each a 410 shotgun and registered all in his name but he passed and the guns being ours how do I transfer them to my name
    There is no national or Texas state registration. No need to do anything but enjoy the guns.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by David luevanos View Post
    Hello I live in texas my dad lives in Alabama he brought me a 9mm and my 3 kids each a 410 shotgun and registered all in his name but he passed and the guns being ours how do I transfer them to my name
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    There is no national or Texas state registration. No need to do anything but enjoy the guns.
    Getting possession may be problematic - did your dad leave a will? Who is the executor? You will want to jump through the proper hoops as there are felonies to be avoided.

    See sections on LG and Handgun Possession re: 1) Will or intestate succession, 922 (a)(5)(A) giver, 922 (a)(3)(A), receiver
    Items #3 & #4
    http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federa...arms_laws.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-15-2015 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Getting possession may be problematic - did your dad leave a will? Who is the executor? You will want to jump through the proper hoops as there are felonies to be avoided.

    See sections on LG and Handgun Possession re: 1) Will or intestate succession, 922 (a)(5)(A) giver, 922 (a)(3)(A), receiver
    Items #3 & #4
    http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federa...arms_laws.html
    I think he has them in his possession, Grapeshot. He wrote his dad "brought" the guns to him and by "registered in his name" I think he is referring to his father being the one who purchased them as a gift.

    Given the entirety of the circumstances, including the states involved, I agree with nonameisgood to not think about it anymore and enjoy the guns.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I checked http://www.ago.state.al.us/File-Alabama-Weapon-Laws and could find nothing requiring registration of firearms in Alabama.

    David luevanos may be confusing the paperwork a gun purchaser has to fill out with the FFL as "registration". Lots of folks do.

    If, as it appears, the father made gifts of the firearms before he died there is nothing to worry about transferring them from the estate to David and his kids.

    The only hitch may be a Texas law/regulation about minors possessing firearms or carrying them without parental/adult supervision. It's worth making sure he and his kids do not inadvertently get into problems.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I think he has them in his possession, Grapeshot. He wrote his dad "brought" the guns to him and by "registered in his name" I think he is referring to his father being the one who purchased them as a gift.

    Given the entirety of the circumstances, including the states involved, I agree with nonameisgood to not think about it anymore and enjoy the guns.
    Ah so - I misread, my bad. Thought his dad bought the guns and passed away before the physical transfer was accomplished.

    Agree - nothing else needs to be done.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    by the way david, welcome to the forum and having enough faith to ask your question.

    and sorry for you loss but it sounds like the advice is freely flowing and hopefully you will remember, for the most part we are not attorneys but knowledgeable and if something sounds strange please check with your family attorney in your state to get the proper guidance on your situation.

    again, welcome and do stick around as i think you will discern the member's have a smidgen of knowledge about a wide breath of subjects.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I am very sorry for your loss.

    Just so you are aware, if your father, as an Alabama resident, gave the guns to you and your family, Texas residents, as a gift while he was still alive and did not transfer them to you via a Federal Firearms License holder (dealer), then Federal law was violated. There isn't much you can do about it now and it is extremely unlikely that the violation will ever be discovered by any authorities because there is no gun registration in Alabama or Texas. However, you might want to only mention the guns were received as an inheritance and not mention anything about your father bringing the guns to you while he was still alive. There are different Federal laws regarding gifts between residents of different states and inheritances. The former requires an FFL transfer, the latter (in most states) does not.
    im sorry commander, say what? do you have a cite, something from 5300.4 current edition would suffice...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by David luevanos View Post
    Hello I live in texas my dad lives in Alabama he brought me a 9mm and my 3 kids each a 410 shotgun and registered all in his name but he passed and the guns being ours how do I transfer them to my name
    commander, thanks for your cite, but i read the OP's post where the father's firearms were transported by the legal owner of the firearms from his home in Alabama to his son's residence in Texas. (so far from MHO there have been no federal laws as outlined in 5300.4, have been broken here right? and i wasn't aware 5300.4 prohibited the owner of firearms to legally move their own property? remember, methodology is not the issue here!)

    further, the father, while alive, brought ('gifted') his firearm(s) to his son and his grandchildren, his son's offspring. (again, so far i do not see from your 5300.4 cite where any type of federal violation has occurred nor where an FFL would be needed since buying a firearm ('gifting') is specifically discussed and allowed by atf guidance.)

    now where did you say an ffl would be needed since the firearms since, according to the OP, were taken to Texas by the legal owner of the firearm(s) and the legal owner 'gifted' them to his son & grandchildren?

    my only thought centers on the final portion of the OP's statement and i feel the OP is apparently confused by thinking the 4473 his father completed 'registers' the firearms in his late father's name?

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,059
    There is no way to unring that bell. The person who, in your reading, violated these laws is no longer available for prosecution. The receivers did not commit a crime. As I said, don't concern yourself with the matter and enjoy the guns.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    commander, where are the firearms at this very moment? let me help, TX according to the OP?

    how did they get to TX ~ transported by the legal owner according to the OP.

    they were a gift from the father to his son and grandchildren.

    whom are the ATF going to charge for your alleged violation of 922 criteria cited? rhetorical question!!

    what is a texas ffl going to do commander? let's see, bloke walks in off the street with a pistol and three shotguns and asks the grumpy ffl to fill out a 4473. really let me be a fly on the wall for that discussion.

    finally...explain the registration the OP is referring to as there is nothing in the federal statutes talking about any sort of firearm registration and a ffl completing a 4473 is not registration?

    come on mate, put some kinda critical thinking into this...it is a mute point.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  12. #12
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    There is no way to unring that bell. The person who, in your reading, violated these laws is no longer available for prosecution. The receivers did not commit a crime. As I said, don't concern yourself with the matter and enjoy the guns.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    noname, that was the rhetorical portion of my post...
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,198
    I have always found that some things are best not talked about.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  14. #14
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    commander, please do not follow another member's practice of changing the scenario to 'what ifs' just to fit your presenting case... it is a tacit not worthy of your breath of knowledge and experience base and IMHO cheapens your credibility.

    One ship drives east and other drives west by the same winds that blow. It's the set of the sails and not the gales that determines the way they go.
    (wilcox)


    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    commander, please do not follow another member's practice of changing the scenario to 'what ifs' just to fit your presenting case... it is a tacit not worthy of your breath of knowledge and experience base and IMHO cheapens your credibility. ipse
    LOL Solipsist said tacit breath. LOL
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    LOL Solipsist said tacit breath. LOL
    just a goode olde country boy here...glad you found what i left for you to find...ya did good now ya'l have a good day... ya here...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    just a goode olde country boy here...glad you found what i left for you to find...ya did good now ya'l have a good day... ya here...ipse
    Stylin' hisself as Diogenes - Barbara Streisand! I put your rock back like it was, OK?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-17-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •