Thread: Chest Holster Practicality

Chest Holster Practicality

I've been thinking through all the possibilities of where on the body is the most unobtrusive place to carry for every-day activity including driving, walking, and sitting. Hip carry is great for most things besides driving due to contour seats sometimes.

I like appendix carry for being easy to get to while driving, and I like shoulder holsters for being great for driving and are even less obtrusive for seat belts.

Then I realized that a chest holster combines the best of both car appendix carry and a shoulder holster.

The downside (a big one) is that it looks so goofy. But I like an unconventional approach to carry methods. I imagine that people start too small and too uncomfortable for maximum concealabity and work upwards until they're comfortable.

I'm trying to go as practical and comfortable as possible (however ostentatious!) and work the opposite direction.

http://clarkforkleather.com/?q=holsters/chestholster

I've been pocket-carrying my G19 for 4 years now and am one anxious Texan awaiting January 1.
    Last edited by Atomterrible; 06-15-2015 at 02:51 AM.

I use one for my big hunting revolvers or when wearing chest waders my back packing buddy wears his 10mm in one while wearing a pack.

They have their place and usefulness.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Atomterrible View Post
    Then I realized that a chest holster combines the best of both car appendix carry and a shoulder holster.
    I can see the argument in support of chest carry. The carry convenience described plus you are not sweeping everyone like you do in a shoulder/cross draw. Between holster positioning and blading towards the BG, there may be no sweeping. I'm sure someone would argue that there is still some degree of risk in a CQC situation with a BG to get stuffed and blocked on any cross draw, even this one, but this is only a partial cross draw as opposed to shoulder/crossdraw holster.

So yeah, I can see the attraction to the idea and the usefulness in many situations.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

With the front flap folded back it qualifies as OC

https://www.dillonprecision.com/cont...packer_Holster

Undo the clips to get it off your chest and run the back tab behind your belt and then tuck the front flap behind that - it's still OC.

With the front flap folded back it's not real secure, but you said you were looking for chest rigs, not looking for chest rigs with great retention.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I can see the argument in support of chest carry. The carry convenience described plus you are not sweeping everyone like you do in a shoulder/cross draw. Between holster positioning and blading towards the BG, there may be no sweeping. I'm sure someone would argue that there is still some degree of risk in a CQC situation with a BG to get stuffed and blocked on any cross draw, even this one, but this is only a partial cross draw as opposed to shoulder/crossdraw holster.

So yeah, I can see the attraction to the idea and the usefulness in many situations.
    At least in a BG situation, it's not under your arm but high on your front. That seems like easiest space for you to control during a grapple versus lower front for appendix or nearly behind you for a shoulder holster.

The mindset behind why most people use one anyway is:
    I'm going to be moving around a lot, putting straps on myself, and I don't care how this looks.

Once OCers stop caring about public perception, I like how people think practically. Seems like the perfect solution for OC for all purposes besides maybe hugging someone.
    Last edited by Atomterrible; 06-15-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Ultra Lite Tactical Chest Rig

Check out this as an option.

http://www.kt-mech.com/03Parts_ULTR.html

My wife has been using there "Ultra Lite Tactical Chest Rig" for quite some time now. As she is big and curvy, wearing any kind of hip holster just does not work for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Check out this as an option.

http://www.kt-mech.com/03Parts_ULTR.html

My wife has been using there "Ultra Lite Tactical Chest Rig" for quite some time now. As she is big and curvy, wearing any kind of hip holster just does not work for her.

I would prefer a little more vertical tilt in my chest holster then shown in the KT
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I don't use it for EDC but I have 2 holsters from Rob at Simply Rugged http://www.simplyrugged.com/
    Using his "Chesty Puller" straps will transform the sourdough pancake holsters into a chest rig, best place to carry for me when hauling a backpack.

Not the most beautiful holsters, but top quality Herman Oak leather, molded, and well made, and versatile (3 belt slots allow for strong side, crossdraw, or attaching the chest straps.)