• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in NC Banks

Vagrant

It's interesting that I did research for OC in banks before I began OCing and now after a year and a half of OC to a bank I've been going to for my job they said to my boss suddenly that I could not OC in their bank, so as I am very frustrated I called GPD, which was no help, then I went to the sherrifs office and the officer on duty who teaches CC Permits told me that I cannot open carry in banks, I would like some actual confirmation because this is getting tiresome and irritating.

drsysadmin

I work for a bank that operates on the coast.

There is NO law in NC prohibiting open or concealed carry in banks. The law is the same as it is for any other business - they must use a conspicuously posted sign OR management must ask you to leave if the site is not posted. I actually have gone over this with our physical security team since some staff wouldn't have an issue and others would freak out and hit the panic button (likely opening us up to a lawsuit for harassment).

Now - even without knowing what bank it is (it might be the one I work for after all), I would go in and close every account you have with them and tell them why. Or ask the branch manager who their boss is and contact them. They are often known as Regional Operations Officers and are responsible for many stores. Personally, I would comply (since by law you have to) but either stop doing business with them or talk to the right people and get written confirmation regarding whether carry is allowed or not. I can tell you, my organization would NOT allow a branch manager to determine his/her branch was "gun free". While the law does, if you go above them you can perhaps get the policy changed for that manager from "on high".

If you don't mind - would you share the name of the bank? If it is mine I can help by steering you to the appropriate people. :D

Vagrant

I work for a bank that operates on the coast.

There is NO law in NC prohibiting open or concealed carry in banks. The law is the same as it is for any other business - they must use a conspicuously posted sign OR management must ask you to leave if the site is not posted. I actually have gone over this with our physical security team since some staff wouldn't have an issue and others would freak out and hit the panic button (likely opening us up to a lawsuit for harassment).

Now - even without knowing what bank it is (it might be the one I work for after all), I would go in and close every account you have with them and tell them why. Or ask the branch manager who their boss is and contact them. They are often known as Regional Operations Officers and are responsible for many stores. Personally, I would comply (since by law you have to) but either stop doing business with them or talk to the right people and get written confirmation regarding whether carry is allowed or not. I can tell you, my organization would NOT allow a branch manager to determine his/her branch was "gun free". While the law does, if you go above them you can perhaps get the policy changed for that manager from "on high".

If you don't mind - would you share the name of the bank? If it is mine I can help by steering you to the appropriate people. :D
Wells Fargo, and ironically I have closed my bank accounts out with them, back when they were Wachovia, because they charged me 125 dollars for a 30 dollar charge, years ago.

The thing is this isn't about me so much as I'm doing banking for my job, which is through wells fargo, otherwise I'd never step foot in that bank.

nobama

It's interesting that I did research for OC in banks before I began OCing and now after a year and a half of OC to a bank I've been going to for my job they said to my boss suddenly that I could not OC in their bank, so as I am very frustrated I called GPD, which was no help, then I went to the sherrifs office and the officer on duty who teaches CC Permits told me that I cannot open carry in banks, I would like some actual confirmation because this is getting tiresome and irritating.

The sheriff was wrong. If its not posted, good to go unless asked to leave.

solus

vargrant, et al., before dec 2011, financial institutes were specifically called out in NC Statutes as being out of bounds for firearms. apparently the financial institutions were caught flat footed when this provision was dropped by the legislation which went into effect 1 dec 2011.

statewide financial institutions have slowly been posting their no gun signs and now comply with current CC statutes. that stated, depending on how the sign is worded, e.g., no firearms verses no CC, OC'g is permissible if it is posted by the latter wording.

w/o saying anything to businesses, because of like minded folk like me, the Dixon chain of McD in the area have changed their signs from no CC to flat no weapons. even my own CU put huge signs up stating no CC nor OC of firearms are allowed in their facilities. so i go thru the CU's drive thru as i have a unique account i do not wish to go through the goat rope to close and go to another CU. even state employees, has posted signs in our area flatly stating no OC unless in uniform in the teller area but upstairs is ok??

please quit asking the nice LEs about firearms as your deputy is incorrect and isn't keeping up with the current CHP material since it doesn't mention financial institutions anywhere in the material ~ advise them they should get a current CHP manual from NC DOJ.

hope that helped

ipse

Vagrant

vargrant, et al., before dec 2011, financial institutes were specifically called out in NC Statutes as being out of bounds for firearms. apparently the financial institutions were caught flat footed when this provision was dropped by the legislation which went into effect 1 dec 2011.

statewide financial institutions have slowly been posting their no gun signs and now comply with current CC statutes. that stated, depending on how the sign is worded, e.g., no firearms verses no CC, OC'g is permissible if it is posted by the latter wording.

w/o saying anything to businesses, because of like minded folk like me, the Dixon chain of McD in the area have changed their signs from no CC to flat no weapons. even my own CU put huge signs up stating no CC nor OC of firearms are allowed in their facilities. so i go thru the CU's drive thru as i have a unique account i do not wish to go through the goat rope to close and go to another CU. even state employees, has posted signs in our area flatly stating no OC unless in uniform in the teller area but upstairs is ok??

please quit asking the nice LEs about firearms as your deputy is incorrect and isn't keeping up with the current CHP material since it doesn't mention financial institutions anywhere in the material ~ advise them they should get a current CHP manual from NC DOJ.

hope that helped

ipse

Thanks all for your statements and information, the branch manager called me later on in the day and effectively told me he was not allowed to tell me in anyway that I could not carry in his bank, he told me the literal situation was customer related ie: like China Buffet, someone felt unbearably threatened by me openly carrying a firearm.

He did though try to reword his statements to say that he was going to have to address the situation to other security teams in the area, which obviously meant nothing to me.

The basic gist is there are no signs barring entrance while open carry, so I shall continue to do what my job requires of me.

PS- I was kinda upset that the LEO was so certain of statues, when I told him clearly I thought they changed in 2011, all he said was "I should know as I teach CC classes, and CC permit holders I tell them they are not allowed in banks".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...PS- I was kinda upset that the LEO was so certain of statues, when I told him clearly I thought they changed in 2011, all he said was "I should know as I teach CC classes, and CC permit holders I tell them they are not allowed in banks".

Seems like you encountered an Opinion Enforcement Officer (look and dress like LEOs, but are loud and forceful so as to make you cower to their perceived superiority).:(
Put simply: he admitted to you that he teaches the law not as it IS, but as he WISHES it to be.

http://www.criminalattorney.com/news/police-can-lie-to-you/

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Wells Fargo

As posted in other threads of this sub-forum, the official stance of the corporation is to follow the laws of the state. In NC, that means that both OC and CC are permitted in all Wells Fargo facilities. If you wish to confirm this, do not call customer service; instead, call the security office at the headquarters in Charlotte. The individuals there may not like it personally, but they acknowledge the corporate position and enforce it.

solus

sad part, RYM, the nice deputy is not teaching the law!!

hasn't been the law since before dec 11!

and isn't in any of the CHP material!!

tho i like your OEO term or calihand's: legend in his own mind.

ipse

Vagrant

Well after stating that the same branch manager came back to me while I was at work and had this wonderful cast of statements when it came to me and my firearm, he tried to indulge me and say that it is my right to do so but at the same time he needed to do "something" to equate to his other tellers, who now after a year and a half feel uncomfortable with me open carrying.

To which I simply said this feels like segregation, your basically trying to tell me that my firearm defines me as a person, and that because of that your tellers are uncomfortable and don't want me in there, so I said plainly that as it obviously is such an issue to where you would have a customer complaint cause you to encroach on another customer then obviously I won't be going to this bank location, there goes the convenience of my deposit, but no thanks if it's that easy for a black guy to try to segregate me for OC then I'm good, I don't need anything from that bank location.

He followed the literal statement when I said this sounds like segregation, with "it's the way of the world" and I think that's what bothers me more than anything.

XD40sc

When you ask a cop about a law, you will here his view, or how he feels the law should work, which too often has nothing to do with the actual law.

At least some of the anonymous people on the internet will cite actual statutes on state websites.

moonie

Didn't we have a Wells Fargo VP explain that they follow the law of the land? I remember because I also agreed with him, granted I do UNIX computer security for Wells Fargo, not store security.

Things have not changed as far as I know, Wells Fargo follows the law of the land.

solus

When you ask a cop about a law, you will here his view, or how he feels the law should work, which too often has nothing to do with the actual law.

At least some of the anonymous people on the internet will cite actual statutes on state websites.

XD, did i fail to provide you a cite you felt you needed from my last post?

if so please forgive the oversight!! unfortunately the NC DOJ CHP instructor manual or other course materials are not on nor readily available in pdf on the public domain. however, i will be more than pleased to ask my friend to borrow his current manual as well as see if he still has his outdated manuals to copy the relevant pages on the subject to satisfy your statement.

please advise of your intent.

ipse