Thread: Illegal no gun sign in Seattle

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar

Illegal no gun sign in Seattle

So i'm walking by Rizel park and stop to check a park sign. Sure enough it said no firearms. I don't have a picture as of yet but this will show y'all where it is.

Seeing as how liberal Seattle is and the fact they tried to get carry banned in parks, I sense a battle here. I'm going to call the city and alert them to the infraction and see whether they fall into line and obey. If not how does some civil disobedience sound?

I'm actually quite pleased. At last a chance to really stand up for what I believe in
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Frequently in situations like this, a simple phone call or visit to the city attorney is enough when proper reference is made to the laws (include cites) and request corrective action..

Civil disobediance is seldom the best response - in fact encouraging that is a violation of forum rules. Such activities tend to polarize people too.

See rule #15 "Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts."

If you find a stubborn anti city attorneyor city council, a Writ of Mandamus should take care of the problem.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Open carrying there wouldn't be an act of civil disobedience because the sign was repealed by state law. Sadly, as long as you are of age, aren't a felon or otherwise prohibited, you can't "disobey" here.

I'm actually quite pleased. At last a chance to really stand up for what I believe in

Why not try to solve the issue at the lowest level, with minimal drama? Find the office that's responsible for maintaining that specific park. Talk to whoever there has authority to remove or change the sign. If they won't turn-to, then go to the person they report to, and so on, until it's fixed.

At every turn, try not to have credit for fixing the sign associated with you. After all, you're doing this for the movement and for the cause of freedom, and not to ingratiate yourself, right?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Open carrying there wouldn't be an act of civil disobedience because the sign was repealed by state law. Sadly, as long as you are of age, aren't a felon or otherwise prohibited, you can't "disobey" here.
    Point well made
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Point well made
    exactly. It is no law, therefore no forum rule was broken. I've googled the number but i'm quite busy and it's hard to find time during business hours to call

deanf I agree with you but at the same time I've been almost all talk and no action on this forum. I'm eager to actually do something and contribute more than empty words. Otherwise i'm little more than an AR 15 with no ammo. Useless.

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Update.

Due to lack of time I ended up sending Seattle Parks a tweet last night. They responded about 10:40 this morning

https://twitter.com/SeattleParks/sta...30047501844480

Must have been missed when the signs were removed in 2010. We'll have it taken down. Thanks for the note!
    We'll see if they follow through. I'll be sure to check

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Update.

Due to lack of time I ended up sending Seattle Parks a tweet last night. They responded about 10:40 this morning

https://twitter.com/SeattleParks/sta...30047501844480

We'll see if they follow through. I'll be sure to check
    Thank you for your work on this!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Thank you for your work on this!
    any time. Seeing as I can't carry due to being at a mission, I've got to find other ways of fighting for the cause. I will say i'm going to give them a week and then go back and check to see if the sign has been removed or changed. I'm taking nobodys word for it

So i'm walking by Rizel park and stop to check a park sign. Sure enough it said no firearms. I don't have a picture as of yet but this will show y'all where it is.

Seeing as how liberal Seattle is and the fact they tried to get carry banned in parks, I sense a battle here. I'm going to call the city and alert them to the infraction and see whether they fall into line and obey. If not how does some civil disobedience sound?

You know that trying to enforce your Rights, will cause us all to lose our Rights. Right? You get that, right?

You battle, they win.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    You know that trying to enforce your Rights, will cause us all to lose our Rights. Right? You get that, right?

You battle, they win.
    ummm nope :P

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    According to the p4p industry that's exactly it......lol.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

ummm nope :P
    Citizenship is a verb. You sir, are a verb!
    (Thanks MSG!)
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

well how long should I give it before I take a hike to the city and personally remind them? I took a hike (in nearly 90 degree weather) and what do you know, the sign was still there and unedited and still in violation

well how long should I give it before I take a hike to the city and personally remind them? I took a hike (in nearly 90 degree weather) and what do you know, the sign was still there and unedited and still in violation
    It took a year and a half to get the City of Spokane to change their unlawful laws. They count on you giving up and not following through.
    Last edited by Jeff Hayes; 06-28-2015 at 01:22 AM.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

well the person who tweeted you back isn't going to remove it, it probly has to be put on a work schedule, at low priority.

i'd give it another couple of weeks (30 days total) and then contact every 30 days until it's done.
    US Constitution - void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Citizenship is a verb. You sir, are a verb!
    (Thanks MSG!)
    It is good to see this taken to heart.

I think an interim fix would be that most versatile, the most sought after in an emergency, MacGyvers own.............Duct Tape.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    It took a year and a half to get the City of Spokane to change their unlawful laws. They count on you giving up and not following through.
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_dave View Post
    well the person who tweeted you back isn't going to remove it, it probly has to be put on a work schedule, at low priority.

i'd give it another couple of weeks (30 days total) and then contact every 30 days until it's done.
    You've far more patience than I have. The police would give no-one 30 days to comply with the law. They'd act and decisively