Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Cooley's AR-15 Airport OC Leads to Fed Bill to Ban BOTH OC and CC at Airports

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787

    Cooley's AR-15 Airport OC Leads to Fed Bill to Ban BOTH OC and CC at Airports

    What did I say last year about how carrying throughout the normal course of your day is fine, but in-your-face antics will most certainly backfire?

    "As a direct result of Cooley’s stunt, Georgia Democrat Hank Johnson has now proposed a federal law to ban both open and concealed carry in airports."

    Please grow a brain and be sensible before you ruin any more hard-won advances for the rest of us.

    And if you see someone just being stupid, tell 'em! Say, "Hey! Dumb***! Knock it off!"

    I'm serious, folks. If we refuse to police our own, the antis will be glad to dive in and police all of us "just because."

    Carry on, but please be smart about it.

    Thanks.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    Yes, and I am sure that in-your-face exercises of the First Amendment are to be discreetly avoided also.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    The bill was proposed by Hank Johnson... do you have any idea who Hank Johnson is and how well respected he is in Congress? No?



    He's afraid that if there are too many people on Guam.... that the island will tip over and capsize.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 06-19-2015 at 08:57 AM.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    The problem is that even though it is Hank Johnson (yes, that Hank Johnson) there are enough anti-gun folks in Congress that this could grow some legs - mostly because folks are going to fight it as a RKBA/2A issue instead of fighting it as a civil rights issue. The recent church shooting in SC, depending on timing, can act like gasoline thrown on the fire.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    497
    yes the Charleston church thing is definitely bad timing, although I have to say.. if any of them where armed, some of them, or all of them might have survived.. but you know, pray at a victim zone..

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    460
    Yes those "in your face" antics are the reason why we get stricter gun control laws...keep exercising those rights and it will be taken...

    It didn't work in Texas, it didn't work for the LGBT community and it will not work here!

  7. #7
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    When exercising a right causes that right to be taken away the statists have won.

    Pretty stupid to OC a long gun at an airport, however. Would have been much more effective to have a properly holstered pistol.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    When exercising a right causes that right to be taken away the statists have won.

    Pretty stupid to OC a long gun at an airport, however. Would have been much more effective to have a properly holstered pistol.
    Such also would have been in conformity with the Forum Rules.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Just because you can doesn't always mean you should...
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Just because you can doesn't always mean you should...
    Yep. It's called discretion and micro-aggression.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Yes those "in your face" antics are the reason why we get stricter gun control laws...keep exercising those rights and it will be taken...

    It didn't work in Texas, it didn't work for the LGBT community and it will not work here!
    That line might work if GA did not already have OC (like was until recently the case in Texas).

    "In your face" tactics are good for making a point. However, this guy was not making a point - he has admitted he was doing so to "protect" his family. If he thought there might be trouble a handgun would be easier to maneuver around an airport with. If he suspected there might be trouble going to the airport might not have been a good idea in the first place. If he anticipated trouble he should have either brought all his guns and all his friends with all their guns, or just stayed away.

    If you want to make the point that OCing is legal to a bunch of folks who might not be aware of that, why not wear a sign saying OC is legal and cite the law?

    16-11-130.2. Airports
    (a) No person shall enter the restricted access area of a commercial service airport, in or beyond the airport security screening checkpoint, knowingly possessing or knowingly having under his or her control a weapon or long gun. Such area shall not include an airport drive, general parking area, walkway, or shops and areas of the terminal that are outside the screening checkpoint and that are normally open to unscreened passengers or visitors to the airport. Any restricted access area shall be clearly indicated by prominent signs indicating
    that weapons are prohibited in such area.
    (b) A person who is not a license holder and who violates this Code section shall be guilty of a
    misdemeanor. A license holder who violates this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; provided, however, that a license holder who is notified at the screening checkpoint for the restricted access area that he or she is in possession of a weapon or long gun and who immediately leaves the restricted access area following such notification and completion of federally required transportation security screening procedures shall not be guilty of violating this Code section.
    The whole thing can fit on a 28" x 22" posterboard that can be pinned to the back of your shirt/jacket. Delete Section (b) and you can make the letters bigger. Sort of like a gay pride parade without the a$$less chaps over only a bit of buttfloss.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    460
    Do the anti-gunners really need a reason? From my observation, they will use any and all logical fallacies at their disposal to get their way.
    For the children; it scares other folk; common sense; you don't need a gun in such and such place; you are an idiot; you are black; you are a Jew; you are an inbred, single-toothed, ugly, smelly hick; etc...

    And if they can find a way to point a finger at a citizen who chooses to exercise their right in an "in your face" manner and turn other citizens against them, the better. Have everyone call each other names and make them believe they need to "police" each other. This thread makes a great example.

    Polarize the opposition and you will cleave them and have fight them amongst each other. Easier to pick them off when divided.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Never blame the restrictions of rights on an individual exercising them in a manner you dislike.

    Always blame the infringes.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    If you want to do in-your-face for the sake of in-your-face be prepared for the long road it may take you to get back to where you were when you started.

    I've done in-your-face when it was starting from ground zero. There was really nothing to lose and any gain was just that - a gain.

    I've seen folks do in-your-face when there was as much or more to lose as to gain. Nature and society do not favor increases.

    I understand that you say it is a right that "shall not be infringed". Sadly, the truth is that the right has already been infringed. I wish it were not so, but it is. I honestly cannot think of any right in the BoR that has not been infringed and the odds of getting back to the starting point are so small as to be meaningless.

    If you can explain to me how a long gun is better than a handgun for carrying around in case you need a firearm for defense of self/family/innocent others (not specific scenarios but just "just in case") I'll rethink my position and give strong consideration to supporting your viewpoint.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    "In your face" tactics are good for making a point. However, this guy was not making a point - he has admitted he was doing so to "protect" his family.

    If he thought there might be trouble a handgun would be easier to maneuver around an airport with. If he suspected there might be trouble going to the airport might not have been a good idea in the first place.
    What one says for consumption by the press is not always what one is truly doing. Honestly, I don't blame him, "I'm just down here picking up family" reads better than "I'm participating in unpopular but protected political speech to make a point about how firearms are perceived when carried by the general public versus how they are viewed when carried by those who we allow to be our lords."


    I don't know about you but I carry a pistol because I don't anticipate trouble. If I did anticipate trouble, I'd follow the example of the military and the police and carry a long gun, a rifle or shotgun. Airports aren't any harder to maneuver around in than any other wide open area and a darn sight easier to maneuver in than a narrow office building hallway or average home. One might note that one of the nice officers the gentleman met was packing a long gun.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    So he's really doing in-your-face activism but will not say so?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Never blame the restrictions of rights on an individual exercising them in a manner you dislike.

    Always blame the infringers.

    This^^^

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,059
    I don't think any of us want to turn this country into a place where we need to carry rifles around while dong our daily routines. I say let's not "fake it til we make it".
    Sometimes it is best to **** and not make everything a struggle. I have been concerned that OCT long gun events would result in new laws where none currently exist. Texas has zero regulation of long gun carry, but it would take very little to change that into something like "only when in transit to or actively involved in a hunting or sporting activity."


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran ATM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    365
    There are several opportunistic politicians and know-nothing stooges with boilerplate proposals ready in hand to further infringe upon the RKBA at a moment's notice - it's their M.O.

    Providing them excuses to introduce infringements again and again should not be equated with giving them reasons. They aren't waiting around for reasons, the fact that we still have any portions of our rights left intact is reason enough for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    ...If you can explain to me how a long gun is better than a handgun for carrying around in case you need a firearm for defense of self/family/innocent others (not specific scenarios but just "just in case") I'll rethink my position and give strong consideration to supporting your viewpoint.

    stay safe.
    From a purely utilitarian point of view, it may well be considered "better" by many to just pay the fee and jump through whatever hoops are required to obtain permission via license to lawfully carry a handgun than to carry any other type firearm for which state permission is not required.

    When one takes a principled look at the situation, however, one may not conclude that it is "better" at all. In fact, they may determine that contesting the mere practicality of this man's choice misses what might be considered the primary point completely.

    stay principled.
    Last edited by ATM; 06-20-2015 at 02:07 PM.

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Drama and fancy foot work is seldom needed/desired to accomplish these goals AND perception is a big part of public's reaction.

    Not saying what he did was wrong - just don't see any positive benefit and it provides talking points for the antis.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran ATM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Drama and fancy foot work is seldom needed/desired to accomplish these goals AND perception is a big part of public's reaction.

    Not saying what he did was wrong - just don't see any positive benefit and it provides talking points for the antis.
    It provides talking points for pro RKBA folks, too.

    For instance, most states obviously prefer that their residents carry long guns. Their next preference would be open carry of handguns. What they seem to prefer least is concealed handgun carry. Restrictions are typically used to steer choices toward the unrestricted.

    This guy carried in the preferred GA manner.

  22. #22
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Yes those "in your face" antics are the reason why we get stricter gun control laws...keep exercising those rights and it will be taken...

    It didn't work in Texas, it didn't work for the LGBT community and it will not work here!
    +1

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Do the anti-gunners really need a reason? From my observation, they will use any and all logical fallacies at their disposal to get their way.
    Exactly. So why give them additional ammo by failing (or refusing) to use sound judgement, good reasoning, and exercising discretion?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  24. #24
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Long gun OCers are bad. Mmmkay?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  25. #25
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    I don't Open Carry my rifle unless I'm at the range.
    I don't believe in participating in OC "marches" or "demonstrations".
    That said, if someone wants to walk around with a rifle on then more power to him.
    I will not be a Sunshine Patriot and make statements such as "He shouldn't be so In Your Face". This is divisive and I feel is not productive in the fight for our rights. If the OCer is not breaking any laws I will support his right to carry whatever the heck he wants.
    I see it no different than the guy I see walking around town dragging a large wooden cross and standing on the street corners holding up a bible and shouting gospel verses at motorists as they drive past. Not my thing but I will defend his right to do whatever he wants within the scope of the law.
    I don't know Rep Hank Johnson. I do know what he is. He is an enemy to freedom. He has come out against the right of a free citizen, a member of this nations unorganized militia, to bear arms.
    No, we are not at war. No, wearing a rifle is not always the most convenient thing to do. There are issues with muzzle awareness and control over the trigger. Still, If he is not brandishing the rifle in an threatening manner I stand by his right to bear his chosen Modern Musket.
    If any member of the public has a problem with seeing a citizen of this country peaceably exercising his right to bear arms I will recommend that this nervous hoplaphobe seek mental therapy to deal with their issues.
    Either we hang together or we will hang separately.
    Cooley with his AR-15 is not the bad guy. Those who turn their backs on their responsibility to defend the Constitution are the bad guys..
    Against All Enemies....
    Last edited by sraacke; 06-20-2015 at 09:31 PM.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •