Thread: Congratulations Puerto Rico !!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Congratulations Puerto Rico !!!

BELLEVUE, WA – "A surprising victory for gun rights in Puerto Rico has eliminated the firearms registry and licensing requirements to purchase and carry in the Commonwealth, the Second Amendment Foundation has confirmed.

The class-action lawsuit challenged various articles in Puerto Rico’s gun law, which the court declared unconstitutional. Because of the ruling, Barreras said, Puerto Ricans may now carry openly or concealed without a permit, and they do not need to obtain a permit before purchasing a firearm."

http://www.saf.org/?p=6431
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    BELLEVUE, WA – "A surprising victory for gun rights in Puerto Rico has eliminated the firearms registry and licensing requirements to purchase and carry in the Commonwealth, the Second Amendment Foundation has confirmed.

The class-action lawsuit challenged various articles in Puerto Rico’s gun law, which the court declared unconstitutional. Because of the ruling, Barreras said, Puerto Ricans may now carry openly or concealed without a permit, and they do not need to obtain a permit before purchasing a firearm."

Awesome!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    This is quite awesome. I have a good friend from Puerto Rico who told me how distressing the Gun restrictions are. Wonderful!
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Wowwie!!!

Well.. I will join in with a +1111.00

but I wonder if this only applies to the,,, them?

I would hope this ruling somewhow,,, can be applied to the others of the "US!",,,
    here in the "States"?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

I would hope this ruling somewhow,,, can be applied to the others of the "US!",,,
    here in the "States"?
    Wonderful news, isn't it?

PR is a "Commonwealth" that is more of a territory/colony than a state. They have their "colonial" law which is then subject to federal law. While citizens of the US since 1917 they cannot vote for President, and their "elected" representative to the House of Representatives cannot vote there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...in_Puerto_Rico

The big question is, of course, if the Commonwealth will appeal the decision. While I hope not, there is every reason to expect them to. Why Puerto Rico is in the First Circuit (as well as why The US Virgin Islands are in the Third) has always been a mystery to me. But with MA, RI, CT, NH, and ME making up the Circuit it does not bode well for any appeal.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

here in the "States"?
    Will be watching as to how this will be applied to those states within the 1st Circuit.

The First Circuit includes the Districts of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico and Rhode Island.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Will be watching as to how this will be applied to those states within the 1st Circuit.

The First Circuit includes the Districts of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico and Rhode Island.
    Did you fail to read the article you cited?

Gottlieb said the lawsuit was brought in a Puerto Rican Commonwealth court, rather than a federal court. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and thus is subject to federal court jurisdiction.
    Unless appealed by PR the 1st Circuit will never get its hands on the case.

Sheesh!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Did you fail to read the article you cited?
    Read it, got side tracked, and done did it wrong when I came back to it.

You can get sidetracked on a single rail line.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You can get sidetracked on a single rail line.

stay safe.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wow! That's great news!

Consitutional Carry

Congratulations P.R. Well Done!

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    The timing on this is interesting considering they are in masses of debt and barely made a payment and likely won't net time. I'm surprised PR didnt double the costs. But well done PR. Took you awhile but you finally learned you have no right to restrict the bearing of arms. Now go teach D.C and California!
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

I have been under the impression that this particular litigation is not over . . . too early to celebrate in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by OC4me; 12-10-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Yeah, what changed in the last six months for the celebration to start?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Great news.

Now, if you haven't already, pack up and take a trip there!

Puerto Rico is beautiful! And because it is a territory you don't need a visa, passport, or even to exchange currency. Plus the folks are super friendly and in most areas speak fluent English.

I've been there a couple times and intend on going again. It's an awesome place for a vacation and now with this news there is no excuse for everyone else to visit too!

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    Puerto Rico is beautiful! And because it is a territory you don't need a visa, passport, or even to exchange currency.
    Yet somehow I get the nagging suspicion that someone down there is more than willing to convince some unsuspecting soul that they need to change their American dollars into Puerto Rican dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Yet somehow I get the nagging suspicion that someone down there is more than willing to convince some unsuspecting soul that they need to change their American dollars into Puerto Rican dollars.
    I've never heard of that happening. Probably does, but not very often.