• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TOC launches new website

solus

1/2 life, why play outside the forum's infrastructure...

'06 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?39058-New-URL-for-the-TCDL-Forum

where this TCDL lasted but a short while then it was changed to Lonestar CDL in '10.

everyone site pushing OC...

opps disention in the ranks feb 07 quote: If you are a member of Texas Citizens Defense League I suggest that you join Texas State Rifle Association as they are willing to adjust their legislative priorities to represent the interest of their members. unquote http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-now-open-to-input-from-members-on-open-carry

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen, please sirs. You may not like the style and/or methods of an organization and even have a personality clash with each other. One's idea of what is effective may be better (or not) than another's.

BUT, the point needs to be made that they (TOC) are supporting OC and according to the rules that at least puts them in the good guys column. Let's not eat our own - work to make things better.

If I were working to form a new group, I think that I would give a good listen to what some of the potential members thought, but in no way do I intend to interfere with Texan's forming such a group for themselves.

Last edited:

Glockster

Gentlemen, please sirs. You may not like the style and/or methods of an organization and even have a personality clash with each other. One's idea of what is effective may be better (or not) than another's.

BUT, the point needs to be made that they (TOC) are supporting OC and according to the rules that at least puts them in the good guys column. Let's not eat our own - work to make things better.

If I were working to form a new group, I think that I would give a good listen to what some of the potential members thought, but in no way do I intend to interfere with Texan's forming such a group for themselves.

Hear, hear and thanks Grapeshot for your reminder as this thread has felt like a downward spiral.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Anyways, Open Carry was going to pass the Texas Legislature this year because Governor Greg Abbott made it a point in his election campaign to promise he would sign it into law. He basically told the Legislature "I want a bill on my desk". In fact, even Wendy Davis, the Democrat running against Abbott, promised the exact same thing if she were elected! It was never the AK-47s and the rifles being OC'd in Texas that won the Open Carry of handguns. It was common sense legislators finally doing their job. Legislators weren't scared into making OC the law just because some Texans took to the streets with long arms over their shoulders.

In fact, the real champions here in getting this completed are former State Legislator George Lavender, who initially proposed HB 700 in the previous session. Governor Perry didn't make Open Carry a priority, and never really backed it strongly as it needed. Then along came Gov. Abbott, and the tide turned. Lavender and Abbott are the one's who deserve the praise for getting Open Carry signed into law.

You're welcome, but I disagree wholeheartedly with your center two paragraphs. Perhaps you didn't mean to say that the activism and grassroots organizations are completely devoid of credit, but whether completely or just mostly I still disagree. Additionally, the statement that legislators weren't scared mischaracterises the activists and their intentions very badly.

Perhaps Perry didn't make it a priority because there was no significant body of Texans telling him that it was a priority to them. I somehow really, really doubt that open carry would have been passed if we maintained the same level of grassroots support and activism, or lack thereof, from the Lavender days.

TOC

You're welcome, but I disagree wholeheartedly with your center two paragraphs. Perhaps you didn't mean to say that the activism and grassroots organizations are completely devoid of credit, but whether completely or just mostly I still disagree. Additionally, the statement that legislators weren't scared mischaracterises the activists and their intentions very badly.

Perhaps Perry didn't make it a priority because there was no significant body of Texans telling him that it was a priority to them. I somehow really, really doubt that open carry would have been passed if we maintained the same level of grassroots support and activism, or lack thereof, from the Lavender days.

Point taken, thank you Stealthy... you may very well be right. Didn't mean to disparage the OC'ers. Just meant that OC law would have been signed by Abbott even without that activity. Just our opinion though - yours are valid points, thank you.

solus

Point taken, thank you Stealthy... you may very well be right. Didn't mean to disparage the OC'ers. Just meant that OC law would have been signed by Abbott even without that activity. Just our opinion though - yours are valid points, thank you.

stealth, while you may very well be right but just our opinion this group just unequivocally stated, the nice Texas governor would have signed the OC law which ended up attached to the privilege card w/o any grassroot involvement or activity needed and then in case you missed it stealth, TOC just summarily condescendingly dismissed your input...:eek:

from this mentality, can you imagine if the grassroots had gotten involved... Texans might have OC w/o any provisional attachments.

stealth, grape, glockster, et al., ya'l are right, we shouldn't dissuade this Texas startup OC group as it is apparently going to be an tremendously good fit in exemplifying MOC's principles for the lonestar state.:uhoh:

ya'l get what you ask for...enjoy!!

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
Congrats and best of luck to Texas

TOC,

Congrats on Texas' up-coming OC law.

And best of luck moving forward to remove licensing requirements on both OC and CC, and otherwise advancing social acceptance of and legal respect for our rights to an effective self-defense and of RKBA.

Charles