• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uber bans open/conceal carry; criminals can now confidently carjack Uber marked cars

Alpine

It might be nice to be in a situation where planning or relying on community is possible. Many of us live and work in places where such is simply not possible. Other times emergencies arise. The beauty of Uber is that it makes transportation simple and relatively safe. I know people who used to keep a driver's number handy, but that doesn't work when you're out of town or your regular driver is not available. The taxi companies have shown themselves unreliable so Uber and similar services have arrived.
I travel for work and typically have rent cars, or catch cabs in places where cabs are readily available. I will never again call for a cab in Dallas. The local cabs are almost exclusively run by Yellow, which is owned by crooked political operatives. The cabs are not clean and drivers are not professional. The dispatch is dysfunctional and getting a cab may take 45 minutes or longer. Pre-arranged rides may arrived hours late.
The market is ripe for a new entry, and the old medallion and city-awarded franchise systems are doomed.

As for carrying, if they post the state required notice in each vehicle, or hand me a card after they have picked me up, I may get out and leave them hanging, or I may simply say nothing since state law is, at best, fuzzy in Texas on restricting carry in private transportation for hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relatively safe?

Did you miss the investigative reports that showed Uber's background checks were horrible and let people with felony burglary and assault convictions through? One news organization hired a woman with burglary convictions to apply and she was passed! She even said on camera that if she was driving someone to the airport she'd be tempted to drive back after dropping them off and rob their house! So much for "relatively safe."
This is another one, there are scores of stories like this on the net:
https://pando.com/2014/04/24/uberx-...so-much-for-those-improved-background-checks/

Why are you talking about Texas? This is the Washington state sub-forum. The RCWs are very clear on trespassing and posted conditions of entry, especially when it's clear that people are or should be aware of them having actively agreed to them.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Why are you talking about Texas? This is the Washington state sub-forum.

This is the problem with the "New Posts" listing, dang it. Sorry for the intrusion. (I'm on mobile so which forum it's in doesn't show.)

But yes, relative safety. Kind of like the guys who look at baggage tags at airports and go rob people's houses based on those. There's always risk.

nonameisgood

will be interesting to see ramifications to uber here in the US after the french ban uber last year and they continued to operate...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33281896

ipse

In the U.S., they (Apple/Google at the request of the government) would shut down the app and fix that problem for the most part. It's the app that makes it most useful.
I heard part of a story today that Ford is looking toward ride sharing rather than ownership in the future. From the little I heard, they are also looking at fractional ownership, especially with respect to self-driving cars.
I think we are on the way to witnessing a transportation revolution. We should expect short-sighted government types to hinder progress

golddigger14s

Activist Member
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...int-two-weeks-after-company-disarmed-drivers/

"On Wednesday, an Uber driver in Queens was robbed by a man who allegedly got in his car, pointed a rifle at him, and demanded his money.

This incident took place just two weeks after Uber formally changed its gun policy by banning drivers from possessing firearms for self-defense. It comes less than a week since Uber made that change public."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
French Humor

So France still surrenders immediately upon violence instead of enforcing freedom? Who would have thought?

(That statement is following a modern cliché. I actually have the highest respect for the French fighters of days gone by.)

From a tour guide at the Tower of London*:

"History is nearly always written by the people who win...which explains all the blank pages in French history books." :)

skip ahead to 11:45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7TKdQ This tour guide is quite entertaining; hunt up the first video of him and watch them in sequence. And, I don't owe you a keyboard if you're drinking a beverage. Nor, medical bills if you fall out your chair laughing.

*Beefeaters. Aka Yeoman Warders of the Tower. These guys are all former sergeant majors with more than 20 years military service. The Queen's personal bodyguards for ceremonial and state occasions.