Thread: Culpeper BBQ dinner July 2; 6:30 'til...

Culpeper BBQ dinner July 1; 6:30 'til...

For the folks who find it inconvenient to drive to Richmond for the OC festivities, let's meet up in Culpeper, centrally located to Winchester, Warrenton/Gainesville, Manassas, Orange, F'burg, and so forth. Wednesday, July 1, 2015, I'll be there from about 6:30pm.

Location, menu & such: Shawn's Smokehouse BBQ,

On Rt 522 at the North end of the Town of Culpeper, in a small strip mall on the Right as you're headed toward Winchester, right next door to Gray Ghost Tactical firearms dealer.

Let me know if you're coming, please, so I can warn the staff to be able to shuffle enough tables in the same general area.

Btw, the baked beans do NOT get rave reviews, and the dinner rolls are ordinary white flour dinner rolls. Everything else is really, seriously good eats, and they have a dozen or so sauces they make and bottle themselves. Definitely Not halal, not kosher, but definitely Virginia (for those who live North of the NI River).
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-22-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: date correction - thread catchline is still wrong
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Founder's Club Member
    July 1 or July 2?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    July 1 or July 2?
    He said Wednesday July 1 .. July 1 is a Wednesday this year so I'm guessing he means July 1. Don't feel bad though .. skid and Grape are often getting dates wrong for Saturday breakfasts here in Richmond
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Put me down for 2 possible. It might be just 1 by the time I get there if a certain party cannot behave on the drive there - and might be only 1 thereafter if that party cannot behave on the trip back.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    He said Wednesday July 1 .. July 1 is a Wednesday this year so I'm guessing he means July 1. Don't feel bad though .. skid and Grape are often getting dates wrong for Saturday breakfasts here in Richmond
    Yup. Got 'em all wrong and corrected those I could - maybe some well-behaved moderator type can correct the thread title, if that's possible. But just in case there's any doubt, it's WEDNESDAY, July the FIRST.

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Founder's Club Member
    Oh, dang, dang, dang!! I'll be working. Can't attend.

I'd be even more disappointed if it meant I was gonna miss some of User's scratch-made beans like he brought to the Burke Lake picnic a few years ago. But, since its a restaurant whose beans are not known to trigger rave reviews...

Y'all have fun.

And, no making jokes about me when I ain't there to d'fen myself.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Put me down for this, please.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Put us down tentatively for three if you're contacting them soon. Spouse is recovering from knee-replacement surgery, and may or may not be ready to sit in a regular chair and bend his leg. I'll update as I know more.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

I'm in. If anything changes I'll update status.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I'm in. It's only just over an hour away from my house. It also looks to be a reverse commute.

It's down to just one - a certain party expresses fear of being left on the side of the road.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Sorry to have to bow out, but we'll just have to make the next one.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

That was fun. Good food. Good company.

I put the top down on the way home and blasting through the countryside at 70 mph in that weather was amazing.

The food was good, the company was excellent, and Marco's Childrearing 501 almost made me want to go out and rent some to see if the techniques really would be as much fun as he made them sound.

There was a full moon out. A full moon that stayed low to the horizon so it looked as if it were really big. And it seemed to be working quite well - the highways and byways were full of crazies.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Really sorry that I had to miss this one

Will be looking for information response that was to be requested there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Really sorry that I had to miss this one

Will be looking for information response that was to be requested there.
    Sorry, too, you missed a good one. Very good food, and the folks at Shawn's were very accomodating. We did talk about you, though. I did talk to Skidmark as your delegate about the other thing.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Marco now needs to be known ans "Non Stop" (I a mean that in a good way). Great to see him and user again and nice meeting the other folks as well. Very good time.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Yes, nice to be able to put faces to a couple of names on here.

The drive home was a %#@$&, got as far as Ashland at a good rate of speed and then it took 45 minutes to go the next 4 miles. Until that point my GPS had been telling me I'd be home at 10.15 after stopping for gas at the Sheetz just on the edge of The Wilderness, eventually got home at 11 and actually did make it into work at 7am today, although by 3 I was sayng "no I dont want overtime today, I'm going home now!".

Really glad I stocked up on food at dinner last night, as I got home from work to find my wife has taken Logan to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg to see her oldest friend and her kids for today and tomorrow. Food last night was good, those fries were especially tasty

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Marco now needs to be known ans "Non Stop" (I a mean that in a good way). Great to see him and user again and nice meeting the other folks as well. Very good time.
    Every time I've met Marco he's been like that, and having a 5 year old son myself I WAS taking notes
    Last edited by scouser; 07-02-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post

The drive home was a %#@$&, got as far as Ashland at a good rate of speed and then it took 45 minutes to go the next 4 miles.
    Strange. I jumped off I-95 at Lewistown Rd and cruised home on US-1 with no problems. Maybe using the free app WAZE, with it's participant-driven traffic alerts, might have contributed to that decision as it was warning me starting at Thornburg that traffic was stalled at Ashland.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit