Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanover Tomato Festival is Sat. July 11th

Hanover Tomato Festival is Sat. July 11th

http://www.hanovercounty.gov/Events/...mato-Festival/

The annual battle of Dukes v Hellman's (is there really any question?), 'mater sammiches running down your chin, and a wonderful opportunity to go and get a sunburn.

Bring your lawn chairs, wide brimmed hats, and your walking shoes. Some of us may follow the shade from tree to tree. Some of us may be solicited by other attendees - sometimes folks just want what they don't already have.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    http://www.hanovercounty.gov/Events/...mato-Festival/

The annual battle of Dukes v Hellman's (is there really any question?), ...
    Not really, since Sauer's (formerly manufacturer of Duke's) got bought out and the big spice factory on Broad St. was shut down, I don't see a spit's worth of difference between the two. I've taken to making my own mayonnaise. Without soybean oil. Btw, Duke's advertises on TV that they're still the same as they were in nineteen-aught-something, but that's hogwash, and besides they didn't even use soybeans for human consumption back then except in East Asia. I used to live around the block from that spice factory, btw, on the two-thousand block of Monument Ave., and always enjoyed the interesting smells - you could always tell right off what spice they were working on that week.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Not really, since Sauer's (formerly manufacturer of Duke's) got bought out and the big spice factory on Broad St. was shut down, I don't see a spit's worth of difference between the two. I've taken to making my own mayonnaise. Without soybean oil. Btw, Duke's advertises on TV that they're still the same as they were in nineteen-aught-something, but that's hogwash, and besides they didn't even use soybeans for human consumption back then except in East Asia. I used to live around the block from that spice factory, btw, on the two-thousand block of Monument Ave., and always enjoyed the interesting smells - you could always tell right off what spice they were working on that week.
    Reminiscent of boyhood memories when the McCormick Spice plant was in downtown Baltimore, right on the harbor. It always gave a pleasant aroma to the area, but they had enough of Baltimore politics and moved way out into the county. Baltimore has never smelled quite the same...
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I'll try to make that. Always exciting. I've used one clip of video many times in tutorials on what NOT to say to a cameraman.
    I wonder if they've figured out the 1st amendment has nothing to do with privacy yet.

I'm excitedly waiting to see what HSO will do about mass petty thefts this year.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    That sea of orange wasn't all tomatoes.

We surely had the support of a great number of freedom loving people. As I recall there were several politicians there actually handing out/offering their campaign literature - no one stepped in to discourage them.

We were not handing out anything - just held them up w/o saying anything and people took them from us.......one, two, three, and four at a time.

Cooler weather would be a boon.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posted to wrong thread. Edited.

I'll try to be at the festival this year just the same !
    Last edited by FBrinson; 06-21-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Damn! Tomato festival rules don't allow profanity! Peaches can come along, though. Do you suppose a "virtual leash" is ok?

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Damn! Tomato festival rules don't allow profanity! Peaches can come along, though. Do you suppose a "virtual leash" is ok?
    Nothing would seem to indicate of what material the leash must be made.

Do you have any button hole thread or kite string? Make a leash yourself for Peaches.

From the way I read the rules, there is no exception for K-9 police dogs or mounted patrol = all animals must be on a leash.

Since I am neither vegetable nor mineral, I will object when the attempt to put a leash on me.........though some children might be better so restricted.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Someday I'll post the end of the cellar man's rant about his 1st amendment right to privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Someday I'll post the end of the cellar man's rant about his 1st amendment right to privacy.
    Had forgotten about that - was classic make-it-up-as-you-go!

He had a right to privacy (not be recorded) while spouting off and trying to intimidate (color of law) someone in a public park during a free, open to the public event.

Apparently local constabulary didn't agree with him on any of his demands/complaints, as no one got shiney new wrist jewelry.

That man managed to embarrass the tomatoes who had given their all to be there - some were even seen blushing in shame
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-22-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    looking forward to it.

http://www.hanovercounty.gov/RP/Toma...Guidelines.pdf Festival Attendance Guidelines

I believe there is some legal phrase for saying "You were given clear notice", especially as The Handsome Young Videographer was a card-carrying member of the press at the time that happened. I believe he now has credentials even more specifically aligned with the stated purposes of the HTF.

And people say that the 'Mater Fest is boring.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

If you must have a leash....

Attach yourself to your pistol. Then you are on a leash to meet their standards, you animal, you! LOL
    Cool weather would be a good thing that weekend. I will have 2 days on the range, in the sun, at Rivanna that weekend. I won't be making it to the festival........
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Would more people commit to attending if I offered to pay for their free parking?

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Would more people commit to attending if I offered to pay for their free parking?

stay safe.
    Can you arrange for valet and bellhop services?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Can you arrange for valet and bellhop services?
    Why, yes I can.

When you hear the bell, begin hopping.

Wait - it seems you inquired about valet, not varlet, service. Sorry, but you will have to see the concierges about that. They wear snazzy brown uniforms so you should be able to easily recognize them. They are all just chomping at the bit to help you bathe, lay out some fresh clothing for you, then bring you your meals. Hope you like fire hoses, stripes, and Nutri-Loaf.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Why, yes I can.

When you hear the bell, begin hopping.

Wait - it seems you inquired about valet, not varlet, service. Sorry, but you will have to see the concierges about that. They wear snazzy brown uniforms so you should be able to easily recognize them. They are all just chomping at the bit to help you bathe, lay out some fresh clothing for you, then bring you your meals. Hope you like fire hoses, stripes, and Nutri-Loaf.

stay safe.
    STOP - this is my week to be Frick, yours was last week.

Must keep iin mind that there is also an attending varmint or two (or 3 or 4)

It's almost upon us. Check your supply of sunscreen* and handi-wipes.**

stay safe.

* - remember your ears

** - 'mater juice gets sticky. You may also want to wipe sunscreen from the palms of your hands.

----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    Sacrilege! Heresy!

Clearly Duke's is the better!

Agreed that soybean oil, and calcium disodium EDTA lessen the experience, though. I'll bet the soybean oil is in there because of some farm subsidy skewing the market. Kinda like corn-syrup in soft-drinks. Today, if you want the genuine version of that all-American beverage, Coca-Cola, you gotta get it from Mexico for it to have real sugar and no corn-syrup.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Sacrilege! Heresy!

Clearly Duke's is the better!

Agreed that soybean oil, and calcium disodium EDTA lessen the experience, though. I'll bet the soybean oil is in there because of some farm subsidy skewing the market. Kinda like corn-syrup in soft-drinks. Today, if you want the genuine version of that all-American beverage, Coca-Cola, you gotta get it from Mexico for it to have real sugar and no corn-syrup.
    Pepsi Thoughback is the real thing - uses cane sugar - and is available at your local grocery store.

Mexican Coca-Cola doesn't taste right some say.

Haven't found a viable commercially produced mayo that is a Throwback version, but am a bit of a maverick to the regard in that I prefer Miracle Whip.

My appetite for Hanover tomatoes, my purdy gun, and GSL stickers are all on standby.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-05-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip

In 1933, Kraft developed Miracle Whip as a less expensive alternative to mayonnaise. Premiering at the Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago in 1933, Miracle Whip was an instant success as a condiment on fruits, vegetables and salads.[1]
    According to Kraft archivist Becky Haglund Tousey, Kraft developed the product in-house using a patented "emulsifying machine" (invented by Charles Chapman) to create a product blending mayonnaise product and less expensive salad dressing, sometimes called "boiled dressing."[2] The machine (dubbed "Miracle Whip" by Chapman) ensured that the ingredients (including more than 20 different spices) could be thoroughly blended.[1]
    However, another story claims that Miracle Whip was invented in Salem, Illinois, at Max Crosset's Cafe, where it was called "Max Crossett's X-tra Fine Salad Dressing". Crosset sold it to Kraft Foods in 1931 for $300[3] (approximately $4,669.72 in 2015).[4] While admitting that Kraft did buy many salad dressings, Tousey disputes the claim that X-tra Fine was Miracle Whip.[1]
    Miracle Whip is to mayo as pasteurized processed cheese food product is to actual cheese. And it is made from "mayonnaise product" - which the FDA says is not even real mayo.

But I have known for years that you are a classless heathen who has an alleged disability of a compromised sense of taste. So long as we continue to let that story be believed you will get a pass.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip

Miracle Whip is to mayo as pasteurized processed cheese food product is to actual cheese. And it is made from "mayonnaise product" - which the FDA says is not even real mayo.

But I have known for years that you are a classless heathen who has an alleged disability of a compromised sense of taste. So long as we continue to let that story be believed you will get a pass.

stay safe.
    Your saying that I march to my own drummer will be taken as a compliment - thank you, sir.

By the way, are there tomatoes involved in this shindig? How's this thing work? We may need a native guide. Probably arrive some time after the singing of the hymn to the worship of federal power. (This "America's Birthday" crap kind of bugs me, and I'm still a bit perturbed - on the one hand, one might argue that "America's Birthday" should be May 14, 1607; on the other, like, where was the United States when Virginia left the British Empire? There wasn't any "United States" until thirteen years AFTER Virginia sent its Declaration of Independence to Geo.III. Where was the U.S. when there were "bombs bursting in air"? Just a gleam in Madison and Hamilton's eyes, if that. I don't like having our heritage co-opted for propaganda effect.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast