• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hanover Tomato Festival is Sat. July 11th

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.hanovercounty.gov/Events/Tomato-Festival/Hanover-Tomato-Festival/

The annual battle of Dukes v Hellman's (is there really any question?), 'mater sammiches running down your chin, and a wonderful opportunity to go and get a sunburn.

Bring your lawn chairs, wide brimmed hats, and your walking shoes. Some of us may follow the shade from tree to tree. Some of us may be solicited by other attendees - sometimes folks just want what they don't already have.

user

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.hanovercounty.gov/Events/Tomato-Festival/Hanover-Tomato-Festival/

The annual battle of Dukes v Hellman's (is there really any question?), ...

Not really, since Sauer's (formerly manufacturer of Duke's) got bought out and the big spice factory on Broad St. was shut down, I don't see a spit's worth of difference between the two. I've taken to making my own mayonnaise. Without soybean oil. Btw, Duke's advertises on TV that they're still the same as they were in nineteen-aught-something, but that's hogwash, and besides they didn't even use soybeans for human consumption back then except in East Asia. I used to live around the block from that spice factory, btw, on the two-thousand block of Monument Ave., and always enjoyed the interesting smells - you could always tell right off what spice they were working on that week.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Not really, since Sauer's (formerly manufacturer of Duke's) got bought out and the big spice factory on Broad St. was shut down, I don't see a spit's worth of difference between the two. I've taken to making my own mayonnaise. Without soybean oil. Btw, Duke's advertises on TV that they're still the same as they were in nineteen-aught-something, but that's hogwash, and besides they didn't even use soybeans for human consumption back then except in East Asia. I used to live around the block from that spice factory, btw, on the two-thousand block of Monument Ave., and always enjoyed the interesting smells - you could always tell right off what spice they were working on that week.

Reminiscent of boyhood memories when the McCormick Spice plant was in downtown Baltimore, right on the harbor. It always gave a pleasant aroma to the area, but they had enough of Baltimore politics and moved way out into the county. Baltimore has never smelled quite the same...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll try to make that. Always exciting. I've used one clip of video many times in tutorials on what NOT to say to a cameraman.
I wonder if they've figured out the 1st amendment has nothing to do with privacy yet.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm excitedly waiting to see what HSO will do about mass petty thefts this year.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That sea of orange wasn't all tomatoes.

We surely had the support of a great number of freedom loving people. As I recall there were several politicians there actually handing out/offering their campaign literature - no one stepped in to discourage them.

We were not handing out anything - just held them up w/o saying anything and people took them from us.......one, two, three, and four at a time.

Cooler weather would be a boon.

FBrinson

Posted to wrong thread. Edited.

I'll try to be at the festival this year just the same !

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Damn! Tomato festival rules don't allow profanity! Peaches can come along, though. Do you suppose a "virtual leash" is ok?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Damn! Tomato festival rules don't allow profanity! Peaches can come along, though. Do you suppose a "virtual leash" is ok?
Nothing would seem to indicate of what material the leash must be made.

Do you have any button hole thread or kite string? Make a leash yourself for Peaches.

From the way I read the rules, there is no exception for K-9 police dogs or mounted patrol = all animals must be on a leash.

Since I am neither vegetable nor mineral, I will object when the attempt to put a leash on me.........though some children might be better so restricted.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Someday I'll post the end of the cellar man's rant about his 1st amendment right to privacy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Someday I'll post the end of the cellar man's rant about his 1st amendment right to privacy.
Had forgotten about that - was classic make-it-up-as-you-go!

He had a right to privacy (not be recorded) while spouting off and trying to intimidate (color of law) someone in a public park during a free, open to the public event.

Apparently local constabulary didn't agree with him on any of his demands/complaints, as no one got shiney new wrist jewelry.

That man managed to embarrass the tomatoes who had given their all to be there - some were even seen blushing in shame :lol:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.hanovercounty.gov/RP/Tomato_Festival_Guidelines.pdf Festival Attendance Guidelines

I believe there is some legal phrase for saying "You were given clear notice", especially as The Handsome Young Videographer was a card-carrying member of the press at the time that happened. I believe he now has credentials even more specifically aligned with the stated purposes of the HTF.

And people say that the 'Mater Fest is boring.

stay safe.

The Wolfhound

If you must have a leash....

Attach yourself to your pistol. Then you are on a leash to meet their standards, you animal, you! LOL
Cool weather would be a good thing that weekend. I will have 2 days on the range, in the sun, at Rivanna that weekend. I won't be making it to the festival........

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Would more people commit to attending if I offered to pay for their free parking?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Can you arrange for valet and bellhop services?

Why, yes I can.

When you hear the bell, begin hopping.

Wait - it seems you inquired about valet, not varlet, service. Sorry, but you will have to see the concierges about that. They wear snazzy brown uniforms so you should be able to easily recognize them. They are all just chomping at the bit to help you bathe, lay out some fresh clothing for you, then bring you your meals. Hope you like fire hoses, stripes, and Nutri-Loaf.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why, yes I can.

When you hear the bell, begin hopping.

Wait - it seems you inquired about valet, not varlet, service. Sorry, but you will have to see the concierges about that. They wear snazzy brown uniforms so you should be able to easily recognize them. They are all just chomping at the bit to help you bathe, lay out some fresh clothing for you, then bring you your meals. Hope you like fire hoses, stripes, and Nutri-Loaf.

stay safe.

STOP - this is my week to be Frick, yours was last week.

Must keep iin mind that there is also an attending varmint or two (or 3 or 4)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's almost upon us. Check your supply of sunscreen* and handi-wipes.**

stay safe.

* - remember your ears

** - 'mater juice gets sticky. You may also want to wipe sunscreen from the palms of your hands.