• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hanover Tomato Festival is Sat. July 11th

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not really, since Sauer's (formerly manufacturer of Duke's) got bought out and the big spice factory on Broad St. was shut down, I don't see a spit's worth of difference between the two. I've taken to making my own mayonnaise. Without soybean oil. Btw, Duke's advertises on TV that they're still the same as they were in nineteen-aught-something, but that's hogwash, and besides they didn't even use soybeans for human consumption back then except in East Asia. I used to live around the block from that spice factory, btw, on the two-thousand block of Monument Ave., and always enjoyed the interesting smells - you could always tell right off what spice they were working on that week.

Sacrilege! Heresy! :)

Clearly Duke's is the better!

Agreed that soybean oil, and calcium disodium EDTA lessen the experience, though. I'll bet the soybean oil is in there because of some farm subsidy skewing the market. Kinda like corn-syrup in soft-drinks. Today, if you want the genuine version of that all-American beverage, Coca-Cola, you gotta get it from Mexico for it to have real sugar and no corn-syrup.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sacrilege! Heresy! :)

Clearly Duke's is the better!

Agreed that soybean oil, and calcium disodium EDTA lessen the experience, though. I'll bet the soybean oil is in there because of some farm subsidy skewing the market. Kinda like corn-syrup in soft-drinks. Today, if you want the genuine version of that all-American beverage, Coca-Cola, you gotta get it from Mexico for it to have real sugar and no corn-syrup.
Pepsi Thoughback is the real thing - uses cane sugar - and is available at your local grocery store.

Mexican Coca-Cola doesn't taste right some say.

Haven't found a viable commercially produced mayo that is a Throwback version, but am a bit of a maverick to the regard in that I prefer Miracle Whip.

My appetite for Hanover tomatoes, my purdy gun, and GSL stickers are all on standby.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip

In 1933, Kraft developed Miracle Whip as a less expensive alternative to mayonnaise. Premiering at the Century of Progress World's Fair in Chicago in 1933, Miracle Whip was an instant success as a condiment on fruits, vegetables and salads.[1]
According to Kraft archivist Becky Haglund Tousey, Kraft developed the product in-house using a patented "emulsifying machine" (invented by Charles Chapman) to create a product blending mayonnaise product and less expensive salad dressing, sometimes called "boiled dressing."[2] The machine (dubbed "Miracle Whip" by Chapman) ensured that the ingredients (including more than 20 different spices) could be thoroughly blended.[1]
However, another story claims that Miracle Whip was invented in Salem, Illinois, at Max Crosset's Cafe, where it was called "Max Crossett's X-tra Fine Salad Dressing". Crosset sold it to Kraft Foods in 1931 for $300[3] (approximately $4,669.72 in 2015).[4] While admitting that Kraft did buy many salad dressings, Tousey disputes the claim that X-tra Fine was Miracle Whip.[1]

Miracle Whip is to mayo as pasteurized processed cheese food product is to actual cheese. And it is made from "mayonnaise product" - which the FDA says is not even real mayo.

But I have known for years that you are a classless heathen who has an alleged disability of a compromised sense of taste. So long as we continue to let that story be believed you will get a pass.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip

Miracle Whip is to mayo as pasteurized processed cheese food product is to actual cheese. And it is made from "mayonnaise product" - which the FDA says is not even real mayo.

But I have known for years that you are a classless heathen who has an alleged disability of a compromised sense of taste. So long as we continue to let that story be believed you will get a pass.

stay safe.
Your saying that I march to my own drummer will be taken as a compliment - thank you, sir. :)

user

Accomplished Advocate
By the way, are there tomatoes involved in this shindig? How's this thing work? We may need a native guide. Probably arrive some time after the singing of the hymn to the worship of federal power. (This "America's Birthday" crap kind of bugs me, and I'm still a bit perturbed - on the one hand, one might argue that "America's Birthday" should be May 14, 1607; on the other, like, where was the United States when Virginia left the British Empire? There wasn't any "United States" until thirteen years AFTER Virginia sent its Declaration of Independence to Geo.III. Where was the U.S. when there were "bombs bursting in air"? Just a gleam in Madison and Hamilton's eyes, if that. I don't like having our heritage co-opted for propaganda effect.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By the way, are there tomatoes involved in this shindig? How's this thing work? We may need a native guide. --snipped--
Lots and lots of tomatoes - located in county park - public invited - free admittance and free parking.
http://www.hanovercounty.gov/Events/Tomato-Festival/Hanover-Tomato-Festival/

In the past, "event staff" has tried to restrict free stickers (GSL) from being taken from those having a roll of them. Note at no time did we offer them or ask anyone if they'd like one - people asked for them or snatched them from our thumbs.

The event staff finally gave up - we'll see how this year goes.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

The event staff finally gave up - we'll see how this year goes.

HSO (not the military surplus store on Jeff Davis Highway) took no action whatsoever when informed that people were taking stickers - stickers that were our personal property.

We had a serious case of the sads because of that. It was like being the wimpy kid who just came out of the candy store and had his candy stolen, his glasses knocked off, and nobody cared.:(

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The length of my stay and even if I attend will be determined by the comfort index that day. May arrive in the early part of the day when it hopefully will be cooler.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Crisis

These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.

No, that does not mean that you have to stay through the heat and humidity risking your health or very life. It does mean you show up and do what you can. The fact that there are many forms of entertainment available while you are there is a bonus.

stay safe.

johnfenter

Dan...

Just for fun: The "United States of America" was in draft form in the Continental Congress when Virginia sent it's Declaration; in 1781, before the Revolution was won, the final Articles of Confederation formalized the "United States of America", until replaced by the Constitution in 1789 as you noted. The "bombs bursting in air" is a Francis Scott Key reference to the Congreve rockets used by the British against the U.S. Army during the war of 1812; they were not in use during the Revolutionary War, and were unknown to Madison/Hamilton at that time. The selection of the 4th of July was chosen as the "birth" of the country based on the significance of the signing of the Declaration on that date; that choice was made by those who are long dead, and who we can assume were aware of the other significant dates you bring up. I'll spend my time worrying about more important things, like how good a tomato can taste.
And, apparently, a ****load of tomatoes will be in attendance!

By the way, are there tomatoes involved in this shindig? How's this thing work? We may need a native guide. Probably arrive some time after the singing of the hymn to the worship of federal power. (This "America's Birthday" crap kind of bugs me, and I'm still a bit perturbed - on the one hand, one might argue that "America's Birthday" should be May 14, 1607; on the other, like, where was the United States when Virginia left the British Empire? There wasn't any "United States" until thirteen years AFTER Virginia sent its Declaration of Independence to Geo.III. Where was the U.S. when there were "bombs bursting in air"? Just a gleam in Madison and Hamilton's eyes, if that. I don't like having our heritage co-opted for propaganda effect.)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
. The selection of the 4th of July was chosen as the "birth" of the country based on the significance of the signing of the Declaration on that date; that choice was made by those who are long dead, and who we can assume were aware of the other significant dates you bring up. .

Two pedantic points -

- the Declaration was printed with the July 4 date on it, but was not signed by anybody until July 6. Copies of the unsigned document were rushed to the major cities of the colonies, but in many cases did not arrive until 12 weeks had passed.

- that's a US ****load of tomatoes, as opposed to either an Imperial or a metric ****load. http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/metric-tons-to-tons.htm

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Just for fun: The "United States of America" was in draft form in the Continental Congress when Virginia sent it's Declaration; in 1781, before the Revolution was won, the final Articles of Confederation formalized the "United States of America", until replaced by the Constitution in 1789 as you noted. The "bombs bursting in air" is a Francis Scott Key reference to the Congreve rockets used by the British against the U.S. Army during the war of 1812; they were not in use during the Revolutionary War, and were unknown to Madison/Hamilton at that time. The selection of the 4th of July was chosen as the "birth" of the country based on the significance of the signing of the Declaration on that date; that choice was made by those who are long dead, and who we can assume were aware of the other significant dates you bring up. I'll spend my time worrying about more important things, like how good a tomato can taste.

good thing I stuck to church history in college, eh? but this is more of an emotional outburst than an academic one: when they walked me to school as a kid, we passed by a post office. Every time we did, they'd point it out to me and tell me that the flag up there was a sign of enemy occupation, and it was our duty in Alexandria to defend the border against further incursion. I was raised to be a Virginian. I'm a citizen of the United States because I'm a Virginian, not the other way around. So there.

Btw, the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia is a present day symbol of resistance to the tyranny of "the federal republic", and has absolutely nothing to do with race. Though I don't own such a flag, I believe in limited government, balanced by the distribution of powers. But since Marbury v. Madison, every generation has seen a further slip into federal imperialism, and today, most people think that the states are hierarchically subordinate to the United States, not co-equal governments with a different set of powers as described in the Constitution.

It's time for the stockholders to take over management of the company.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP But since Marbury v. Madison, every generation has seen a further slip into federal imperialism,

Literally true.

I would argue that it started even earlier.

Look into Alexander Hamilton's machinations to establish the first national bank while he was Sec. Treas. for Geo. Washington. Washington asked Hamilton and his Sec State, Thos. Jefferson, for their opinions on the matter.

Jefferson was fairly succinct in his reply memo. The part of the memo I recall is Jefferson pointing out that in the necessary and proper clause, necessary means necessary: essential, cannot be done without. While a national bank might be convenient, convenient does not mean necessary.

Hamilton wrote a multi-thousand word memo. Washington went with Hamilton's opinion. Implied powers were born.

Alternately, I would argue that federal imperialism began in 1788 when the 9th state ratified the constitution. The American people already had a genuine federalism under the Articles of Confederation. The constitution, with all its faults, made federal imperialism a near certainty--see the writings of the anti-Federalists arguing against ratification. Their fears came true. As Lysander Spooner wrote in 1870 in No Treason, the constitution either gave us the government we have or was powerless to stop it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I'm a citizen of the United States because I'm a Virginian, not the other way around.

I suspect that idea disappeared with the Fourteenth Amendment: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside..."

If there is case law on the subject, I'd love to see it.

On the other hand, I can see ignoring the implied reduction in states rights and the supremacy of state citizenship over federal citizenship. You know, a sort of, "If they can't write it clearly, leaving it open to alternate interpretations, I'll make my own meaning."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It officially starts at 9 AM.

I'm thinking of suggesting to The Breakfast Club that any gathering be done at Pole Green Park. That will give folks an opportunity to beat most of the heat.*

stay safe

* - NSTITIWT story (as opposed to a fairy tale which begins with OUAT): the weather weenies in Viet Nam used to make a big deal about the forecast that it was only going to be 104* as opposed to the day before being 105*.