• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat June 27th

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat June 27[SUP]th[/SUP] at 9:30 am

Nick's Roman Terrace
Westland Shopping Center.........Directions
8051 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA
(804) 270-2988

Back to Nick's by special request - seems their coffee is easier to clean up.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Bring your special secret decoder ring to breakfast, and be sure to know which secret hand shake is being used this month. Wouldn't want any of the anti's to sneak in. One of the topics to be discussed:

http://bearingarms.com/scotus-ruling-sex-marriage-mandates-nationwide-concealed-carry-reciprocity/

SCOTUS Ruling On Same-Sex Marriage Mandates Nationwide Concealed Carry [strike]Reciprocity[/strike]

Interesting point of view. ;>)

I'll happily settle for universal recognition in the same manner as all the states are being told to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

National reciprocity - hack, spit, gag. That would only come via federal law and I have never trusted Congress. :uhoh: They would write something that imposes the least change on the states with the most restrictive laws - NJ, MD, CA and DC especially. No thank you.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll happily settle for universal recognition in the same manner as all the states are being told to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states.

National reciprocity - hack, spit, gag. That would only come via federal law and I have never trusted Congress. :uhoh: They would write something that imposes the least change on the states with the most restrictive laws - NJ, MD, CA and DC especially. No thank you.

stay safe.
Yes there is a difference.

Universal recognition
would be a good thing.......unless you were an anti, BUT it does revolve around P4P.

National reciprocity is like putting your appendage into a viper's nest seeking your reward and expecting to not get bitten.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I raised the issue in a Virginia Trial Lawyers' Ass'n. listserv, and got one response:

I don't believe the same principle would apply because the gun laws would survive a strict scrutiny test:

- there is a "compelling state interest" behind the challenged policy, and

- the law or regulation is "narrowly tailored" to achieve its result.

People raised a similar issue with respect to private drug use in the home on the ground that Roe v. Wade said the state can't invade one's personal, private medical decisions. I think the lawyer I quoted actually believes what she said, but more importantly, she's right that the court could draw a distinction between the two types of case, and probably would on the basis of politics. Keeping us "physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight" used to be considered "compelling state interest" justifying the use of the police power which only the states have. I don't think the other side even argued on the basis of the need to protect the public health, welfare and morals, because, when you come down to it, in a grossly immoral society, no one wants to argue about regulation of morals. And protection from evil dangerous guns is seen as different from protection from evil dangerous homosexuals.

And to some extent, I agree with that. The whole regulation of marriage and divorce thing, as far as the state is concerned, is a mass of "legal fiction" (which is the technical term for what we in the community refer to as BULLS***). Real marriage is something the state can't touch, so I'd treat all such communal living arrangements the same way we do business partnerships. You could marry your cow if you want to, if I were king, or your twelve-year-old cousin (Great Balls o'Fire!).

Yes, I would completely wipe out "Domestic Relations" as a field in the practice of law. Think how many of the worst lawyers would be out on the streets with nothing to do. I could kill two stones with one bird!

Last edited: