Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry/defense on a beach?

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

Carry/defense on a beach?

Hearing the news today of 39 killed on a beach resort in Tunisia, I have to ask, how can we reasonably defend ourselves on a beach against a gunman? Either OC or CC, how it that possible, and if not, are we agreeing that no one on here who says they ALWAYS carry, never go swimming on a beach? What's the plan on a beach? I'm sure no one just leaves their weapon "hidden" in a towel on the beach. Who needs to carry on a beach? Advise please . . . . .
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

SEAL's never have problems with sand jamming their H&K's. That's a bit why I selected mine.

I carried a few times on the beach in Charleston, SC, in my full coverage Action Direct chest pack/holster. My H&K was always wet with perspiration after hard exercise, and never the worse for wearing it.

As to cover, water is great cover, particularly at a distance and shallow angle. I'd be in the water in a flash.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-27-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Red face Beach carry

Aftermath might be problematic -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tan_lines.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	12615  

You just had to go there, didn't you?

OVJ -

The answer to your question is right here - http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-19897.html&

1 - do not let small children or domestic animals read that
    2 - ultra-high grade beverage and snack alert is in effect
    3 - information provided is for reference purposes only. copying techniques discussed is at your own risk. do not contact me if something happens.
    4 - no, I will not hold your beer
    5 - no, you may not post a video to YouTube (see #3 above)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

This is why there are inexpensive (relative term) plastic firearms.
    I use a holster similar to one of this sites sponsor to carry a G20 w/reload, while enjoying beach activities, unless OC is legal than I just OC.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

On a more serious note -

Pelican cases (but they can be difficult to purge out air so you need to account for them floating)

or

LokSaks http://www.loksak.com/pdf/LOKSAKcatalog2013_FinalLR.pdf (look at the Dipper or L'il Dipper that come with opaque outer covers)

Use them with a lanyard around your neck or a couple of loops of paracord to make a cross-body sling.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This is why there are inexpensive (relative term) plastic firearms.
    I use a holster similar to one of this sites sponsor to carry a G20 w/reload, while enjoying beach activities, unless OC is legal than I just OC.
    +1

There's always a solution joe and there will always be someone to argue about your solution.the sand issue is just one of the reasons I've been gravitating toward Glocks. My G20 shoots. Doesn't much matter what you do to it, it feeds and shoots.

Other solutions, I have a 22mag NAM I vacume sealed I carry in my kayak. Flare guns are nice. I have several including a 25mm that I heard you could make a 22lr or mag adapter for easily. I don't have one of course.
    Coolers, as skid pointed out, pelican boxes, travel mugs....the world is a stage Joe.
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-28-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks, all. This recent incident I mentioned may become a popular strategy to take folks out in mass. The nudist link Skid provided repeatedly talked about how was anyone evil going to conceal his gun nude (or in a skimpy bathing suit) to even start a massacre at a nudist camp? The fact is nudist camps and/or beaches and swimming pools have boundaries, not usually totally fenced, if at all, and an evil one can approach and cross any open property boundary and attack, or even shoot easily through a fence at the targets inside. In the Tunisia case, the man hid his rifle inside a folded beach umbrella(!), and there it was. I think this really deserves serious thought, that I had not regarded before now. And, a concealable pistol ain't no match for a rifle.

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    Thanks, all. This recent incident I mentioned may become a popular strategy to take folks out in mass. The nudist link Skid provided repeatedly talked about how was anyone evil going to conceal his gun nude (or in a skimpy bathing suit) to even start a massacre at a nudist camp? The fact is nudist camps and/or beaches and swimming pools have boundaries, not usually totally fenced, if at all, and an evil one can approach and cross any open property boundary and attack, or even shoot easily through a fence at the targets inside. In the Tunisia case, the man hid his rifle inside a folded beach umbrella(!), and there it was. I think this really deserves serious thought, that I had not regarded before now. And, a concealable pistol ain't no match for a rifle.
    one concept OVJ, et al., to remember, this recent tragedy occurred in a locale where SD handgun type firearms are not available to citizens and those who died were overseas tourists so their ability to transport this type of SD firearm is severely limited.

semi/auto rifles are or were in great supply in the murky underground in the middle east and used to go for about $100 (olde US bills only thank you!)

remember, 'normally' the cowards do not use sniper tactics on these kind of attacks since they wish to personally watch those shot die in front of them as well as the number of killed is extremely limited as the element of surprise is lost after the first or second shot.

i personally know the small six pack type ice chest i carry to NC's Atlantic Beach beach area, etc., only contains two bottles of gator aide!! (i have read you can get your finger into the trigger area of a firearm and it will shoot quite nicely through sandwich sized ziplocks, so i have read)

further thought...and you are visiting the beaches in CA or NY or NJ or....where firearm carry is verboden!

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-28-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I don't go to the beach, but a fanny pack and a 1911 with mil spec ammo will work fine. Mil spec ammo is sealed at the primer and crimp, and 1911's WILL fire wet. My choice for the 1911 over a poly gun is that it breaks down completely to every single part. I fell in a creek with mine, and it still functioned, and drying was simple with the gun completely broken to each part. Fanny pack would keep debri out of the gun. Yes you can fire it with sand, just like a glock, but plan on damaging the barrel with either. Silica(sand) will scrape the lands and grooves of the barrel, resulting in poor accuracy, leading, and loss of velocity after the damage. But the Glock fanatics won't tell you this when they make their claims.

Silica is much harder than steel, and has sharp edges, that is why it it used for blasting steel surfaces.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    one concept OVJ, et al., to remember, this recent tragedy occurred in a locale where SD handgun type firearms are not available to citizens and those who died were overseas tourists so their ability to transport this type of SD firearm is severely limited.

semi/auto rifles are or were in great supply in the murky underground in the middle east and used to go for about $100 (olde US bills only thank you!)

remember, 'normally' the cowards do not use sniper tactics on these kind of attacks since they wish to personally watch those shot die in front of them as well as the number of killed is extremely limited as the element of surprise is lost after the first or second shot.

i personally know the small six pack type ice chest i carry to NC's Atlantic Beach beach area, etc., only contains two bottles of gator aide!! (i have read you can get your finger into the trigger area of a firearm and it will shoot quite nicely through sandwich sized ziplocks, so i have read)

further thought...and you are visiting the beaches in CA or NY or NJ or....where firearm carry is verboden!

ipse
    But not on NC beaches...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    [ ... ]Silica is much harder than steel, and has sharp edges, that is why it it used for blasting steel surfaces.
    Non-sequitur! So are walnut shells.

Carry/defense on a beach?

I thought walnut shells were used to clean turbine impellers - definitely not harder than steel alloy.

From wiki:
    Brinell hardness numbers
    Softwood (e.g., pine)1.6 HBS 10/100
    Hardwood2.6–7.0 HBS 1.6 10/100
    Lead5.0 HB (pure lead; alloyed lead typically can range from 5.0 HB to values in excess of 22.0 HB)
    Pure Aluminium15 HB
    Copper35 HB
    Hardened AW-6060 Aluminium75 HB
    Mild steel120 HB
    18–8 (304) stainless steel annealed200 HB[4]
    Glass1550 HB
    Hardened tool steel600–900 HB (HBW 10/3000)
    Rhenium diboride4600 HB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HPmatt; 06-28-2015 at 11:33 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Someone should make a bag that fits the common handguns to conform to their shape, such that the trigger is wrapped, but the front part is able to be punched out. That way you'd have a wrapped firearm, which would only get exposed to water or moisture when the first shot was fired. You'd put it on then use a hair drier to make the stuff shrink to fit exactly.

You can get devices which suck out the air and anneal the plastic for storing stuff in the fridge/freezer. Should work with a firearm.

Problem with putting it in coolers and fanny packs is quick access. With a total shrink wrap you could put it anywhere, even in a deep cover pouch which could hid under your suit. Of course beware trying to swim with the added weight.

The vulnerability would be in keeping kids away from it, and what to do when you get in the water.

I'd also wonder about having something bullet resistant that you could carry (like a ballistic briefcase), providing some cover. Of course going to that extent you might have been careless in your beach selection process.

We revived boat motors from sunk boats, we actually soaked them in fresh water, lifted them out, blew out the excess water, cleaned the plugs, then started them. Wiring eventually had to be replaced though, salt does terrible things to wiring. Most guns will not be hurt by water, even steel guns, as long as they are not left to sit for long periods of time. Some guns like the glock needs a special FP cup to reduce the chance of a light strike due to hydraulics. 1911's do not have that problem as they do not have spring cups. As long as debri is kept clear of the barrel I see no reason for not OCing on the beach.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I keep a collection of 'household' chemicals, including desiccants, in anticipation of FedGov restricting their access. I have revived quite a few submerged and wetted cellphones. My new smarter-than-I phone is waterproof at one meter for thirty minutes.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-29-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Someone should make a bag that fits the common handguns to conform to their shape, such that the trigger is wrapped, but the front part is able to be punched out. That way you'd have a wrapped firearm, which would only get exposed to water or moisture when the first shot was fired. You'd put it on then use a hair drier to make the stuff shrink to fit exactly.

You can get devices which suck out the air and anneal the plastic for storing stuff in the fridge/freezer. Should work with a firearm.

Problem with putting it in coolers and fanny packs is quick access. With a total shrink wrap you could put it anywhere, even in a deep cover pouch which could hid under your suit. Of course beware trying to swim with the added weight.

The vulnerability would be in keeping kids away from it, and what to do when you get in the water.

I'd also wonder about having something bullet resistant that you could carry (like a ballistic briefcase), providing some cover. Of course going to that extent you might have been careless in your beach selection process.
    Might work for a revolver but unless you removed the whole wrapper, you are going to have an issue with the slide cycling and the spent shell ejecting properly. JMHO.

Once my wife decided she would predominately carry in her purse we assigned the automatic to the nightstand and got a revolver for the pocket in the purse for the same sort of reasons.
    Last edited by wrearick; 06-29-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Hope you got a shrouded/hammerless model. To many stories of the hammer catching on stuff going back or coming forward.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I haven't checked the statistics, but....

OMG you're more likely to be struck by lighting while simultaneously being bitten by a shark, than killed by ISIS terrorists while at the beach.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post

uh hiding it under my suit might just be a tad noticeable...granted it might not be the largest of the bulges, but still noticeable!!

maverick, if your firearm's muzzle velocity can't penetrate a zipped lock plastic sandwich bag, you might wish to consider changing ammo, firearms, or combination therein!! if you shrink wrap the firearm you would have to puncture the shrink wrap to pull the trigger. sandwich bag would stay floppy and you finger could easily pull the trigger w/o unzipping the bag!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post

OMG you're more likely to be struck by lighting while simultaneously being bitten by a shark, than killed by ISIS terrorists while at the beach.
    Those statistics were from BEFORE the new world order we are living in TODAY. Don't you see things are changing for the worst, and there seems to be no stopping it in Amerika. Keep on hiding your head in the sand . . . . . . . .

Last edited by Nightmare; 06-29-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    Those statistics were from BEFORE the new world order we are living in TODAY. Don't you see things are changing for the worst, and there seems to be no stopping it in Amerika. Keep on hiding your head in the sand . . . . . . . .
    And we just HAD to pass the "Patriot" Act, or we'd all die.

B

S

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post

We don't carry because we expect trouble. In most cases, wouldn't go there if we did.

The old expression is still true:
    Better to have it and not need it,
    Than to need it and not have it.

Count the grains of sand under your beach blanket. 2 or 3 of them represent terrorists........which ones? Active or sleepers?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-29-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: formatting
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We don't carry because we expect trouble. In most cases, wouldn't go there if we did.

The old expression is still true:
    Better to have it and not need it,
    Than to need it and not have it.

Count the grains of sand under your beach blanket. 2 or 3 of them represent terrorists........which ones? Active or sleepers?
    I would <3 to see some stats on "preppers and obesity."

Being able to run a 6 to 10 minute mile (depending on age) is way more important to being 'prepared.' http://www.livestrong.com/article/53...ou-run-a-mile/

Until a prepper can run, do push ups, pull ups, bench close to body weight, do planks for 5 minutes, etc, they should worry more about a heart attack than 2 or 3 grains of sand under their beach blanket. Based on your own made up statistics, you agree with me in regards to how likely a person will end up in a terrorist beach shoot out.

Obesity on the other hand, it's gonna kill a whole lotta preppers.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 06-30-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast