• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry/defense on a beach?

Old Virginia Joe

Hearing the news today of 39 killed on a beach resort in Tunisia, I have to ask, how can we reasonably defend ourselves on a beach against a gunman? Either OC or CC, how it that possible, and if not, are we agreeing that no one on here who says they ALWAYS carry, never go swimming on a beach? What's the plan on a beach? I'm sure no one just leaves their weapon "hidden" in a towel on the beach. Who needs to carry on a beach? Advise please . . . . .

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You just had to go there, didn't you?

OVJ -

The answer to your question is right here - http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-19897.html&

1 - do not let small children or domestic animals read that
2 - ultra-high grade beverage and snack alert is in effect
3 - information provided is for reference purposes only. copying techniques discussed is at your own risk. do not contact me if something happens.
4 - no, I will not hold your beer
5 - no, you may not post a video to YouTube (see #3 above)

stay safe.

Marco

This is why there are inexpensive (relative term) plastic firearms.
I use a holster similar to one of this sites sponsor to carry a G20 w/reload, while enjoying beach activities, unless OC is legal than I just OC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
On a more serious note -

Pelican cases (but they can be difficult to purge out air so you need to account for them floating)

or

LokSaks http://www.loksak.com/pdf/LOKSAKcatalog2013_FinalLR.pdf (look at the Dipper or L'il Dipper that come with opaque outer covers)

Use them with a lanyard around your neck or a couple of loops of paracord to make a cross-body sling.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is why there are inexpensive (relative term) plastic firearms.
I use a holster similar to one of this sites sponsor to carry a G20 w/reload, while enjoying beach activities, unless OC is legal than I just OC.

+1

There's always a solution joe and there will always be someone to argue about your solution.the sand issue is just one of the reasons I've been gravitating toward Glocks. My G20 shoots. Doesn't much matter what you do to it, it feeds and shoots.

Other solutions, I have a 22mag NAM I vacume sealed I carry in my kayak. Flare guns are nice. I have several including a 25mm that I heard you could make a 22lr or mag adapter for easily. I don't have one of course.
Coolers, as skid pointed out, pelican boxes, travel mugs....the world is a stage Joe.

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

Thanks, all. This recent incident I mentioned may become a popular strategy to take folks out in mass. The nudist link Skid provided repeatedly talked about how was anyone evil going to conceal his gun nude (or in a skimpy bathing suit) to even start a massacre at a nudist camp? The fact is nudist camps and/or beaches and swimming pools have boundaries, not usually totally fenced, if at all, and an evil one can approach and cross any open property boundary and attack, or even shoot easily through a fence at the targets inside. In the Tunisia case, the man hid his rifle inside a folded beach umbrella(!), and there it was. I think this really deserves serious thought, that I had not regarded before now. And, a concealable pistol ain't no match for a rifle.

solus

Thanks, all. This recent incident I mentioned may become a popular strategy to take folks out in mass. The nudist link Skid provided repeatedly talked about how was anyone evil going to conceal his gun nude (or in a skimpy bathing suit) to even start a massacre at a nudist camp? The fact is nudist camps and/or beaches and swimming pools have boundaries, not usually totally fenced, if at all, and an evil one can approach and cross any open property boundary and attack, or even shoot easily through a fence at the targets inside. In the Tunisia case, the man hid his rifle inside a folded beach umbrella(!), and there it was. I think this really deserves serious thought, that I had not regarded before now. And, a concealable pistol ain't no match for a rifle.

one concept OVJ, et al., to remember, this recent tragedy occurred in a locale where SD handgun type firearms are not available to citizens and those who died were overseas tourists so their ability to transport this type of SD firearm is severely limited.

semi/auto rifles are or were in great supply in the murky underground in the middle east and used to go for about $100 (olde US bills only thank you!)

remember, 'normally' the cowards do not use sniper tactics on these kind of attacks since they wish to personally watch those shot die in front of them as well as the number of killed is extremely limited as the element of surprise is lost after the first or second shot.

i personally know the small six pack type ice chest i carry to NC's Atlantic Beach beach area, etc., only contains two bottles of gator aide!! (i have read you can get your finger into the trigger area of a firearm and it will shoot quite nicely through sandwich sized ziplocks, so i have read)

further thought...and you are visiting the beaches in CA or NY or NJ or....where firearm carry is verboden!

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't go to the beach, but a fanny pack and a 1911 with mil spec ammo will work fine. Mil spec ammo is sealed at the primer and crimp, and 1911's WILL fire wet. My choice for the 1911 over a poly gun is that it breaks down completely to every single part. I fell in a creek with mine, and it still functioned, and drying was simple with the gun completely broken to each part. Fanny pack would keep debri out of the gun. Yes you can fire it with sand, just like a glock, but plan on damaging the barrel with either. Silica(sand) will scrape the lands and grooves of the barrel, resulting in poor accuracy, leading, and loss of velocity after the damage. But the Glock fanatics won't tell you this when they make their claims.

Silica is much harder than steel, and has sharp edges, that is why it it used for blasting steel surfaces.

WalkingWolf

one concept OVJ, et al., to remember, this recent tragedy occurred in a locale where SD handgun type firearms are not available to citizens and those who died were overseas tourists so their ability to transport this type of SD firearm is severely limited.

semi/auto rifles are or were in great supply in the murky underground in the middle east and used to go for about $100 (olde US bills only thank you!)

remember, 'normally' the cowards do not use sniper tactics on these kind of attacks since they wish to personally watch those shot die in front of them as well as the number of killed is extremely limited as the element of surprise is lost after the first or second shot.

i personally know the small six pack type ice chest i carry to NC's Atlantic Beach beach area, etc., only contains two bottles of gator aide!! (i have read you can get your finger into the trigger area of a firearm and it will shoot quite nicely through sandwich sized ziplocks, so i have read)

further thought...and you are visiting the beaches in CA or NY or NJ or....where firearm carry is verboden!

ipse

But not on NC beaches...:banana:

HPmatt

I thought walnut shells were used to clean turbine impellers - definitely not harder than steel alloy.

From wiki:
Brinell hardness numbers
Softwood (e.g., pine)1.6 HBS 10/100
Hardwood2.6–7.0 HBS 1.6 10/100
Lead5.0 HB (pure lead; alloyed lead typically can range from 5.0 HB to values in excess of 22.0 HB)
Pure Aluminium15 HB
Copper35 HB
Hardened AW-6060 Aluminium75 HB
Mild steel120 HB
18–8 (304) stainless steel annealed200 HB[4]
Glass1550 HB
Hardened tool steel600–900 HB (HBW 10/3000)
Rhenium diboride4600 HB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maverick9

Someone should make a bag that fits the common handguns to conform to their shape, such that the trigger is wrapped, but the front part is able to be punched out. That way you'd have a wrapped firearm, which would only get exposed to water or moisture when the first shot was fired. You'd put it on then use a hair drier to make the stuff shrink to fit exactly.

You can get devices which suck out the air and anneal the plastic for storing stuff in the fridge/freezer. Should work with a firearm.

Problem with putting it in coolers and fanny packs is quick access. With a total shrink wrap you could put it anywhere, even in a deep cover pouch which could hid under your suit. Of course beware trying to swim with the added weight.

The vulnerability would be in keeping kids away from it, and what to do when you get in the water.

I'd also wonder about having something bullet resistant that you could carry (like a ballistic briefcase), providing some cover. Of course going to that extent you might have been careless in your beach selection process.

WalkingWolf

We revived boat motors from sunk boats, we actually soaked them in fresh water, lifted them out, blew out the excess water, cleaned the plugs, then started them. Wiring eventually had to be replaced though, salt does terrible things to wiring. Most guns will not be hurt by water, even steel guns, as long as they are not left to sit for long periods of time. Some guns like the glock needs a special FP cup to reduce the chance of a light strike due to hydraulics. 1911's do not have that problem as they do not have spring cups. As long as debri is kept clear of the barrel I see no reason for not OCing on the beach.

wrearick

Someone should make a bag that fits the common handguns to conform to their shape, such that the trigger is wrapped, but the front part is able to be punched out. That way you'd have a wrapped firearm, which would only get exposed to water or moisture when the first shot was fired. You'd put it on then use a hair drier to make the stuff shrink to fit exactly.

You can get devices which suck out the air and anneal the plastic for storing stuff in the fridge/freezer. Should work with a firearm.

Problem with putting it in coolers and fanny packs is quick access. With a total shrink wrap you could put it anywhere, even in a deep cover pouch which could hid under your suit. Of course beware trying to swim with the added weight.

The vulnerability would be in keeping kids away from it, and what to do when you get in the water.

I'd also wonder about having something bullet resistant that you could carry (like a ballistic briefcase), providing some cover. Of course going to that extent you might have been careless in your beach selection process.

Might work for a revolver but unless you removed the whole wrapper, you are going to have an issue with the slide cycling and the spent shell ejecting properly. JMHO.

Once my wife decided she would predominately carry in her purse we assigned the automatic to the nightstand and got a revolver for the pocket in the purse for the same sort of reasons.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hope you got a shrouded/hammerless model. To many stories of the hammer catching on stuff going back or coming forward.

stay safe.

Dave_pro2a

I haven't checked the statistics, but....

OMG you're more likely to be struck by lighting while simultaneously being bitten by a shark, than killed by ISIS terrorists while at the beach.

solus

uh hiding it under my suit might just be a tad noticeable...granted it might not be the largest of the bulges, but still noticeable!! :eek:

maverick, if your firearm's muzzle velocity can't penetrate a zipped lock plastic sandwich bag, you might wish to consider changing ammo, firearms, or combination therein!! if you shrink wrap the firearm you would have to puncture the shrink wrap to pull the trigger. sandwich bag would stay floppy and you finger could easily pull the trigger w/o unzipping the bag!!

ipse

Old Virginia Joe

OMG you're more likely to be struck by lighting while simultaneously being bitten by a shark, than killed by ISIS terrorists while at the beach.

Those statistics were from BEFORE the new world order we are living in TODAY. Don't you see things are changing for the worst, and there seems to be no stopping it in Amerika. Keep on hiding your head in the sand . . . . . . . .

Dave_pro2a

Those statistics were from BEFORE the new world order we are living in TODAY. Don't you see things are changing for the worst, and there seems to be no stopping it in Amerika. Keep on hiding your head in the sand . . . . . . . .

And we just HAD to pass the "Patriot" Act, or we'd all die.

B

S

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

We don't carry because we expect trouble. In most cases, wouldn't go there if we did.

The old expression is still true:
Better to have it and not need it,
Than to need it and not have it.

Count the grains of sand under your beach blanket. 2 or 3 of them represent terrorists........which ones? Active or sleepers?

Last edited: