• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry/defense on a beach?

Dave_pro2a

We don't carry because we expect trouble. In most cases, wouldn't go there if we did.

The old expression is still true:
Better to have it and not need it,
Than to need it and not have it.

Count the grains of sand under your beach blanket. 2 or 3 of them represent terrorists........which ones? Active or sleepers?

I would <3 to see some stats on "preppers and obesity."

Being able to run a 6 to 10 minute mile (depending on age) is way more important to being 'prepared.' http://www.livestrong.com/article/533654-how-fast-should-you-run-a-mile/

Until a prepper can run, do push ups, pull ups, bench close to body weight, do planks for 5 minutes, etc, they should worry more about a heart attack than 2 or 3 grains of sand under their beach blanket. Based on your own made up statistics, you agree with me in regards to how likely a person will end up in a terrorist beach shoot out.

Obesity on the other hand, it's gonna kill a whole lotta preppers.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Being able to run a 6 to 10 minute mile (depending on age) is way more important to being 'prepared.' http://www.livestrong.com/article/533654-how-fast-should-you-run-a-mile/

Until a prepper can run, do push ups, pull ups, bench close to body weight, do planks for 5 minutes, etc, they should worry more about a heart attack than 2 or 3 grains of sand under their beach blanket. Based on your own made up statistics, you agree with me in regards to how likely a person will end up in a terrorist beach shoot out.

Obesity on the other hand, it's gonna kill a whole lotta preppers.
Medical issues and/or physical prep have nothing to do (off topic) with the subject/query presented by the OP.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

What about "preppers" with conditions that rate as less than the ideal of perfect health?

When the VA got finished with me they said I was 295% service connected disabled. (Sadly, they do not pay for anything above 100%) That does not mean I should give up the notion of providing for my own defense. The way I do that may not be tacti-kewl but in force-on-force that does not play cops & robbers or 1-man killing patrols in Indian Country I manage to stay alive most of the time.

With some embellishment - beware of a fat old man with a cane and one gun - he probably knows how to use them.

stay safe.

solus

What about "preppers" with conditions that rate as less than the ideal of perfect health?

When the VA got finished with me they said I was 295% service connected disabled. (Sadly, they do not pay for anything above 100%) That does not mean I should give up the notion of providing for my own defense. The way I do that may not be tacti-kewl but in force-on-force that does not play cops & robbers or 1-man killing patrols in Indian Country I manage to stay alive most of the time.

With some embellishment - beware of a fat old man with a cane and one gun - he probably knows how to use them.

stay safe.

especially the cane...

ipse

Dave_pro2a

Medical issues and/or physical prep have nothing to do (off topic) with the subject/query presented by the OP.

Advocating for appropriate and proportional individual risk assessment is on topic.

Trying to figure out how to conceal a .357 while wearing a speedo because some Islamic terrorist shot up a beach on the other side of the world is paranoid nuttery IMHO. It's crazy prepper talk, because the actual threat, on a realistic scale, is_not_real.

Personal observation: a lot of gun loving people will forgo any form of exercise, yet think mere possession of a gun is going to be what 'saves their life.'

They are way more likely to die from a heart attack than in a terrorist attack. Yet instead of figuring out how to move from a 40+ BMI to a 20 ish BMI, they worry about which gun the Seals use on the beach, because they are taking their kids there next weekend and want to be uber prepared.

All imho ;)

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Aw, Dude

When real world scenarios pop up as it did on the Mediterranean, we wonder "WHAT IF?". I do carry on the beach on my visits there. I generally do not plan on going in the water on such occasions. The beach I visit most often is in a state that does not recognize Open Carry as an option. I have not had to deal with terrorists. There was a unleashed Doberman Pincher who was a split second away from testing a .38 Special hollow point a few years ago. His owners never knew how close I was to shooting him. My wolfhound had gone from affable and friendly to protective mode. That, too, would have been ugly. Neither scenario would have been desirable. We wonder "WHAT IF" because things do happen.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What an interesting discussion :eek:

Uh....Dave there are several reasons we discuss guns here as opposed to heart failure. One being many of us are old farts but the biggestis....this is a gun related site. If that isn't what your interested in, look around. There are even book throwing groups. ...even boomerang fish throwers.

wrearick

There have been numerous incidents on the boardwalk or Atlantic ave in Virginia Beach, google it. Also, even if you just want to walk the beach or boardwalk you have to park somewhere and walk to the beach. I carry when we go down to the ocean front.....period.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There have been numerous incidents on the boardwalk or Atlantic ave in Virginia Beach, google it. Also, even if you just want to walk the beach or boardwalk you have to park somewhere and walk to the beach. I carry when we go down to the ocean front.....period.

Been many years since I was there except for a few hours during Isabel. It used to be a safe place but a friend is a cop there he
Says when the sun goes down you'd better be armed on the boardwalk.
This to me is a much more realistic concern than a terrorist attack.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been many years since I was there except for a few hours during Isabel. It used to be a safe place but a friend is a cop there he
Says when the sun goes down you'd better be armed on the boardwalk.
This to me is a much more realistic concern than a terrorist attack.
Indeed it was a safer time, a better time. Now, not so much.

Circa 1964 - Under the Boardwalk. The Drifters > Beach Boys.
http://secondhandsongs.com/performance/179645

altajava

I stopped going to va beach when the police chopper started crusing Atantic Ave. in the mid 90s. It did not give the impression of a place I wanted to be, or should be. I have been back only a handful of times since and stayed on Shore Dr. and stayed east of Lynhaven. Damn shame too, used to be a great family vacation down there.

Dave_pro2a

Lose argument about issue 'A,' pretend you were really arguing issue 'B'.

Hearing the news today of 39 killed on a beach resort in Tunisia, I have to ask, how can we reasonably defend ourselves on a beach against a gunman? Either OC or CC, how it that possible, and if not, are we agreeing that no one on here who says they ALWAYS carry, never go swimming on a beach? What's the plan on a beach? I'm sure no one just leaves their weapon "hidden" in a towel on the beach. Who needs to carry on a beach? Advise please . . . . .

Carrying a gun because you are walking alone at night in a dark area, in a bad part of town is totally different than trying to pick the best gun to carry in case of a potential ISIS attack on a beach in Virgina. As the OP stated, he's thinking "Oh Noze, terrorist." Not "Oh noze, dark board walk!"

meh.

wrearick

Lose argument about issue 'A,' pretend you were really arguing issue 'B'.

Carrying a gun because you are walking alone at night in a dark area, in a bad part of town is totally different than trying to pick the best gun to carry in case of a potential ISIS attack on a beach in Virgina. As the OP stated, he's thinking "Oh Noze, terrorist." Not "Oh noze, dark board walk!"

meh.

not sure where you get that I am flip flopping on what my post was about. (losing A and pretending B). My first comment had to do with problems one may encounter vacuum sealing an automatic. The boardwalk at Virginia Beach is lit and not dark at night but can still present threats. The lights and the police do little to deter the groups of teenagers that walk around looking for trouble to get into or spilling out of the night clubs down there drunk, high, or both. The misses and I like to walk the surf line towards sunset when it is not so hot and things quiet down. As a resident of Virginia Beach, my comment was meant to convey that at least at this beach you have more to worry about from misbehaving teens than from ISIS. The beach the OP was talking about (not identified) may be totally different. I try and only speak on things I know and have first hand experience with. YMMV. By the way the OPs original post doesn't mention ANYTHING about trying to pick the best gun to carry but rather how to carry responsibly while at the beach. Perhaps you have your threads confused.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a

--snipped-- By the way the OPs original post doesn't mention ANYTHING about trying to pick the best gun to carry but rather how to carry responsibly while at the beach. Perhaps you have your threads confused.
Confused? Doubt it, but maybe.

Some might say that perhaps he is deliberately distorting/misleading to achieve his goal of ridiculing others, which would be insulting me thinks.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Some more interesting info and interesting weapon pictures at the link

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/07/arms-of-tunisian-mass-shooter.html

In reading about the horrific attack by the Tunisian mass shooter, on the beach on Friday, the 26th of June, 2015, it appears that he used two weapons systems. An AKM rifle, commonly referred to as an AK47, almost certainly in 7.62x39 caliber, with several standard 30 round magazines, was used for most of the killing. The rifle is seen above. It has wooden furniture, the AKM muzzle brake, and a web sling. It is missing the standard cleaning rod from under the barrel.