Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VA cities topped the 2014 best cities to live list.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1

    VA cities topped the 2014 best cities to live list.

    Recently read an article about "What homeowners care about" and it was about a survey done on what Americans prefer while choosing a location for their new home. It preferences where interesting and in that survey the list of best cities to live were also given, in which 2 cities of VA has topped.
    My thoughts was that in the survey the priority of less crime rate was the priority of most of the people, and VA has open carry legalised, does these two factors helped the VA cities to rank top on the list?

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanMe View Post
    Recently read an article about "What homeowners care about" and it was about a survey done on what Americans prefer while choosing a location for their new home. It preferences where interesting and in that survey the list of best cities to live were also given, in which 2 cities of VA has topped.
    My thoughts was that in the survey the priority of less crime rate was the priority of most of the people, and VA has open carry legalised, does these two factors helped the VA cities to rank top on the list?
    Welcome to OCDO.

    Moved your post/thread to the Virginia sub-forum as Virginians will be the best equipped to tell you why we choose to live here.

    BTW - open carry hasn't been made legal here by any law (legalized). It is legal because there is no law/statute making it illegal - no CHP/permit needed either, again because the statutes are silent on the issue.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Ryan -

    Another welcome to OCDO.

    A recent Rasmussen poll http://www.teaparty.org/rasmussen-am...s-guns-103243/ does show "Americans prefer living in neighborhoods where they have the option of owning a gun than to live where people are prohibited from owning firearms".

    It could be that such neighborhoods generally have lower crime rates.1. Or it could be that neighborhoods where people are not allowed to own guns/have a harder time legally possessing guns have a higher crime rate. Who knows?

    If you let us know a bit more specifically where you are in Va we might be able to connect you with OCers near you.

    stay safe.

    2 - "'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.'"
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,150
    2 - "'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.'"
    FN 2; Beyond This Horizon, Robert Anson Heinlein, (as Anson MacDonald, serial, Astounding SF April May 1942. Fantasy 1948).
    Dueling and the carrying of arms is a socially accepted way of maintaining civility in public; a man can wear distinctive clothing to show his unwillingness to duel, but this results in an inferior social status.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_This_Horizon

    I am a sustaining contributor to The Wikimedia Foundation
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-29-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    FN 2; Beyond This Horizon, Robert Anson Heinlein, (as Anson MacDonald, serial, Astounding SF April May 1942. Fantasy 1948).https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_This_Horizon

    I am a sustaining contributor to The Wikimedia Foundation
    Thank you for sharing, bless your heart.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    518
    Just to save time, here is the top 10 list from the linked article:

    In 2014, the 10 best cities to live in were:
    1. Virginia Beach, VA
    2. Lexington, KY
    3. Chesapeake, VA
    4. Scottsdale, AZ
    5. Lincoln, NE
    6. Pittsburgh, PA
    7. Henderson, NV
    8. Lubbock, TX
    9. Raleigh, NC
    10. Charlotte, NC

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    I was so relieved to see that neither Richmond nor Henrico was on that list
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-30-2015 at 05:07 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Welcome to OCDO.

    Moved your post/thread to the Virginia sub-forum as Virginians will be the best equipped to tell you why we choose to live here.

    BTW - open carry hasn't been made legal here by any law (legalized). It is legal because there is no law/statute making it illegal - no CHP/permit needed either, again because the statutes are silent on the issue.
    ah, well, there is Article I, Section 13 of the Va. Constitution (a modern derivative of the language upon which the Second Amendment of the U.S. Const. was based, drafted by George Mason as Section 12 of the Virginia Declaration of Rights). And unlike the U.S. Constitution, there are still many in Virginia who regard their Constitution as something more than an historical artifact.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •