• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA cities topped the 2014 best cities to live list.

RyanMe

Recently read an article about "What homeowners care about" and it was about a survey done on what Americans prefer while choosing a location for their new home. It preferences where interesting and in that survey the list of best cities to live were also given, in which 2 cities of VA has topped.
My thoughts was that in the survey the priority of less crime rate was the priority of most of the people, and VA has open carry legalised, does these two factors helped the VA cities to rank top on the list?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Recently read an article about "What homeowners care about" and it was about a survey done on what Americans prefer while choosing a location for their new home. It preferences where interesting and in that survey the list of best cities to live were also given, in which 2 cities of VA has topped.
My thoughts was that in the survey the priority of less crime rate was the priority of most of the people, and VA has open carry legalised, does these two factors helped the VA cities to rank top on the list?

Welcome to OCDO.

Moved your post/thread to the Virginia sub-forum as Virginians will be the best equipped to tell you why we choose to live here.

BTW - open carry hasn't been made legal here by any law (legalized). It is legal because there is no law/statute making it illegal - no CHP/permit needed either, again because the statutes are silent on the issue.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ryan -

Another welcome to OCDO.

A recent Rasmussen poll http://www.teaparty.org/rasmussen-americans-prefer-living-neighborhoods-guns-103243/ does show "Americans prefer living in neighborhoods where they have the option of owning a gun than to live where people are prohibited from owning firearms".

It could be that such neighborhoods generally have lower crime rates.[SUP]1[/SUP]. Or it could be that neighborhoods where people are not allowed to own guns/have a harder time legally possessing guns have a higher crime rate. Who knows?

If you let us know a bit more specifically where you are in Va we might be able to connect you with OCers near you.

stay safe.

[SUP]2[/SUP] - "'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.'"

markand

Just to save time, here is the top 10 list from the linked article:

In 2014, the 10 best cities to live in were:
1. Virginia Beach, VA
2. Lexington, KY
3. Chesapeake, VA
4. Scottsdale, AZ
5. Lincoln, NE
6. Pittsburgh, PA
7. Henderson, NV
8. Lubbock, TX
9. Raleigh, NC
10. Charlotte, NC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was so relieved to see that neither Richmond nor Henrico was on that list :p

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to OCDO.

Moved your post/thread to the Virginia sub-forum as Virginians will be the best equipped to tell you why we choose to live here.

BTW - open carry hasn't been made legal here by any law (legalized). It is legal because there is no law/statute making it illegal - no CHP/permit needed either, again because the statutes are silent on the issue.

ah, well, there is Article I, Section 13 of the Va. Constitution (a modern derivative of the language upon which the Second Amendment of the U.S. Const. was based, drafted by George Mason as Section 12 of the Virginia Declaration of Rights). And unlike the U.S. Constitution, there are still many in Virginia who regard their Constitution as something more than an historical artifact.