• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just was told I can't carry in St. Louis city because of ordinances?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

This urban myth (read untruth) goes back years and has repeated been debunked.

Walmart does NOT own Lowes Home Improvement stores.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_owns_Lo...rt_ownes_Lowes

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/searcy-ar/TH2EDJ9OI4I0CB9DQ/p2
well thanks for setting me straight grape. I wont' say it again.
That rumor got started IMO because some of the Waltons are invested in Lowes, but not as majority stockholder bloc. No cite provided

The Waltons undoubterdy have some diversity in their investment portfolio - don't know of any other with "ownership" being part of the position.

WalkingWolf

I don't know about corporate, but the Lowes here in Sanford has always welcomed my guns, and I.

Last edited:

Billhamilton

printed out the statutes and brought them in today to the GM and the "Public safety officer" and he instantly started yelling at me I told him I'm not carrying at the moment so that's not an issue but I read him the statute about ordinances don't apply to those with valid ccw permits. And he just got angry so I asked him for the GM who came over and I explained that I have OC there many of times and never had an issue and last time I checked Lowes corporate opinion was the follow all state laws. And he agreed and said he wasn't aware the law had changed so I gave him all the paperwork and he apologized and said he will have to read up on it and check back with corporate. Which I already have a letter into. The public safety officer just was going livid and offered to have the police come to tell me I'm wrong. I told him sit the police have more important things to do than to come tell you your wrong. It all comes down to the corporate offices opinion and I will wait for my response. Home Depot welcomes my money.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"August 8, 2013: Lowe’s Home Improvement allows lawful firearm carry by the public."
http://www.2acheck.com/lowes-home-improvement-rating/

"Lowe’s abides by federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms, and will continue to do so. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers. However, we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and take no position regarding federal, state, and local laws governing the right to carry firearms."
See post #11:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88298-Home-Depot-Lowes-Policy

I doubt very seriously that there has been any change in this - we would have heard of it had there been; however, it never hurts to confirm.

Billhamilton

Hello,
My name is Bill Hamilton and I live in St Louis Missouri. I have been a frequent loyal customer of Lowes for over ten years. Although I recently had an altercation at your store located on Loughborough in St. Louis City. This store is not located in the safest area and being a citizen of the city I have my concealed firearm permit. The law in Missouri gives any valid permit holder to choose whether to conceal or to open carry their firearm. I am a little overweight so it is more comfortable to carry on my hip. I am by no means carrying some huge scary gun just to alarm people as I know those types exist. I have been open carrying in this store for over a year over fifty times at least. Although yesterday the stores public safety officer who in no way has any identification that he even works for Lowes approached me and told me I had to leave the store. I had just spent 45 minutes getting supplies to build a fence in my backyard. He was quite loud and spouted off about there being a city ordinance which did not allow open carry, which I kindly explained to him that although there is an ordinance the laws changed over a year ago and state that they don't apply to anyone with a valid firearms permit. He told me he was an ex police officer and I was wrong. I naturally complied and left after he embarrassed me in front of my wife and other customers and I told him I will be contacting the St. Louis police and will bring him the updated statutes of the current law. So yesterday I returned with the statutes in hand so he can be educated on the new laws. I also spoke with the GM Kyle Ayo. Kyle told me he wasn't aware that the law had changed and apologized and said he will read and review the statutes I provided. He was a gentleman and very professional unlike the public safety officer who was literally red in the face from yelling at me and refused to even look at the statutes I brought. I was under the impression that Lowes although not having an opinion on the matter followed all local and State Laws. And since there are no signs posted at any entrance that law abiding citizens would be able to carry lawfully in your stores. If you could clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it. I am a firm believer in voting with my wallet and I truly prefer Lowes over Home Depot in almost ever aspect. But Home Depot has a clear policy that allows law abiding permit holding customers to carry in their stores. I don't want to give them my business but if I can't protect myself, my family, or my State rights I will have to shop elsewhere. I also respect personal (business) property rights and will absolutely respect your decision if it is Corporate Lowes policy against it I just will be forced to no longer shop with your business.
Respectfully,

Bill Hamilton

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Not too shabby, Bill. Thank you for insisting on the reeducation of their loud-mouthed, error-ridden employee. I'd label him an ex-cop, too, but I don't want to sound redundant.

Billhamilton

Good Morning Bill,

Thank you for giving Lowe’s the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores. Lowe's abides by federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms, and will continue to do so. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers. However, we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and take no position regarding federal, state, and local laws governing the right to carry firearms.

We appreciate your business! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.
GENERIC RESPONSE LETTER IF IVE EVER READ ONE. BUT IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THEY ARE SAYING IF THE STATE ALLOWS IT, THEY ALLOW IT. I WILL FOLLOW UP WITH THE GM
Thank you,

Ruth S.
Lowe's Customer Care

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good Morning Bill,

Thank you for giving Lowe’s the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores. Lowe's abides by federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms, and will continue to do so. Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers. However, we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and take no position regarding federal, state, and local laws governing the right to carry firearms.

We appreciate your business! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.
GENERIC RESPONSE LETTER IF IVE EVER READ ONE. BUT IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THEY ARE SAYING IF THE STATE ALLOWS IT, THEY ALLOW IT. I WILL FOLLOW UP WITH THE GM
Thank you,

Ruth S.
Lowe's Customer Care
Reaffirms long standing and consistent corporate position. Read the bolded words - if you don't break any laws, Lowes will not interfere with your being a customer. Couldn't be better IMO.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
printed out the statutes and brought them in today to the GM and the "Public safety officer" and he instantly started yelling at me I told him I'm not carrying at the moment so that's not an issue but I read him the statute about ordinances don't apply to those with valid ccw permits. And he just got angry so I asked him for the GM who came over and I explained that I have OC there many of times and never had an issue and last time I checked Lowes corporate opinion was the follow all state laws. And he agreed and said he wasn't aware the law had changed so I gave him all the paperwork and he apologized and said he will have to read up on it and check back with corporate. Which I already have a letter into. The public safety officer just was going livid and offered to have the police come to tell me I'm wrong. I told him sit the police have more important things to do than to come tell you your wrong. It all comes down to the corporate offices opinion and I will wait for my response. Home Depot welcomes my money.

Lowe's corporate opinion is well known and easily found in teh interwebz and now, with your recently received response, we have yet another exemplar of their position.

Sounds like maybe you weren't fully confident in your position. I would have told security dude former LEO guy he was welcome to call the cops and I would happily wait. Then when the cops show up it was the security guy and Lowe's that wasted the cops' time, not you. And then the GM would have known directly from the cops that you are legal, so would Mr. Grumpy Pants "I used to be the law" jerk, and you would have had the momentary joy of seeing security dude finding out from his vaunted LEO that he is wrong wrong wrong AND if your situational awareness was sufficient, could have seen the exact moment when the GM realized that Mr Grumpy Pants security guy was wrong wrong wrong and was a total jerk to a customer while being wrong and further now caused a scene in the store with LEO and a loyal customer.

That would have been the perfect opportunity to ask what kind of preferred discount you were getting on that shiny new appliance or pricey power tool you or the wife have been eying.

Reaffirms long standing and consistent corporate position. Read the bolded words - if you don't break any laws, Lowes will not interfere with your being a customer. Couldn't be better IMO.
Totally agree, Grapeshot.

HPmatt

Both Walmart and Lowe's are 2 separate public companies. "Lowe's has more than 1,840 home improvement and hardware stores and 265,000 employees. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C."

I know one of the guys that invests the Waltons $$ and don't believe they invest in Lowe's common stock. Since they own so much of Walmart stock, with the dividends they earn each year, they look for a higher % return - like helping start Guitar Center, Restoration Hardware, Jet Blue and take Hilton Hotels private - huge size deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk