• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just was told I can't carry in St. Louis city because of ordinances?

Billhamilton

I was in lowes on loughborough which doesn't have no guns signs posted and a gentleman approached me and said it was illegal to carry in that municipalitie. I was under the impression that all the ordinances that were no gos before after open carry passed those ordinances didn't apply to those with cvs permits. Am I wrong?

kcgunfan

He is wrong you are right. Why do you expect a stranger on the street to give you correct legal advice?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Billhamilton

he was Lowes official security guard and I explained that I believe he was wrong but I'd respect it and leave cuz I'm not a ****. He also claimed he was an ex cop so he knew. I've already called into the south county police and left a message so once I get the correct answer I will make a trip up there to inform him he was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcgunfan

And likely the only worse place to get information on laws is from the police. Always remember that the police are bit required to tell you the truth.

I don't care if he's the retired Chief of Police, his information is our of date and incorrect. If he asked you to leave you should, which should have them been followed by a call to the store manager and work your way up from there.

kcgunfan

The cite your are looking for is RsMO 21.750.3(2)(a)

Billhamilton

Thanks, he just asked if I would put it in the car he wasn't a dick about it. But he is uninformed. I'll print out the new statute and bring it to him (while concealing) thanks again

Redbaron007

Once again, an uneducated rental cop providing expert legal advice.

My guess is, even after showing him the statute, he will not agree with you. Good luck!

Fallschirjmäger

[H]e was Lowes official security guard and I explained that I believe he was wrong but I'd respect it and leave cuz I'm not a ****. He also claimed he was an ex cop so he knew.
See, if he'd just said that he was a trained security guard I might have believed him, but as soon as someone claims or admits to being a cop all belief in his honesty, veracity and truthfulness just goes right out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
he was Lowes official security guard and I explained that I believe he was wrong but I'd respect it and leave cuz I'm not a ****. He also claimed he was an ex cop so he knew. I've already called into the south county police and left a message so once I get the correct answer I will make a trip up there to inform him he was wrong.
Do not ask police for legal advice or cites to statutes.

Best way to handle things like this is to move up the store food chain. First to the store manager, then to the district manage if necessary - doubt it will be though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do not ask police for legal advice or cites to statutes.

Best way to handle things like this is to move up the store food chain. First to the store manager, then to the district manage if necessary - doubt it will be though.

Continuing.......

Yes, Lowes is private property; however, for a long time now their corporate policy has been to honor the laws of the state in which each store is located.

Missouri Revised Statutes
"21.750. 1. The general assembly hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section."

"(2) In any jurisdiction in which the open carrying of firearms is prohibited by ordinance, the open carrying of firearms shall not be prohibited in accordance with the following:

Read the entire statute - it is short enough and has a few conditions i.e. permit
http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/02100007501.html

Last edited:

Ezek

lowes, since it is owned by wally world corporate in reality, should do the same as wally world and follow local and state laws, the SG was wrong, if you have a CCW you can open carry pretty much everywhere.. with some minor limitations. such as government buildings for example, or schools.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
lowes, since it is owned by wally world corporate in reality, should do the same as wally world and follow local and state laws, the SG was wrong, if you have a CCW you can open carry pretty much everywhere.. with some minor limitations. such as government buildings for example, or schools.
Please cite the law limiting OC in government buildings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

This urban myth (read untruth) goes back years and has repeated been debunked.

Walmart does NOT own Lowes Home Improvement stores.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_owns_L...ores_people_tell_me_that_Wal-mart_ownes_Lowes

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/searcy-ar/TH2EDJ9OI4I0CB9DQ/p2

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

See that right there? The simple fact that he is an EX leo should verify his veracity. Dong ma?

Superlite27

As soon as I hear, "I used to be.....", I immediately ask "Why do you need to appeal to authority?".

I was once in Cabela's and overheard an "expert" employee explain to an inexperienced new buyer looking for a home defense gun "Check out this pistol grip shotgun. You don't even have to aim. Just point it in the general direction, and you'll hit 'em."

When I asked him if there was something special about that particular shotgun that caused the pattern to open up in only a few feet, because the biggest room in my house is a fairly large 18 feet and I doubt either me or a burglar are going to kindly back away from each other until both our backs are against the wall. Add in 2 feet for the length of the shotgun, and that wad will have to violently explode an inch from the muzzle to open up far enough to "hit 'em without aiming".

The clerk just looked at me and said, "I've been working here for 15 years. I'd say I'd know a bit more about firearms than you."

I just turned to the potential buyer and said, "He's willing to bet blind without any clue about my credentials that he knows more about home defense, and he's using your safety for currency. He sounds more like a gambling salesman than an expert. Seek professional advice for your first gun purchase."

I then walked away.

Some folks are so enamored of their own knowledge, they don't need to compare it to anyone else's to see if there's more to learn.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, he just asked if I would put it in the car...

The immediate question to ask, even though not to push your "right" to stay, is: "Oh, does that mean Lowe's is responsible for any valuables left in my car?" They need to hear that question as many times as possible.

Last edited: