• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open carry in Wisconsin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On a completely off topic topic. He asked about OC in Wisconsin and then people who don't live in Wisconsin and/or don't know Wisconsin laws fill up the topic.

Truly understand your points, but please consider also these:

OCDO does not restrict users to only their home state when posting. They/we may travel to your area and often have friends and/or relatives living there. We are a large community transcending state lines. If we have muddied your waters, we apologize - that was not the intention.

Law abider

The topic was complete and full with my reference to the law and its proper source. After that, all is legalism and posturing.

LEOS never shed their uniforms. You are a LEO as long as you carry your badge, in civilian clothes. My Chief buddy crosses over to MN in civilian clothes and if he carry's his badge he can carry his gun. In fact he went to the VA in Minneapolis in uniform to see the doc and he was able to enter the VA with his gun. However we CCLers, may be not we all, complained to the legislature (was it WI Carry also?) that we don't want to be second class citizens and LEOS first class out of their uniforms. But then there is a bill that would allow us to carry on school grounds, what happened to it?

pkbites

LEOS never shed their uniforms. You are a LEO as long as you carry your badge, in civilian clothes. My Chief buddy crosses over to MN in civilian clothes and if he carry's his badge he can carry his gun. In fact he went to the VA in Minneapolis in uniform to see the doc and he was able to enter the VA with his gun. However we CCLers, may be not we all, complained to the legislature (was it WI Carry also?) that we don't want to be second class citizens and LEOS first class out of their uniforms. But then there is a bill that would allow us to carry on school grounds, what happened to it?

Sorry to nitpick but it's not the badge a LEO needs to carry, it's the agency ID card.

I almost never carry my badge. And when I do I keep it somewhere besides my money wallet. I'd hate to be buying liquor and have someone see a badge in my wallet. They might get the wrong idea! :eek:

pkbites

But then there is a bill that would allow us to carry on school grounds, what happened to it?

I thought when they were hammering out the CCW bill they were going to allow for people to carry in their vehicles on school grounds like when they were picking up their kids. What Bozo pol got that taken out?

Wstar425

Had Friday off, did three dog walks over the weekend on the Bearskin and around the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe north of Tomahawk while OC. Had three seperate family units approach me wishing to pet dog, or ask questions about her. One Mother asked if I was LE, and when told no, she asked "are you sure?". I stated I was positive I was in no way any kind of law enforcement, and that was the end of it. No direct mention of a firearm was made all weekend.

Friday and Saturday evenings there were between 100 and 200 people standing in line outside for ice cream. I was probably seen by 300 or better people over the three days, all while OC. I would guess maybe half or less noticed. I had one family of four walk off the bridge immediately after I passed them, but they never said anything, it may very well be they were just ready to leave anyway.

The three families stood and talked, pet the dog for probably 15 minutes each. All the time there was a child or two, within 3 feet of me, pretty much eye level with my handgun. I've noticed children and people sitting down tend to notice more easily. All in all an enjoyable weekend. I walked 15-20 miles, dog probably walked/ran 3 times that. No panic, screaming, chaos, or 911 calls that bothered to show up.

Did not go to the organized fireworks as I can not stand huge crowds of people, but we can see plenty of private fireworks all around the lake from the dock, if you can stand to be eaten by the mosquitos. Went fishing Friday night, caught a few nice crappies. All in all a great three day weekend!

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I carried several places around Hayward this weekend the only comment I received was at a garage sale I stopped at the owner commented that it was nice to see another open carrier.

He had a sub compact semi auto on his hip.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I carried several places around Hayward this weekend the only comment I received was at a garage sale I stopped at the owner commented that it was nice to see another open carrier.

He had a sub compact semi auto on his hip.
That's an encounter oif the best kind, a golden moment.

Prolly was the safest garage/yard sale in the state.

Wstar425

Kids are fun! My wife was a Spanish and French teacher early in her career. We decided to use some non English words for commands, but German is really unpronounceable mostly, for a neophyte like me.

Anyway, when she was talking about a release command from STAY I blurted out Sig Sauer. Thinking she would put the kabosh on that, but she didn't. So now, when you are 100 feet away you have to yell out Sig Sauer when you want her to come. Most people don't know what that is, just think it must be German! Release from a stay at side is Vetta, pronounced Betta, for go in Spanish, I think. Fortunately, I don't have to know what they mean in the original language, only our dog language.

So, if I get a bunch of kids I'm starting to do distraction exercises. I put a Charlie Bear on my shoe, make her sit 6-8 feet away, and tell the kids to tell her to get it. Of course they shout out go, ok, you can have it, some foreign words if they know some. It's quite comical sometimes! No one has said the magic word yet, they usually ask what it is, but I say I can't repeat it. Top Secret!!!

When I release her from stay I go though various similar sounding words such as Sydney, cimmaron, Cheyenne, Sigourney Weaver, Sigmund Freud, and such. Anything starting with S or Sig. She rarely breaks on anything, but will sometimes move on the Sig words.

My next step is to tell someone the word and see if she will break on their command, or only mine, which is what I want. I don't let anyone feed her, or allow her to run up to people. They can pet her, but they have to ask, and come to her. She is pretty indifferent to people, so that helps. No idea if that is just the way she is, or if it is connected to the training. It's actually lots of fun, she is getting way more spoiled treatment
than our kids ever did.

The dog seems to be a conversation starter. Most people are petting the dog for a while before they notice the firearm. When I walk, it appears that the majority are looking at the dog instead of me. About the only thing that gets me really unglued is if an adult walks up and starts petting without asking. Kids I cut a little slack with, but mention it would be a good idea to ask since you never know if a dog is friendly, or in training. People seem to like German Shepherds, but be just a little intimidated by them, if they've never been around one. This one doesn't have a vicious bone in her body, although she might lick you to death.

I do get asked about being LE fairly regularly. I'm 57, have a beard, but clean cut and neatly groomed usually. I will put on clean clothes before a walk, if I'm going armed. I don't think I look anything like a police officer. I suppose a short leashed GSD and a man with a gun might make people jump to that conclusion. It has not been a problem, no one has left because of it, that I am aware of. People just don't seemed to be bothered by it up here. It's really a non event, I'd say maybe 5 percent of my encounters brings up any mention of a firearm.

Everybody needs a good dog!!! Haha

Firearms Iinstuctor

Kids are fun! My wife was a Spanish and French teacher early in her career. We decided to use some non English words for commands, but German is really unpronounceable mostly, for a neophyte like me.

I trained a Shepard as a personal protection dog, the dog was taught commands in Pennsylvania Dutch that my wife speaks fluently.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Ever see a dog smile on command?

Yes my mother trained one of our labs to cry on command, sneeze on command, drop dead on command, and I guess you could say smile also at least it would curl its upper lip and other tricks. All for pancakes that dog love pancakes. plus he only had tree legs

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes my mother trained one of our labs to cry on command, sneeze on command, drop dead on command, and I guess you could say smile also at least it would curl its upper lip and other tricks.
All for pancakes that dog love pancakes. plus he only had tree (sic) legs

Smart dog & designed well for either a fire hydrant or three. :D

Last edited:

poweraid

I have to ask - it doesn't pertain to me as I have ccl . but as far as open carry without a ccl , what are the do's and dont's upon being in a vehicle ?

poweraid

simply asking - no ccl - open carry in a vehicle - can one have it on their side ? or is that considered concealed ?

poweraid

perfect - what must one do then if open carrying and entering a vehicle ? such as where to place the pistol then ?

Wstar425

I open carry on my right hip. I drive a couple of different vehicles, but they all have a pronounced console between bucket seats. When seated, my firearm is for all intents invisible to anyone, from anywhere. I believe that would be considered concealed, but I have a Wisconsin CCL. My weapon is fairly easily drawn when in my pickup, less so in the other two cars.

My "plan" if ever carjacked is to unbuckle seatbelt, draw firearm as my hand is right there, and come out shooting. I can certainly see why some other, better carry methods might be warranted for driving. Laying on the dash or loose on the passenger seat, to meet the open carry criteria is not a viable option, in my opinion, thus the CCL. I don't really want, nor can afford, to be a test case. Plus, I do conceal, at church, off site school functions, (Banquet at restaurant, for example) and a few ofhers.

I just travelled to Indiana and back last week, going through Illianoying both ways. There I can carry concealed on my WI license as long as I stay in the car. It's crazy if you travel much, there is a good chance of not being legal some way, some where.

To put it in a nutshell, getting the WI CCL solves some issues yet. It's fairly easy and cheap, and quick. The downside is it is not recognized by quite a few places, probably because with a Hunter Safety Course 25 years ago when one was 14, and with NO live fire, a CCL can be had. Without it you would be forced to OC everywhere, which I don't have a problem with, but some people do.

poweraid

just trying to get the lowdown on oc inside a vehicle - of course this is without a ccl - I hear/read too much of this or that - I want to be sure for those that ask or if I give out info .

I do have my ccl - no class needed but I still took one . I have a Utah permit also . southpaw here . I do oc and cc .

I was just trying to get info for one that does not have a ccl , and wants to open carry and what to do once getting in a vehicle .
thanks for the feedback