• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open carry in Wisconsin

pkbites

When did the perception that leos should be holier than thou originate? WOW! I mean you are just like me. But maybe being in the fish bowl...

:confused:

What I meant was, someone might see a badge in my wallet and think I was on official business or something. I wouldn't want someone to think I was buying booze and drinking on the job. How does that warrant your post?

Jimmy1791

I open carried into the Kwik Trip every other week, for 4 years, for diesel purchase. Nothing was said either way, but then people just don't pay attention to what's going on a round them, so don't know if anyone noticed? I know a couple of cashiers say me, and no one said anything. One LE on my way out and him coming in. No reaction, he SHOULD have seen it or needs to lose the badge!

Never went anywhere else in town, nor stood around on the corner. I don't get too worried about people being offended by a legal activity. It's a crazy world and I think MadTown might be the center of it!

Maybe cop did notice you had a gun, maybe cop didn't do anything about it, because he can't do anything about it. So your mad cop didn't do anything about it, but you would've been mad if he did do so
Etching about it. The doubleedgeswordisreal.com.

Wstar425

Maybe cop did notice you had a gun, maybe cop didn't do anything about it, because he can't do anything about it. So your mad cop didn't do anything about it, but you would've been mad if he did do so
Etching about it. The doubleedgeswordisreal.com.

I'm not mad about anything.

My point was that with a big old chunk of iron hanging off my side, it wouldn't/shouldn't take much observation to notice. Anyone NOT noticing it isn't paying much attention, especially passing by 4 feet away. I'd like to think police officers are more observant than most, but I don't expect them to see everything. I don't know if this particular one noticed or not, as he didn't do or say anything, or have any kind of reaction. As it should have been, since I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was trying to relay actually, that I was pretty sure he noticed, because to not notice would have been almost incompetent, although I do not really think he should "lose his badge" if he didn't. Having one "possible" interaction in the test zone, my experience has been ok, although the sample isn't large enough to have any real meaning.

Law abider

:confused:

What I meant was, someone might see a badge in my wallet and think I was on official business or something. I wouldn't want someone to think I was buying booze and drinking on the job. How does that warrant your post?

What I meant was that the perception is that leos don't drink. What does it matter? You could be going home from work, still in uniform and stop and buy liquor, unless dept policy states you have to be out of uniform.

Law abider

Law abider ask your police friends about doing stuff like that and see how they answer it.

I shall. I know Chief does drink a Corona here or there but out of uniform so far as I have seen. I once OCed into a sport's bar and met him for lunch, while he was in uniform. He was not drinking then, but that was on work time. I would also know that he would not buy liquor in uniform. He and I are both very religious, I know you know what I mean. But as for others I'll ask them.

Last edited:

Law abider

You're kidding, right?

No I was not kidding, which brings me back to my first point. LEOS are looked upon as holier than thou people who should not drink because they are empowered to catch DWI/OWI/DUI folks on the road. I don't have a problem you buying liquor, but it seems to make you uncomfortable buying liquor in uniform on the way home from work. Maybe you shouldn't drink if you feel that way. It should not make any difference. You are a LEO in and out of uniform.

Last edited:

pkbites

You live in North Bumfunk. Buying liquor in uniform or presenting the appearance of drinking/buying liquor in uniform wouldn't fly here in a large metro area.

For someone who has been on these boards long enough you should know how the perceptions of the general public can be wrong. Someone seeing a badge in my wallet while I was buying alcohol might have a bird even though nothing wrong was taking place.

Law abider

You live in North Bumfunk. Buying liquor in uniform or presenting the appearance of drinking/buying liquor in uniform wouldn't fly here in a large metro area.

For someone who has been on these boards long enough you should know how the perceptions of the general public can be wrong. Someone seeing a badge in my wallet while I was buying alcohol might have a bird even though nothing wrong was taking place.

Why is it that the board of supervisors or police commissioners frown upon you buying liquor while they are drinkers of liquor themselves? Isn't that a double standard? I mean for those of us who OC do you leave your gun at home and go buy liquor? I don't and I walk out without the brown bag. Why be ashamed?

Law abider

But then it would matter if you are over imbibing at home. In that case I would have a problem because you being a LEO it could affect your job the next day. In my personal case I am also a pastor and my Lord warns against any form of offense to others and Him. So knowing the scriptures I have no excuse to over imbibe. Everyone has that line in them.

Wstar425

Went thru Menomonee Falls this morning on my way to Sussex. Saw no OCers, me neither.

My neighbor flagged me down kinda laughing, said he was down at the bar, Twin Bay Resort , and some guy told him not to go to the Windmill Ice Cream Shoppe as the Undercover Cops were there with the drug dog. Asked some questions and determined that it was me. Not a cop and not a drug dog, tho almost every walk someone asks. I think it makes people "feel better" to think I must be LE? Set them straight immediately. I guess I made Facebook as well, but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

My question was why would you care unless you had drugs?

Apparently not very good at "undercover" either!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You know, none of this has anything to do with the OP's question. He isn't a LEO.

Agree. This thread has rolled off the table. It is not a thread to generalize about your open carry or discuss LEOs buying alcohol. It was intended only to get information for the OP.

If nothing further on topic ensues, we can always close this out.