• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open carry in Wisconsin

Wstar425

just trying to get the lowdown on oc inside a vehicle - of course this is without a ccl - I hear/read too much of this or that - I want to be sure for those that ask or if I give out info .

I do have my ccl - no class needed but I still took one . I have a Utah permit also . southpaw here . I do oc and cc .

I was just trying to get info for one that does not have a ccl , and wants to open carry and what to do once getting in a vehicle .
thanks for the feedback

You will want to investigate further ramifications if you become a WI resident. I don't know what the answer there is, but I believe you would need to get a WI CCL, and not count on your Utah permit. I could be wrong, on phone, research and linking difficult. If WI honors Utah, and I believe they do, you're good either way, as well as in a vehicle, as a non resident.

However, for OC you are good in WI whether a resident of not. No permit/lic even available for OC, no requirement to show CCL when OC, when traffic stopped, tho OC you would need to have it visible. For just walking around, OC is not RAS of a crime. Other than "maybe"downtown Madison or Milwaukee, I doubt you'll get flack from LE. I think that is pretty settled, but of course nothing is certain.

You Utah permit should cover you, but in a vehicle that might cause it to be CC due to the interior. About the only thing I will say for certain is that it is way more complicated than it needs to be. And should be.

You didn't really say if you were moving to WI, or just visiting or on an extended stay. Or maybe I missed it. It would be nice if the rules were the same for everyone, but I don't know how we realistically get there. I've found mistakes and old Intel on all of the carry sites. WI DOJ has a FAQ sheet that is pretty easy to read and understand, maybe look that up and give it a once over.

paul@paul-fisher.com

just trying to get the lowdown on oc inside a vehicle - of course this is without a ccl - I hear/read too much of this or that - I want to be sure for those that ask or if I give out info .

I do have my ccl - no class needed but I still took one . I have a Utah permit also . southpaw here . I do oc and cc .

I was just trying to get info for one that does not have a ccl , and wants to open carry and what to do once getting in a vehicle .
thanks for the feedback

Your profile says Wausau, WI.

If you are a WI resident (WI drivers license), your UT CCL is worthless here other than as proof of training to get a WI CCL.

Residents MUST have a WI CCL to conceal or to do other stuff that a WI CCL allows.

Wstar425

look on page 44 of DOJ FAQ for info on transporting while OC. Page number is differnt than the page of the link. I missed you were from Wausau. So assuming WI resident, Utah no good in WI as stated above.

Allso good to maybe read up on laws at schools. I have read this over with a fine tooth comb as my wife is a district administrator. No, she won't hire me as security for $1 a year. I've asked.

I've read that a couple of times and I still have some questions regarding OC in a tavern while NOT DRINKING. It doesn't answer every question one might have, but does a pretty good job.

I OC regularly at a supper club near us called Bootleggers. Owners have seen me and talked to me personally, never said anything about it. There is a bar, but in a separate room. I don't go in the bar except for bathroom. I don't drink at all, ever; so it's not an issue for me.

Just down the road is Billy Bob's Bar and Grill. Big bar in center with tables around 3 sides. Owners from Illinois. Has Bar in name, so difficult to argue not a bar. I've concealed in there, with a CCL, but I don't really see anywhere in the FAQ that says you can't OC in a Bar, only that you can with the owners permission. So, if you did and they didn't ask you to cover or leave, could that be considered permission?

Maybe stretching it? Sorry to kind of hijack your thread a bit. It's not my favorite spot, but close to our house so nice for a quick sandwich. Gets really crowded and maybe a little rowdy at times. Wisconsin rowdy, not Texas rowdy. Haha!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I've read that a couple of times and I still have some questions regarding OC in a tavern while NOT DRINKING. It doesn't answer every question one might have, but does a pretty good job.

I OC regularly at a supper club near us called Bootleggers. Owners have seen me and talked to me personally, never said anything about it. There is a bar, but in a separate room. I don't go in the bar except for bathroom. I don't drink at all, ever; so it's not an issue for me.

Just down the road is Billy Bob's Bar and Grill. Big bar in center with tables around 3 sides. Owners from Illinois. Has Bar in name, so difficult to argue not a bar. I've concealed in there, with a CCL, but I don't really see anywhere in the FAQ that says you can't OC in a Bar, only that you can with the owners permission. So, if you did and they didn't ask you to cover or leave, could that be considered permission?

Maybe stretching it? Sorry to kind of hijack your thread a bit. It's not my favorite spot, but close to our house so nice for a quick sandwich. Gets really crowded and maybe a little rowdy at times. Wisconsin rowdy, not Texas rowdy. Haha!

You can sit at the bar and drink a non-alcoholic beverage while open or conceal carrying with a CCL. http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document/statutes/941.237(3)(cx)

You can sit at a bar and drink an alcoholic beverage while oc'ing without a CCL as long as you have permission from the owner or manager and are there for a special event of limited duration. Wisconsin Statutes 941.237(3)(g)

Generally, a CCL just gives you additional places you can carry and if you can carry CC, you can carry OC. The only exceptions are the State Capitol building, which is CC only and any place that posts a sign or otherwise notifies you as to means of carry.

So..... I went to my local Charter office and it said 'no concealed carry' so I open carried.

Last edited:

Wstar425

You can sit at the bar and drink a non-alcoholic beverage while open or conceal carrying with a CCL. http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document/statutes/941.237(3)(cx)

You can sit at a bar and drink an alcoholic beverage while oc'ing without a CCL as long as you have permission from the owner or manager and are there for a special event of limited duration. Wisconsin Statutes 941.237(3)(g)

Thanks, that the way I read it, but wondered if I was jumping thru some hoops to get to that conclusion? I can for the most part read and understand the FAQ, whereas reading the actual wording of the law makes my head spin rather quickly.

I'm not interested in sitting at a bar for any reason whatsoever. However, almost every place up here is a bar, that isn't fast food. Some of them have great fish frys, or ones I'd like to try. I've kept the OC mostly to the "supper clubs", or the separate dining room, I have not had one issue.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Wstar425

They are gun friendly too

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-gun-at-wayside-inn.html

The Wayside Inn is a sports bar in Northern Wisconsin. It has been around as long as I can remember, and is in the neighborhood where I grew up, on Highway 63 a few miles North of Hayward. I had dinner there recently with relatives. They have a traditional fish fry on Friday (it was very good). While there, I noticed a new semi-automatic shotgun on the wall. I have often seen wall hangers elsewhere, but there are nearly always non-functioning items of art rather than modern firearms. I went back to determine what the state of the art Browning was all about.

MN2NMIXR

Ok... My head is spinning.

We're planning on moving to Eau Claire area, we're currently staying with a friend and are not officially WI residents yet. (I let my MN permit lapse :( ). Can non WI residents OC as well w/o an Unconstitutional "permit?"

If I'm OCing should I just place my handgun in the trunk before driving?

Wstar425

Ok... My head is spinning.

We're planning on moving to Eau Claire area, we're currently staying with a friend and are not officially WI residents yet. (I let my MN permit lapse :( ). Can non WI residents OC as well w/o an Unconstitutional "permit?"

If I'm OCing should I just place my handgun in the trunk before driving?

You need not be a resident of Wi to OC without a license. In Wisconsin it is a license, not a "permit", but either way you don't need one to open carry, as long as you are over 18, and not a felon.

You may drive with a loaded HANDGUN in your vehicle, but it must be visible from outside the vehicle. There is some argument that may include while it is moving, from those outside the vehicle. Not just merely visible while standing along side the vehicle. To me, that would mean on the dash or in some kind of holster attached high enough to be seen while driving. I think this is unsettled, based on one case before 2011.

Personally, I wouldn't have it loose on the dash or on the seat, but I think on the seat should be considered open carry. However, I'm not willing to try and prove that in a court. The CCL covers you as concealed in the vehicle. If you have issues with that (I understand) then you would need to take steps to make sure you meet the "visible" portion of the law, whatever that is.

You should be good if you place it in the trunk.

Last edited:

MN2NMIXR

You need not be a resident of Wi to OC without a license. In Wisconsin it is a license, not a "permit", but either way you don't need one to open carry, as long as you are over 18, and not a felon.

You may drive with a loaded HANDGUN in your vehicle, but it must be visible from outside the vehicle. There is some argument that may include while it is moving, from those outside the vehicle. Not just merely visible while standing along side the vehicle. To me, that would mean on the dash or in some kind of holster attached high enough to be seen while driving. I think this is unsettled, based on one case before 2011.

Personally, I wouldn't have it loose on the dash or on the seat, but I think on the seat should be considered open carry. However, I'm not willing to try and prove that in a court. The CCL covers you as concealed in the vehicle. If you have issues with that (I understand) then you would need to take steps to make sure you meet the "visible" portion of the law, whatever that is.

Thank you for the concise answer, Wstar425! Much appreciated!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Unless you have an immediate need of it.

MN2NMIXR

I don't feel comfortable having a loaded weapon wandering around freely in my vehicle so it can be "visible." That sounds unsafe IMO.

If i have an immediate need for it, the trunk clearly sucks. The laws concerning open carry and a vehicle are ... Cloudy at best.

Wstar425

I'm not really all that interested in getting into a pi$$ing into the wind competition. Everybody gets wet and you still need a shower when you're done.

Last edited:

Peter

Does anyone have an experience with OC in Town of Lake Mills? It seems like there will be a lot of "offended" Madisonites that commute every day, so I would like to know if the OC situation is better than in Madison.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Does anyone have an experience with OC in Town of Lake Mills? It seems like there will be a lot of "offended" Madisonites that commute every day, so I would like to know if the OC situation is better than in Madison.

I open carried into the Kwik Trip every other week, for 4 years, for diesel purchase. Nothing was said either way, but then people just don't pay attention to what's going on a round them, so don't know if anyone noticed? I know a couple of cashiers say me, and no one said anything. One LE on my way out and him coming in. No reaction, he SHOULD have seen it or needs to lose the badge!

Never went anywhere else in town, nor stood around on the corner. I don't get too worried about people being offended by a legal activity. It's a crazy world and I think MadTown might be the center of it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-- Nothing was said either way, but then people just don't pay attention to what's going on a round them, so don't know if anyone noticed? I know a couple of cashiers say me, and no one said anything. One LE on my way out and him coming in. No reaction, he SHOULD have seen it or needs to lose the badge!

Really?

Wstar425

It's a tough situation. He should have been paying attention and from our passing distance, should have seen I was armed. But, he shouldn't have said anything to me other than maybe hello, since I wasn't doing anything wrong. I don't know if he noticed, or if he did and just didn't say anything. Too small of a sample to make a determination on Lake Mills firearm philosophy by itself.

I'm a hard guy to please.......

No idea what your "Really?" comment is to mean. I need more than a one word clue apparently. I could read it a couple of different ways. I expect law enforcement to be more observant than the average citizen. That doesn't take much as the average citizen is pretty unobservant. I don't expect them to be perfect. I noticed he had a firearm, tho of course he also had on a uniform. To be totally informing, I walked by his car strong side while he was sitting, then met him coming in the door as I was coming out. I'll try and be more detailed in my posting in the future. Maybe "lose the badge" was a little too strongly worded.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Wstar425

--snipped-- Nothing was said either way, but then people just don't pay attention to what's going on a round them, so don't know if anyone noticed? I know a couple of cashiers say me, and no one said anything. One LE on my way out and him coming in. No reaction, he SHOULD have seen it or needs to lose the badge!

It's a tough situation. He should have been paying attention and from our passing distance, should have seen I was armed. But, he shouldn't have said anything to me other than maybe hello, since I wasn't doing anything wrong. I don't know if he noticed, or if he did and just didn't say anything. Too small of a sample to make a determination on Lake Mills firearm philosophy by itself.

I'm a hard guy to please.......

No idea what your "Really?" comment is to mean. I need more than a one word clue apparently. I could read it a couple of different ways. I expect law enforcement to be more observant than the average citizen. That doesn't take much as the average citizen is pretty unobservant. I don't expect them to be perfect. I noticed he had a firearm, tho of course he also had on a uniform. To be totally informing, I walked by his car strong side while he was sitting, then met him coming in the door as I was coming out. I'll try and be more detailed in my posting in the future. Maybe "lose the badge" was a little too strongly worded.
Yep that - lose the badge for what you acknowledge other people do. Also you presume he did not notice.

apjonas

Town Mice and City Mice

I open carried into the Kwik Trip every other week, for 4 years, for diesel purchase. Nothing was said either way, but then people just don't pay attention to what's going on a round them, so don't know if anyone noticed? I know a couple of cashiers say me, and no one said anything. One LE on my way out and him coming in. No reaction, he SHOULD have seen it or needs to lose the badge!

Never went anywhere else in town, nor stood around on the corner. I don't get too worried about people being offended by a legal activity. It's a crazy world and I think MadTown might be the center of it!

Isn't the Kwik Trip in the City of Lake Mills? Not that it would make much of difference.

Wstar425

Isn't the Kwik Trip in the City of Lake Mills? Not that it would make much of difference.

I believe that most of the city of Lake Mills is in the Town of Lake Mills, tho I am not a local resident.

I have not open carried directly in the city of Madison, but I have around the city in the suburbs. As well as suburbs of Milwaukee. I maintain that if you are actually doing something, such as shopping, banking, or eating, and not standing on the corner holding a sign, people don't even notice and if they do, few mention anything about it. It's difficult to impossible to tell the difference, although sometimes you can tell that they notice. I've never had anyone run from me in fear, and only one time have someone make a real scene. That was in St. Croix Falls, quite a bit farther NW.

When I compare that the countless positive comments and interesting questions asked I can only conclude that it is not a real problem for most people in WI. I've seen a video of an anti-gun writer that walked Water street in Madison with an empty pistol, and even he said people just don't notice. Too busy to pay attention to surroundings

Law abider

Sorry to nitpick but it's not the badge a LEO needs to carry, it's the agency ID card.

I almost never carry my badge. And when I do I keep it somewhere besides my money wallet. I'd hate to be buying liquor and have someone see a badge in my wallet. They might get the wrong idea! :eek:

When did the perception that leos should be holier than thou originate? WOW! I mean you are just like me. But maybe being in the fish bowl...