Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: What Would You Say to Someone Who Freaks Out at the Sight of a Gun?

  1. #1
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51

    What Would You Say to Someone Who Freaks Out at the Sight of a Gun?

    Hey Everyone,

    It dawned on me today that it may be worth creating a thread on OCDO where people can pitch in with responses they would give to people that freaked out at the sight of a lawful citizen OCing. What would you say/do in such a situation?

    Personally, I'd start with a joke. Something like "because a police officer is too heavy". Lighten the mood and get the person off the defensive end. Then, I'd calmly explain this is for my protection, and to deter criminal attack.

    Does anyone else have something to add, or did I pretty much sum it up? .
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I would probably say "Have you seen this thread?

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...91#post2148491

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    You'll notice that the link to the long running thread referred to by Skidmark is in the General Discussion sub-forum. That is because the query is not limited to conditions of just a single state.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    I would like to point out that the thread being referenced has been completely derailed with off topic discourse. Starting a new one may be a good idea.

    To answer your question though - if someone is uncomfortable with my carry, my reaction will be determinant on the person's demeanor and my mood.

    To the "that makes me uncomfortable and why do you carry question"

    "Sounds like a personal problem"
    "Deal with it"
    "If you really are scared of me carrying, why did you approach me about it?"
    *roll eyes and walk away
    "Don't worry, I won't do anything to protect you if something does happen"
    "It's a nice day outside and it is uncomfortable carrying concealed"
    "I think with the level of crazy these days it is less responsible to not carry"
    "I am not a fighter, in fact I hate fighting, but if someone intends to do me harm I will end it ... period."
    "Because I am a pacifist"

    I find that dressing properly, making eye contact, and smiling negates most apprehension.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    "What Would You Say to Someone Who Freaks Out at the Sight of a Gun? "

    I've never had this happen really. I had one lady, one time approach me to tell me she was afraid because of my gun. That was an easy response. "Obviously you aren't because you walked up and started talking to me" and away she went.

    Besides that I haven't had any big deal reaction. A few stares. Questions if I am LEO - well actually, I almost always get asked if I am a government agent rather than a cop, which is ironic because I have several friends who call me "G-man". It actually was a running joke at the last OC event I attended. But besides that really nothing of significance. Inquiries about my sidearm almost always end up in a friendly interaction of some sort. But maybe I don't get those reactions for the same reason that people ask if I am an agent of some sort. Maybe I just look like the kind of person who would carry a gun or something.

    Because of that, threads like this for me are really just theoretical.

    Perhaps it would be more meaningful in this thread, or perhaps requiring another thread, for people to post actual real life encounters/reactions they have experienced so we can role play responses to actual interactions.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  6. #6
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Nothing. If someone is "freaking out" there is no telling what they might do. Talking to them may set them off to act recklessly. I think I would take out my phone and begin recording their actions.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    You are not from around here are ya?
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    My all time favorite:

    "No hablo Inglés . . ."
    Last edited by OC4me; 07-06-2015 at 03:56 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member tomrkba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    128
    I'd say "Hi!" while smiling and waving.

  10. #10
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Boo!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  11. #11
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    162
    I don't know. Seems to never happen. I was way up in the mountains this morning picking Huckleberries and afterwards swung thru Thompson Falls to pick up some groceries. Colt 1911 in Condition 1, holstered, fully exposed, and nobody even batted an eye.

    Just the way I like it!
    Last edited by MontanaResident; 07-13-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Some 'hoods are sensible, some 'hoods are defiant, jus'depends.

    Here in B'ham, the topic rarely comes up in my daily parade. If I travel a bit south to, say, seattle, it changes quite a bit. People in seattle scream, yell, get nasty and in general wet their pants. SVG (sudden valley gunner) was offered what the sweet little old lady said were poisoned cookies. Commenting that life would be better in seattle if they killed us off. Nasty.

    It would be better, inmho, to continue on with life and not contribute to the spectacle. It will only escalate.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  13. #13
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    It sounds as though that would make great YouTube video

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Some 'hoods are sensible, some 'hoods are defiant, jus'depends.

    Here in B'ham, the topic rarely comes up in my daily parade. If I travel a bit south to, say, seattle, it changes quite a bit. People in seattle scream, yell, get nasty and in general wet their pants. SVG (sudden valley gunner) was offered what the sweet little old lady said were poisoned cookies. Commenting that life would be better in seattle if they killed us off. Nasty.

    It would be better, inmho, to continue on with life and not contribute to the spectacle. It will only escalate.
    Many people would love to see a YouTube video of the disarmists and hoplophobes making idiots of themselves.

  14. #14
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    Many people would love to see a YouTube video of the disarmists and hoplophobes making idiots of themselves.
    You can see this one from the st. louis zoo meet!

    Interesting video of someone harassing an open carrier.

    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
    I'd say "Hi!" while smiling and waving.
    This!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  16. #16
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Oops... Clearly my ability to search a forum is lacking.
    Thanks.

    Best Regards,
    bwarren917

    ----

    Airplanes are cool. Guns are cool. Ford is coolest.

    "Is there some part of 'SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED' that is unclear?"
    ~ Many people

    Sig Sauer P6
    Sig Sauer P225
    Sig Sauer P226 MK25
    Sig Sauer P227
    Sig Sauer P227 Equinox (COMING SOON)

  17. #17
    Regular Member Emmeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Butte, Montana, USA
    Posts
    17
    I've only had three issues in eight years where people freaked out over my open carry (Butte, MT).

    First was a bank (on Dewey, near the post office). Had open carried plenty of times over the course of two years there. Ran $300,000 through their bank all at once and traded large US Treasuries. One day, $55,000 check in hand, I'm stopped at the door by their security and told very rudely that I wasn't coming in carrying "that." He was so forceful, he was spitting saliva. I kept a smile on my face, as I always do, but the security guy and the bank manager were livid - bodily blocking the doorway and leaning threateningly. I closed my account through the drive-in window.

    Second was another bank, Wells Fargo. Had been in multiple times, always polite. Approached by someone not the manager and told I couldn't carry - that the bank was a federal building. The manager who was listening started shaking her head immediately and said, "actually we're not." Good for her because claiming to be a federal employee when you aren't is a federal crime punishable by up to 3 years in prison. Still, I was asked to leave and I did. I now do all my banking there through the drive-thru, though I have been inside open-carrying once when they asked me to come in and they did not ask me to remove it.

    Third was the real freak-out. At Safeway, a checker I hadn't seen before began eyeballing me and quivering. I always smile and act just like any other customer. When we were checking through, she asked, "Are you going to shoot someone?" To which I replied, still with a smile, "My greatest fear is ever having to pull it." She went on for the few minutes checking our groceries about how she hated guns, they caused death, and fear, and blah blah blah. She was making quite a scene. I told her I was licensed to carry, but she even said cops scared her. My wife was pissed, but I shrugged it off.

    Overall, I believe the best response is to keep smiling. If they appear conversant, I tell them I'm licensed (CCP) and to get that license, I had to be cleaner than a cop. That usually abates all that fear. If they appear curious, then I tell them I had to clear both state and federal Department of Justice background checks and fingerprints. Usually at that point, I get smiles in return.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    WV/VA
    Posts
    25
    One thing I've noticed is this.... If I am open carrying and I am alone, I have saw some eyebrows raised, people staring, etc... But never anyone actually "freak out" or felt compelled to act on it. I have also noticed if I am with my wife and kids I might get a glance, then it's dismissed. I guess if you're carrying a gun with a member of the opposite sex or with children present it's more "family friendly"?

    Thankfully, I live in an area that is still very firearm friendly and even most LEO have some type of common sense.
    Last edited by gcbailey; 03-19-2016 at 09:45 AM.

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    But, it only takes one idiot complainant, one idiot cop, one idiot prosecutor and one idiot judge to royally screw-up your life.

  20. #20
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,880
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    But, it only takes one idiot complainant, one idiot cop, one idiot prosecutor and one idiot judge to royally screw-up your life.
    was gong to mention mother's but you covered it with idiot savant..

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    "you looking to grab my gun"

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    "you looking to grab my gun"
    Wanna see it again?


    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-19-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1

    What would I say?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwarren917 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    It dawned on me today that it may be worth creating a thread on OCDO where people can pitch in with responses they would give to people that freaked out at the sight of a lawful citizen OCing. What would you say/do in such a situation?

    Personally, I'd start with a joke. Something like "because a police officer is too heavy". Lighten the mood and get the person off the defensive end. Then, I'd calmly explain this is for my protection, and to deter criminal attack.

    Does anyone else have something to add, or did I pretty much sum it up? .
    I would say, "When seconds matter the police are minutes away?"

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by persistent75 View Post
    I would say, "When seconds matter the police are minutes away?"
    That is always a good reply.

    In the same vein, "Because they don't make a holster big enough for an F16." Or, "Because a cop is too heavy to carry."

    From there, I think it comes down to how much the OCer wants to nuance and finesse the situation.

    For example, several years ago I heard of one OCer responding, "No, I am not a cop (while reaching for cell phone.) But, I can call them right now! What is going on?!"

    I am guessing, if one wants to finesse the situation, it boils down to identifying or guessing the emotional state of the unarmed person, and responding according to his/her emotional state.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    My best reply to an irate customer in a grocery store:

    "Calm down. I'm here so you have someone to hide behind."
    Last edited by Bikenut; 08-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •