• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Seward on July 4th

Mfinsulation

Greetings! I live in anchorage and CC most of the time with a .380 ruger. When I leave town to fish or camp I take my glock 10mm in case I run into an angry bear or moose. This weekend I'm taking my wife and kids to camp at trails lake near moose pass. We plan on spending the day in Seward for the 4th of July festivities. My glock is too large to CC so I'll have to OC. there will be an estimated 30,000 people in the little town. My question is, do you think it would be wise for me to leave my firearm in my vehicle or would I be ok OCing. I really don't want to be harassed for carryin. What would you do?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Greetings! I live in anchorage and CC most of the time with a .380 ruger. When I leave town to fish or camp I take my glock 10mm in case I run into an angry bear or moose. This weekend I'm taking my wife and kids to camp at trails lake near moose pass. We plan on spending the day in Seward for the 4th of July festivities. My glock is too large to CC so I'll have to OC. there will be an estimated 30,000 people in the little town. My question is, do you think it would be wise for me to leave my firearm in my vehicle or would I be ok OCing. I really don't want to be harassed for carryin. What would you do?

I dont know about your run ins with LE in Alaska, but with duty to inform, I guess it would
be a concern during a big festivity...

Carry your big gun in the wilds,,, Then...

Dont be disarmed in Seward,,, conceal your 380 for you and your family and have a good safe time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't know that I agree that OC would be a problem, absenting any special rules in place for a specific venue.

Alaska is a Gold Star state, has total state preemption, LE is said to be very aware of the law and the legality of OC.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=193

Suggest the OP peruse the Alaska sub-forum where more info/examples are available. If it were me, I'd lean strongly to OCing, though both OC and CC are legal w/o a permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I dont know about your run ins with LE in Alaska, but with duty to inform, I guess it would
be a concern during a big festivity...

Carry your big gun in the wilds,,, Then...

Dont be disarmed in Seward,,, conceal your 380 for you and your family and have a good safe time.

"Duty to inform" applies to CC, not OC.

Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree. (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to
(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or
(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/statutes.asp#11.61.220

If other sections of the statutes modify this, please show me how and where.

mobiushky

OC away. I've been to Seward a number of times and OC every time. The only place I CC is the Sealife Center mainly because of the tourists. No one will care most likely. That said, since there will be 30k people in a town that struggles to reach a population of 3k, there will be a LOT of out of towners. That always means unsavory types looking to score a wallet or whatever. If you don't have a decent retention holster on the Glock, maybe CC would be better. I definitely would NOT leave a firearm in an unattended car or campsite. Unless you plan to securely lock it up. Personally I head North for the 4th rather than South. I just prefer to avoid the crowds and the drunks.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

"Duty to inform" applies to CC, not OC.

Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree. (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person
(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,
(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to
(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or
(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/statutes.asp#11.61.220

If other sections of the statutes modify this, please show me how and where.

Thanks for that ,,, "letter of the law"...

I was giving cheap advice to a guy that usually CCs when out and about in the public.
A big touristy event in a town may not be the best place for his opening foray into the Open Carry world.
Not to debate the true legalese of the Law in the Great State of Alaska.

Besides,,, I have studied the ins and outs of Law enforcers of the Great White North.
They really do like "Duty to Inform",, and they like to disarm the unwashed masses "for officer safety"!

I learned all of this on my Tee Vee!!!!

ArtBrownSr

I'm late to this thread but

I think in the Independence Day / Mount Marathon run CROWD precludes open carry for ME. On the other hand when my son in law and I go hunting or fishing in the area OC is what happens.(and that is our favorite area).