• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police take to social media to warn about 'faux gun' cell phone case

OC for ME

Maverick9

"It could force a police officer to open fire", said the broadcaster.

It doesn't take much (apparently)...heh.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
cops said:
...We strongly recommend that you do not use this product both for your own safety and the safety of law enforcement officers.

Because cell phone cameras have ended quite a few cop careers.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I think it is quite a stupid idea in the current social, political and policing environment.

But beyond that, looking at the pictures, it is really really stupid because the case encourages developing muscle memory to immediately put one's finger on the trigger upon touching a gun.

twoskinsonemanns

Yeah stupid.
In VA I imagine you'd be convicted of brandishing if seen holding it up to your ear to take a call.
Officer safety? I don't see that as an issue. Well maybe if the cop shoots and misses the perp and hits another cop.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
“This cell phone case is a terrible idea,” the police department [New Jersey State Police] wrote on its Facebook page. “Officers do not have the luxury of time when making split-second decisions, while interacting with the public. We strongly recommend that you do not use this product both for your own safety and the safety of law enforcement officers.”

Think through on that comment, readers.

Compare to the elements of justified lethal force--ability, opportunity, and jeopardy/intent (AOJ).

What has luxury got to do with it? Why is the writer not explaining how such a phone held to the ear, or "dialed" or "texted" does or does not meet AOJ?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

They just had a bunch of Washington cops talking about this on the news.It pretty much sounded like if we think you have a gun we might kill you.Could have easily been talking about OC.

stealthyeliminator

Think through on that comment, readers.

Compare to the elements of justified lethal force--ability, opportunity, and jeopardy/intent (AOJ).

What has luxury got to do with it? Why is the writer not explaining how such a phone held to the ear, or "dialed" or "texted" does or does not meet AOJ?

It's crazy that there are so many legitimate criticisms for use of this sort of phone case/object, yet the police still manage to come up with terrible, moronic lines of reasoning/statements to oppose its use.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
They just had a bunch of Washington cops talking about this on the news.It pretty much sounded like if we think you have a gun we might kill you.Could have easily been talking about OC.

I was kinda suspecting such phones would mean they would actually have to stop and evaluate an encounter by comparing to AOJ (ability, opportunity, jeopardy/intent--the elements of justified lethal force.) Such police complaints just say, in so many words, "we want to be able to shoot without actually having to stop, look, and evaluate." These phones would tend to put a crimp in the too-often offered generic explanation that the officer felt in fear for his life. If these phones become a little bit common-place, those particular police who would otherwise just shoot would have to do what the rest of us have to do--actually apply AOJ.

Such argument of course is nonsense. Some cops really can't tell when somebody is holding their "gun" to their ear, and talking into it? Or, texting on it?

Or, are they really just opposed to something making their job harder, because, now, for example, in Washington DC, they can't just assume anybody with a "gun" sticking out of their pocket is a criminal? Uh-oh. There went their automatic RAS.

sudden valley gunner

It's crazy that there are so many legitimate criticisms for use of this sort of phone case/object, yet the police still manage to come up with terrible, moronic lines of reasoning/statements to oppose its use.
+1
I was kinda suspecting such phones would mean they would actually have to stop and evaluate an encounter by comparing to AOJ (ability, opportunity, jeopardy/intent--the elements of justified lethal force.) Such police complaints just say, in so many words, "we want to be able to shoot without actually having to stop, look, and evaluate." These phones would tend to put a crimp in the too-often offered generic explanation that the officer felt in fear for his life. If these phones become a little bit common-place, those particular police who would otherwise just shoot would have to do what the rest of us have to do--actually apply AOJ.Such argument of course is nonsense. Some cops really can't tell when somebody is holding their "gun" to their ear, and talking into it? Or, texting on it?Or, are they really just opposed to something making their job harder, because, now, for example, in Washington DC, they can't just assume anybody with a "gun" sticking out of their pocket is a criminal? Uh-oh. There went their automatic RAS.
That does really seem to be the underlying rationalization.Interesting thing is maybe as an unintended side effect if these cases become popular it would help normalize OC and further rights in a weird round about way.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
+1 That does really seem to be the underlying rationalization.Interesting thing is maybe as an unintended side effect if these cases become popular it would help normalize OC and further rights in a weird round about way.

And, I would have to get a T-shirt that says "Its Not A Phone".

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wouldn't the police use of "social media" in a case like this also contaminate potential jurors if/when this goes to trial?

Wouldn't that be to the benefit of the defense? Who is more likely to be a party to the defense if something goes wrong?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wouldn't the police use of "social media" in a case like this also contaminate potential jurors if/when this goes to trial?

Oh, I don't know. I think that could cut both ways. I can see a good plaintiff's attorney using it to support the argument that the police department had a pattern of conduct...

Maverick9

What that could mean is 'if we think you have a gun we might kill you...and get away with it - via an administrative vacation then back on the job'.