Thread: Saw this article and thought of you.....

Saw this article and thought of you.....

"Coincidentally, Walmart sells guns. It also sells caskets. If you’re going to buy the first, you might as well buy the second. You may need it sooner than you think."
    Facepalm/head bang!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

The idiot who wrote this article failed to mention that the fatal flaw behind the "The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence" study is that they only studied gun deaths and refused to acknowledge that over 95% of legitimate defensive gun uses do not involve the law abiding citizen killing the criminal, but rather usually the citizen drawing down and holding the criminal at bay until cops arrive.

Yeh, I saw this article while I was open carrying in bank of America, a couple of these papers were laying on the coffee table in the waiting area. I think Colion Noir says it best, this reporter is the problem. I've just discovered Colion and have been watching some of his youtube video's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8tMr6rN_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRbeuVgWTZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xumlt4ULh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ReKdiIPlg
    Last edited by jsanchez; 07-04-2015 at 03:58 AM.

Sooner or later you'll need a casket. Good advice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Anti gun people are useful idiots. Do they really think murders will stop if you outlaw guns?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    So typical of antis.

Hear evil, see evil, speak evil - problem is they manufacture it where there is none and ignore that the evil that does exist is in the hearts of evil men.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-05-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: changed message
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    While there is no denying the obvious - please explain the reference here.
    Wally World is a much better full-service shopping experience than Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Wally World carries all that, plus chips and caskets. Plus providing a no cover/no minimum floor show. How much better can it get?

And now they usually have a fast food outlet so you will not die of hunger while gawking at all the sights.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The newspaper takes 400 word rebuttal letters I'm thinking of writing one,
    I'm also thinking of taking out a ad in there classified section about open carry just haven't come up with a good idea for it maybe an announcement of a coffee meet up or a picnic at the park there and Mukilteo by the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Wally World is a much better full-service shopping experience --snipped--
    Missed the last line of the article the first time. Totally amended my post.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    --edited by Moderator--
    Cites for facts, solid statistical analysis*, civility?

*Assuming your facts and math to be correct, the only way the percentage holds is everybody shot or suicided is a loner with no family. Separately, there's gotta be a lot of people who don't die after getting shot. Were those included in your stats, or are they a separate stat for "gun violence"?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-05-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: this quote not acceptable on OCDO
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP equals less than 1% of Americans being effected by gun violence.
    Glad to know the biblical method of effecting people hasn't been totally replaced yet.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-05-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Dear ....
    Thank you so very much for confirming the stereotype of gun-owners as uneducated bitter clinger mental midgets who just stepped off the short bus. Your spittle-spraying tirade will ensure that any reasoned responses are ignored. As more and more folks are saying, "Please stop helping".

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

*Assuming your facts and math to be correct, the only way the percentage holds is everybody shot or suicided is a loner with no family. Separately, there's gotta be a lot of people who don't die after getting shot. Were those included in your stats, or are they a separate stat for "gun violence"?
    The facts are more or less correct, on average yearly 30,000 people are killed by guns every year. The math was correct, simple formula for averages. If you want to include wounding and friends and family trauma tized, then the number would be closer to 10%and thats per year. If this happens year after year, your looking at epidemic numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

The facts are more or less correct, on average yearly 30,000 people are killed by guns every year. The math was correct, simple formula for averages. If you want to include wounding and friends and family trauma tized, then the number would be closer to 10%and thats per year. If this happens year after year, your looking at epidemic numbers.
    Still do not see the requested cite - that and your numbers and conclusion would appear inconsistent with respected, independent studies. What follows is a cite.

"Since 1993, the United States has seen a drop in the rate of homicides and other violence involving guns, according to two new studies released Tuesday. Using government data, analysts saw a steep drop for violence in the 1990s, they saw more modest drops in crime rates since 2000."

"Firearm-related homicides dropped from 18,253 homicides in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011," according to a report by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, "and nonfatal firearm crimes dropped from 1.5 million victimizations in 1993 to 467,300 in 2011."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...993-study-says

Founder's Club Member
    Its less me wanting to include it, than looking at your letter with an editor's eye and spotting the discrepancy. If you send a letter-to-the editor that includes that point about people affected by gun violence, I'm guessing many readers would spot that you only included the shot dead and shot suicides, leaving out all the wounded and the families. I mean you did ask whether you'd left out anything; I was literally pointing out a particular flaw that would tend to discredit you to any readers who spotted the same flaw.

Archipley who wrote the article is a want-a-be journalist who now wishes to be a 'publisher' so now 'publishes' three internet newspapers from his retirement community center. http://mukilteobeacon.villagesoup.co...1013298/153299

one would believe a 'seasoned' journalist would try to validate their stats as well as un-bias their emotional rant. guess not

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Still do not see the requested cite - that and your numbers and conclusion would appear inconsistent with respected, independent studies. What follows is a cite.

"Since 1993, the United States has seen a drop in the rate of homicides and other violence involving guns, according to two new studies released Tuesday. Using government data, analysts saw a steep drop for violence in the 1990s, they saw more modest drops in crime rates since 2000."

"Firearm-related homicides dropped from 18,253 homicides in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011," according to a report by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, "and nonfatal firearm crimes dropped from 1.5 million victimizations in 1993 to 467,300 in 2011."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...993-study-says
    I made a mistake, I confused the total murders with total gun murders. I use the FBI uniform crime reports. This 2013 table has a lower number for 2011 than your above quote, but maybe I'm missing something

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc..._2009-2013.xls

So this new data would lower my percentage from .9 maybe down to .7 if the suicide numbers are lower than 15000 a year.

I greatly appreciate everyone's sharpshooting and critical thinking on this.

Also if you have HBO, I recommend Requiem for the Dead: American Spring 2014, I found insight into the way American males are raised or think maladaptively in some of the homicides. It gave me insight into what is happening with gun violence in our country today, give it a view if you have the time and network.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Archipley who wrote the article is a want-a-be journalist who now wishes to be a 'publisher' so now 'publishes' three internet newspapers from his retirement community center. http://mukilteobeacon.villagesoup.co...1013298/153299

one would believe a 'seasoned' journalist would try to validate their stats as well as un-bias their emotional rant. guess not

ipse
    +1