• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw this article and thought of you.....

golddigger14s

Activist Member
"Coincidentally, Walmart sells guns. It also sells caskets. If you’re going to buy the first, you might as well buy the second. You may need it sooner than you think."
Facepalm/head bang!

Alpine

The idiot who wrote this article failed to mention that the fatal flaw behind the "The Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence" study is that they only studied gun deaths and refused to acknowledge that over 95% of legitimate defensive gun uses do not involve the law abiding citizen killing the criminal, but rather usually the citizen drawing down and holding the criminal at bay until cops arrive.

jsanchez

Last edited:

martyjohns51

Sooner or later you'll need a casket. Good advice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

martyjohns51

Anti gun people are useful idiots. Do they really think murders will stop if you outlaw guns?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So typical of antis.

Hear evil, see evil, speak evil - problem is they manufacture it where there is none and ignore that the evil that does exist is in the hearts of evil men.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While there is no denying the obvious - please explain the reference here.

Wally World is a much better full-service shopping experience than Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Wally World carries all that, plus chips and caskets. Plus providing a no cover/no minimum floor show. How much better can it get?

And now they usually have a fast food outlet so you will not die of hunger while gawking at all the sights.

stay safe.

jsanchez

The newspaper takes 400 word rebuttal letters I'm thinking of writing one,
I'm also thinking of taking out a ad in there classified section about open carry just haven't come up with a good idea for it maybe an announcement of a coffee meet up or a picnic at the park there and Mukilteo by the ferry.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
--edited by Moderator--

Cites for facts, solid statistical analysis*, civility? :)

*Assuming your facts and math to be correct, the only way the percentage holds is everybody shot or suicided is a loner with no family. Separately, there's gotta be a lot of people who don't die after getting shot. Were those included in your stats, or are they a separate stat for "gun violence"?

Last edited by a moderator:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dear ....

Thank you so very much for confirming the stereotype of gun-owners as uneducated bitter clinger mental midgets who just stepped off the short bus. Your spittle-spraying tirade will ensure that any reasoned responses are ignored. As more and more folks are saying, "Please stop helping".

stay safe.

jsanchez

*Assuming your facts and math to be correct, the only way the percentage holds is everybody shot or suicided is a loner with no family. Separately, there's gotta be a lot of people who don't die after getting shot. Were those included in your stats, or are they a separate stat for "gun violence"?

The facts are more or less correct, on average yearly 30,000 people are killed by guns every year. The math was correct, simple formula for averages. If you want to include wounding and friends and family trauma tized, then the number would be closer to 10%and thats per year. If this happens year after year, your looking at epidemic numbers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The facts are more or less correct, on average yearly 30,000 people are killed by guns every year. The math was correct, simple formula for averages. If you want to include wounding and friends and family trauma tized, then the number would be closer to 10%and thats per year. If this happens year after year, your looking at epidemic numbers.

Still do not see the requested cite - that and your numbers and conclusion would appear inconsistent with respected, independent studies. What follows is a cite.

"Since 1993, the United States has seen a drop in the rate of homicides and other violence involving guns, according to two new studies released Tuesday. Using government data, analysts saw a steep drop for violence in the 1990s, they saw more modest drops in crime rates since 2000."

"Firearm-related homicides dropped from 18,253 homicides in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011," according to a report by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, "and nonfatal firearm crimes dropped from 1.5 million victimizations in 1993 to 467,300 in 2011."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...gun-violence-has-fallen-since-1993-study-says

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Its less me wanting to include it, than looking at your letter with an editor's eye and spotting the discrepancy. If you send a letter-to-the editor that includes that point about people affected by gun violence, I'm guessing many readers would spot that you only included the shot dead and shot suicides, leaving out all the wounded and the families. I mean you did ask whether you'd left out anything; I was literally pointing out a particular flaw that would tend to discredit you to any readers who spotted the same flaw.

jsanchez

Still do not see the requested cite - that and your numbers and conclusion would appear inconsistent with respected, independent studies. What follows is a cite.

"Since 1993, the United States has seen a drop in the rate of homicides and other violence involving guns, according to two new studies released Tuesday. Using government data, analysts saw a steep drop for violence in the 1990s, they saw more modest drops in crime rates since 2000."

"Firearm-related homicides dropped from 18,253 homicides in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011," according to a report by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, "and nonfatal firearm crimes dropped from 1.5 million victimizations in 1993 to 467,300 in 2011."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...gun-violence-has-fallen-since-1993-study-says

I made a mistake, I confused the total murders with total gun murders. I use the FBI uniform crime reports. This 2013 table has a lower number for 2011 than your above quote, but maybe I'm missing something

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...able_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2009-2013.xls

So this new data would lower my percentage from .9 maybe down to .7 if the suicide numbers are lower than 15000 a year.

I greatly appreciate everyone's sharpshooting and critical thinking on this.

Also if you have HBO, I recommend Requiem for the Dead: American Spring 2014, I found insight into the way American males are raised or think maladaptively in some of the homicides. It gave me insight into what is happening with gun violence in our country today, give it a view if you have the time and network.

jsanchez