Thread: HBO Documentary: Requiem for the Dead: American Spring 2014

HBO Documentary: Requiem for the Dead: American Spring 2014

I was OCing while watching this.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/req...an-spring-2014

This program narrates many very sad, tragic stories of people who died from gunshots for a variety of reasons during the Spring of 2014. It slants things heavily toward the conclusion that the cause of these tragedies was easy access to firearms, in many cases by those who should not have had such access (e.g. toddlers).

However, it makes an issue of an overriding statistic based upon the number of people killed each year (some 32,000) along with a claim that there are some 310,000,000 privately owned firearms in the US, a quantity that is nearly the same as the population. While they don't say so directly, the implication is that there are too many firearms in the hands of individuals, thus the great danger of injury/death from them.

A simpler statistic might be that these 32,000 deceased folks represent a miniscule fraction of the population (31,000/310,000,000 = 0.01013%), which suggests (at least to me) that firearms aren't really much of a threat. I don't have the stats handy, but I'm sure there are other devices/activities with widespread use which are a greater threat.

We had such an issue in a nearby community yesterday when a preschooler found his dad's handgun and fatally shot himself while both parents were home.

Is it time to beat the Education Drum?
    Last edited by 2a4all; 07-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

There you go using logic and reasoning again. Plus you threw in math to show how you arrived at a statistic, as opposed to pulling it out of your 4th point of contact.

Antis just ignore that stuff.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The America I knew and loved is dead.

How about the one you knew and loved?
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    The America I knew and loved is dead.

How about the one you knew and loved?
    We are IMHO retaking lost ground - eternal vigilance required.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-04-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There you go using logic and reasoning again. Plus you threw in math to show how you arrived at a statistic, as opposed to pulling it out of your 4th point of contact.

Antis just ignore that stuff.

stay safe.
    What? Was I thinking?

Of course, my stat may be oversimplifying the issue. Perhaps the threat is so small because all those gun owners are just irresponsibly blazing away at anything that moves, but their marksmanship is so poor they only hit 0.01013% of their targets? Oh, wait; do they actually make that much ammunition?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Is it time to beat the Education Drum?
    Only if you want to be called racist for citing FBI UCR stats.